Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

98lwatso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I am considering selling my Mac Pro after several years of faithful service. I am working more out of home so I am finding I use my MacBook Pro much more often now, or the studios' own Mac Pro system when working with them.

I am hoping it to be worth something still as it has been cared for and upgraded with bits and pieces of the years. I used to have it in an office for a TV show in the UK where it was probably the oldest machine, but still the fastest.

Here are the specs:

• Mac Pro 3,1 (2008)
  • 2 x Quad Core 2.8Ghz
  • 16GB RAM
  • NVidia Quadro 4000 2GB graphics
  • Areca RAID card (Bootable, 6GB/s)
  • Blu-Ray RW drive (writes and plays blu-rays)
  • OCZ Vertex 3 SATA III SSD as boot drive (240GB)
  • 8TB HDD in the 4 bays, all at SATA III speed through the RAID card (currently at RAID 5)
  • Blackmagic SDI in and out
  • eSATA card (SATA II)
  • 2 x 24 inch Cinema Displays (the old matte type)

I also still have the old Apple RAID card that came with the machine, not sure if thats worth anything?

I wonder if this will sell at all, considering its an old machine with lots added to it to bring it up to speed, where you could probably get all this built in to a new system.

Lee

Last edited:

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
If I had the money, I would not mind paying between $1000-$2000 (probably $1500) for this system. The two cinema displays and boot drive are pretty nice.

Can the processors be upgraded on a Mac Pro?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
I see these 2008 3,1 go for about $800-$900 on ebay all the time, but they don't include the monitors. People do still buy them

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Wow.....

really took a little bit of time figure out a quote for a nicely and heavy upgraded Mac Pro!....So, cutting the chase: I would say beetwen $ 1350-1500 tops, adding $700 for each monitor.Good care of the equipment and no cosmetic/functional issues can help the price, IMHO

Especialized hardware needs often especialized users. And not too many users in the seconhand-market are willing to pay the price for the upgrades, being too price-driven (searching the lower $$ figure).....

Good luck selling that beast!:D

:):apple:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I see these 2008 3,1 go for about $800-$900 on ebay all the time, but they don't include the monitors. People do still buy them

They also don't include some of the expensive add-on hardware. I'm not sure how I'd price such a thing personally. It has a fair amount of ram, which is really great as that's typically one of the expensive things to upgrade on the 1,3 through 3,1. The raid card, quadro, and black magic sdi are arguably valuable, but a buyer might be looking for something newer than the 2008. The OP might end up having to split it up if he doesn't receive good enough offers. The displays depend on the condition they're in. The 24" ones aren't that incredible. Their value depends on their condition. That is quite a rig though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.