Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
And that can't be substantiated either. Bottom line is we don't have any statistics about what percentage of jailbreakers pirate apps, so we just end up relying on our own experience and reasoning to make guesses.

I would guess that most adults with decent enough incomes to afford to buy their own iPhone or iPad would have very little incentive to jailbreak just to avoid paying for apps, especially given that most App Store apps cost under $5. On the other hand, kids who were given an iDevice by their parents and don't have much of an allowance would have more motivation to pirate apps.
There's a few rich actors in Hollywood that have a penchant for shoplifting yet they have money to pay for it.

Human nature and all.

just sayin'

:)

Note the words I bolded :) So your response doesn't really contradict what I said. I still think it's a reasonable guess that for the most part, people are much more likely to steal something that would be hard for them to get otherwise, than something that is easy for them to get.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Apple is surely nervous by quickly updating a Knowledge Base article to discourage jailbreak today.

Let the pressure keep building up ...... :)

I read there site and thought, well, if I could delete those useless apps I never use, or change the look, or .........

Inability to apply future software updates

I suppose they are talking about the updates that either never happen or for stuff everyone figured out how to do years ago?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Hi guys,
Please help ,I have a iPad 4th gen.
1. How do I install software have no idea I download the software on iPad ,have no idea how to put it onto iPad , what do I use to make it work ?
2.Will all my original iPad apps still work if i jailbreak it?
3.If I choose the windows jailbreak ,can I put office on iPad??

1. After you jailbreak there will be a new icon (app) called Cydia on your screen. It won't be on your home page so look for it on the other screens on your iPad. If you only have a few apps installed from the regular iOS App Store then it will more than likely be on the second screen to the right (swipe left).

Cydia has apps both free and paid that you can download and install. There are many different tweaks like adding some settings to your notification center that are free. Some of course can cost from $.99 to $4.99 and more. Then there are apps that would not pass Apple's guidelines that you can buy like a tethering app for example. You can also install themes to make your iPad unique to you.

You should really use Google to find more information about Cydia. There are hundreds if not thousands of articles about it.

2. Yes your original apps will work
3. No you will not be able to install office. You will only be able to install regular App Store apps or Cydia apps.

I hope that helps but like I said earlier you should research Cydia and jailbreaking in general to be sure that it's for you and in fact is what you want.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Apple is surely nervous by quickly updating a Knowledge Base article to discourage jailbreak today.

Let the pressure keep building up ...... :)

Interesting

"Inability to apply future software updates: Some unauthorized modifications have caused damage to iOS that is not repairable. This can result in the hacked iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iOS update is installed."

I have always heard this is not true

"Apple strongly cautions against installing any software that hacks iOS. It is also important to note that unauthorized modification of iOS is a violation of iOS end-user license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software. "

The day It happens is the Day I sell Off every apple Product I own Tim cook, and the Day I never purchase another apple product again.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
1,699,950 people do it to pirate apps. The other 50 post on message boards about how they do it to get various pet features and have no interest in pirating, and most other jailbreakers must have the same intentions.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
1,699,950 people do it to pirate apps. The other 50 post on message boards about how they do it to get various pet features and have no interest in pirating, and most other jailbreakers must have the same intentions.

Can you provide any facts to backup your statements ?

Count me in as one of those 50 I guess. Apps are so cheap it's not worth the hassle to steal them....

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Can you provide any facts to backup your statements ?

Count me in as one of those 50 I guess. Apps are so cheap it's not worth the hassle to steal them....

Same here, I never even gave that any thought, I just wanted to tweak my setup a bit, delete useless apps, layout, themes, apps Apple does not like and so forth.

G33and

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
yeah i only JB to have access to tethering. the clowns that assume we all pirate will always be there so no point in arguing.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
I have found renewed love for my iPhone 5! Thanks JBers! I probably spend more $ on Cydia apps than I do real AppStore ones.

Support your JB developers! I did, PayPal'ed those guys $10! They did an unreal job! :D

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Name 10 (everyone).

I will probably Jailbreak, and I normally have no interest in doing so, for 1 reason: To get rid of the piss-stained tint the "richer colour" display on my iPhone 5 has. Since Apple won't give me the option to adjust it to a correct spec from it's 106% green, 92% blue, 81% red (measured with a light meter) default settings. They really are slipping with these things.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
simple:
1. the ability to "hide" the native apps that i dont use, like stocks, weather, NEWSSTAND,...
2. with one swipe up, i can close all my background apps (in the application switcher);
3. with a swipe down, i can close any specific app (in the application switcher);
4. the ability to ignore/hide app updates (when they no longer support your device or iOS);
5. customize gestures for a given task. like replacing the home-button's function with a gesture;
6. camera: add the ability to do time lapse or a timer. You can even set a custom frame rate, aspect ratio and resolution while shooting video.
7. add the ability to make googlemaps the default maps app on the device;
8. i can backup and/or reuse all my saved games across all my devices;
9. move multiple items at a time, in the home screen;
10. transform my device into a hotspot with no extra charges, videochating and download heavy files (>20mb) through 3g...
11. attach more than 5 photos to an email;

im not talking about customizing fonts or stuff. i am talking about productivity and ease of use. simple things that speed up my flow and minimize my frustration. cheers.

All ten and more reason I gave up the iPhone so I can do all that without dicking around. I am certainly not against I phones in general (I mean I had one since the first non-3G) but it really is time for Apple to get their act together (not that the majority of buyer obviously cares).

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Auxo, BiteSMS, Zephyr, IntelliscreenX...
THE reasons to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad and to complain against apple's lack of listening to the users :mad:

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
You've jail broken in the past - is your assumption based on your own past behavior?

Nope, I've never pirated an app. In fact, I'm an app developer. I'm not assuming anything, but with 1.7 million installs, even if only 1% of those installs decide to use it pirate apps, that's still 17,000 people pirating apps.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Nope, I've never pirated an app. In fact, I'm an app developer. I'm not assuming anything, but with 1.7 million installs, even if only 1% of those installs decide to use it pirate apps, that's still 17,000 people pirating apps.

There are something like 500 million iOS devices sold to date. Not a single one of them has to be jailbroken in order to place pirated apps on it! Even if 1% of the non-jailbroken iOS devices decide to pirate apps, that's going to be more than the total number of jailbroken devices.

Why aren't you (and others) commenting about all the non-jailbroken iOS devices which are fully capable of pirating apps?

emulator

macrumors 6502a

Yes, to pirate stuff that was banned from their app store, like Comic Reader Mobi? :facepalm:

Only idiots see the world b/w and label people they don't even now.

Why aren't you (and others) commenting about all the non-jailbroken iOS devices which are fully capable of pirating apps?
Because they are stupid enough to think like the music labels: each d/l is a loss of sale. :D

achtung!

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2005
Portugal
The other apps I can understand, but you don't use Weather?
yes i don't use it a lot :) but it was just an example. i could have written compass, calendar... and i have the ability to hide the apps. even if one day i really need the compass, i can still search for it and there you have it. but this way i can simplify my homescreen with apps that i really use on daily basis.

I don't use the camera a lot so I wouldn't know, but aren't those functions provided through 3rd party apps?
with these tweaks you can have your native camera app doing a lot more stuff. no need for other apps.

Does jailbreak make this possible? An iCloud replacement that would work across games?
you can backup your saved games to the dropbox, and then "install" those saved games in other devices. btw, apple's game center only saves your achievements and only a few games support icloud integration to save your game progress. for me, being able to save games via gamecenter would be huge.

It was my understanding that these limitations are dictated by carriers, not Apple. To illustrate with an example, in Japan, you can't use Personal Hotspot at all because Japanese carriers won't allow it.
And by the way, video-chatting on 3G has been available for more than a couple of years (Skype for iPhone) and the download cap over 3G was raised to 50MB about a year ago.

you're right, the limitations are from the carriers not from apple, but with jailbreak you can workaround them and use some applications like FaceTime, iCloud Backup, Photo Stream or high quality YouTube videos while on a mobile internet connection like 3G (without worry if your carrier allows it or not) because why do you really want a locked 20mb or 50mb limit? you're paying for data, and you're using it. fair deal. i know carriers will complain about infrastructures but most people won't use this on daily bases cause it's costy, but it's useful from time-to-time. if i want to download heavy stuff i should. with jailbreak you can. it would be awesome if i could set a warning for a specific download cap, confirm and proceed at my risk. ;)

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Weird eh ? I've heard of people rooting their android phone to be more like the iPhone.

Funny.

;)

No, we root to get the next version of OS or to unlock the potential of the phones.

Edit:
I have one android and just JB my iPad 2 and iPhone 5.

SenorVvangIstMoi

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Bristol, UK
wow .. impressive statistics right there.
still cant believe without Installous there are still so many folks right there just wanted to customise there iDevices..

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
wow .. impressive statistics right there.
still cant believe without Installous there are still so many folks right there just wanted to customise there iDevices..

There's a lot more to do than just customize. You can enhance the functionality of the device like crazy. It's not about stealing apps.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
buying apps from Cydia

Newbie question here. Hopefully on topic enough.

I have an iPhone 5, and this is going to be my first iDevice that I jail break.

How do you pay for the apps from Cydia?

Is there some other way to purchase Cydia apps other than paypal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.