Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I really like my iPad, but the problem is its limitation. I don't think that tablet will be a laptop replacement. For me, it is just the device for surfing the web or playing games.

apple-creation-0420-rm-eng.jpg

That's exactly what the iPad was billed as... a 3rd device between a smartphone and a laptop.

Surface Pro is trying to be both a tablet and a laptop.

It's a powerful tablet that can run all your legacy programs... and that's actually pretty cool.

But its dismal battery life and 10" screen doesn't sound like a laptop replacement to me.

I dunno... I think I'd rather have a decent "traditional" Windows laptop... and a small tablet for light use.

Trying to combine them both in one device really is a compromise.

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
I'm fairly happy with my Air/iPad combo. Plenty of juice between them and easy enough to carry. The reviews all seem to have plenty of issues with the surface. Seems to need a bit of work before much consideration can be given.

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
We shouldn't say anything before we actually try using the product. iPad also received lots of criticism when it was announced. However, only having 30GB of usable storage when it is advertised as 64GB will be frustrating.

To be honest I tried a surface RT and was impressed.

I think Microsoft is heading in the right direction.

The key board cover with mouse pad is a killer feature that I wish the iPad had.

The office that it ships with is far better than anything on the iPad.

The pro on the other hand needs more storage space 256 gig and better battery life.
This is version one. I think this product will take off at version 2.

I think Apple released the 128 gig iPad as a reaction to the surface. I think they understand that they are falling behind.

I think they need to get office on the iPad and need to make the MacBook Air and pro into convertible touch screen devices.

Vodka

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Microsofts tablet is too expensive to be a toy and too diminutive to be a production machine. I can't think of anything serious that I'd want to do on a 10" M$ tablet. If it's something quick like browsing/email then an iPad would be better. If it something serious like graphic design or programming then I want a bigger screen.

seriously, what's the use of this "surface abortion":(

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
Why do you need excel on an iPad? There are several options for opening, editing and creating XLSX files on an iPad right now.

That is true but they are so limited. Name one that allows importing a file with filters with sorting. There great for simple spreadsheets. Name one that can import merged cells gracefully?

Until they can do this I again say Office is needed. My company is already talking about dropping iPads because of this limitation.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
From the concluding remarks of that review:

Weird positions? :eek: What I think he's trying to say is, a dedicated laptop computer is better at being a laptop computer.

In other words, a dedicated tablet is better at being a tablet.

Well, at least the guy has faith! :)

That's all you came away with after reading a 10 page review with many postives? :confused:

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
You know Microsoft failed badly, when even Acer has the best Windows tablet with 8 hours battery life and superior screen.

dsah

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I'm so sick of the ****ing anti-Windows propaganda that dominates mainstream technology media. Gizmodo complaining about apps that are too high-res - resize the mother****ers! I didn't see them make note of the ****house iOS when the iPad was realised.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm so sick of the ****ing anti-Windows propaganda that dominates mainstream technology media. Gizmodo complaining about apps that are too high-res - resize the mother****ers! I didn't see them make note of the ****house iOS when the iPad was realised.

Read the AnandTech review. He is quite fair and tells it like it is without any fanboy point of view. He always gives very unbiased, in depth reviews with plenty of test numbers.

pundit

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2007
Actually the real question is : How does Excel run on the MacBook Air ?

A Macbook Air is utterly different from a slate PC. Want to use it without a hardware keyboard? Can't (well.. it would work UNTIL you removed the screen...) Even if you could.. it doesn't have a touch screen. It also doesn't have a digitizer for inking.

A regular laptop has far less input flexibility, and that's what makes a convertible or hybrid special.

As for the Surface Pro, the thing that kills it is mostly the battery. The obvious problem is the non-haswell chipset, or the lack of a removable or dock-extended battery.

The Thinkpad Helix has a dock battery. The Kapa Ultranote has a removable battery... both better solutions to the 4hr battery life... until Haswell comes out later in the year and allows for genuine battery life in a slate PC.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

have you ever thought that maybe you are wrong since you are in the minority?

----------

That's exactly what the iPad was billed as... a 3rd device between a smartphone and a laptop.

Surface Pro is trying to be both a tablet and a laptop.

It's a powerful tablet that can run all your legacy programs... and that's actually pretty cool.

But its dismal battery life and 10" screen doesn't sound like a laptop replacement to me.

I dunno... I think I'd rather have a decent "traditional" Windows laptop... and a small tablet for light use.

Trying to combine them both in one device really is a compromise.

the thing about being between a phone and a laptop is you need easy access(phone) portability(laptop). The surface you have to open up and use a pen. The iPad you just look at and use your finger. Much more inviting to use than the surface.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
iPad: the multibillion dollar gimmick.

Well, 90% of the world's population is "uneducated", for various reasons. Just need to find a product that exploits the big masses... which Apple is expert of.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
*Too heavy. I rather have a MacBook Air 11-inch with extra ports and OS X inside! A shame Apple has not a tablet 400 to 600 g of weight, though.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

----------

the thing about being between a phone and a laptop is you need easy access(phone) portability(laptop). The surface you have to open up and use a pen. The iPad you just look at and use your finger. Much more inviting to use than the surface.

No, you can use either Surface without a keyboard cover just like the iPad. :)

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Wether you like it or not, the surface is the future.

Not necessarily - if "nobody* likes it, it isn't the future.

However, something like this could well be. I'd liek a MacBook Air but one one which the (touch) screen and body are connected magnetically - separate them, and the screen runs iOS and becomes an 11" iPad. Or, conversly, a more powerfull iPad that runs OS X when a keyboard is attached (iOS apps still available, of course).

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
As expected, it's junk. Just an overpriced laptop.

There's something wrong if a company can sell increasingly smelly trash for 10 years and still maintain an extremely dominant market share.

You should consider changing your signature line as I have no idea what it means.

Ditto for the 'racist' in your iID

pundit

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2007

----------

No, you can use either Surface without a keyboard cover just like the iPad. :)

Nor do you have to use a pen. Its yet another option (abeit a useful one.)

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
If it didn't run Windows 8, it would be a pretty decent option...

LoL have you even used Win 8? What would YOU have it run? I think Win 8 is great and after a slight learning curve I find it easier to navigate than any other windows or mac OS.

Tablets have already replaced laptops for 99.9% of the general public.

Proof you're not just pulling these numbers out your butt?

Last edited:

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I got to play around with this a few weeks back on set, my only real complaint is the resolution is so high it always feels as though you're holding it to far away (when in regular Windows mode)

Windows has always had problems with resolution and UI scaling. That's why I don't want 1080p, the desktop UI looks tiny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.