Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larissa1

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
How do the sites that do factory unlocking work, by that I mean how do they access Apples data base and get your IMEI factory unlocked with Apple?

For example, in the UK with a phone not on contract (payngo), Vodafone you can pay them £19.99 to be unlocked, but you need proof of purchase and to have a valid working sim and phone has to be at least 12 months old. Now you can also use a third party unlock site, pay a little more, and all that is needed is the IMEI, of course it can't be barred or network blocked or stolen.

So what do the unlockers do when they get your IMEI to perform the factory unlock? Does anyone know, I'm curious how the unlocking business works.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
To answer your question: Yes, it still works. You can still unlock your phone using those sites.

You didn't ask if it was legal or not right? So the answer is yes it still works.

If the site is outside the USA then it could very well be legal, most countries don't have such strange laws.

Land of the free? Keep telling yourself that....

majoras

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Good evening everyone,

I have an iPhone 4 that i updated to 6.1 (baseband 04.12.05), and it's blocked with T-Mobile (netherlands) sim. I don't have this sim anymore and when i put my french sim card, it says : " No SIM Card Installed, Insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock to activate iPhone".

If i pay for a service (like you purpose in this topic) to unlock the IMEI of my phone, will it be ok to activate my iPhone with my french SIM card ? Or I will still need this "original" SIM card ?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Nimravus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
If the site is outside the USA then it could very well be legal, most countries don't have such strange laws.

Land of the free? Keep telling yourself that....

I have no idea. I was just answering the question which was if the unlock sites still works. He didn't ask anything about the legalities.

jack66

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
does anyone know the credability of of the IMEI unlock services for the iphone 5 on ebay? thanks.

YellowNimbus

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Georgia, USA
does anyone know the credability of of the IMEI unlock services for the iphone 5 on ebay? thanks.

Most of them are credible. Check out their feedback ratings, that might help. See how long and how many they've sold. Their days are numbered, however. eBay is cracking down on them (shutting them down) as I've been told personally by one of the largest, legit unlockers out there. Mainly because no tangible product is being sold.

The truly legit ones are transitioning or focusing on their existing web sites and the pricing is still good.

YellowNimbus

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Georgia, USA
Good evening everyone,

I have an iPhone 4 that i updated to 6.1 (baseband 04.12.05), and it's blocked with T-Mobile (netherlands) sim. I don't have this sim anymore and when i put my french sim card, it says : " No SIM Card Installed, Insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock to activate iPhone".

If i pay for a service (like you purpose in this topic) to unlock the IMEI of my phone, will it be ok to activate my iPhone with my french SIM card ? Or I will still need this "original" SIM card ?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Yes, you will still need your French SIM card. Part of the unlocking procedure involves using a "non-approved" SIM card, so hold on to that French SIM. Under certain circumstances a SIM card from the original carrier may be necessary, even if that original carrier SIM card is not active.

Try to get a hold of an old T-Mobile Netherlands SIM card from a friend - it doesn't have to be activated. It just has to be from the carrier the iPhone was originally locked to.

In either case, you may officially unlock your iPhone remotely using an online service. The unlock is permanent regardless of the SIM card you may have on hand at the time. The unlock may be activated at any time afterwards, there is no expiration period.

And, by the way, your English is just fine ;-)

Here are some step by step iPhone unlocking instructions

Last edited:

workerman

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Sprint iphone 4s unlock?

desperately in need of an unlock for my Sprint iphone 4s. Any legit services recommendations out there? That don't cost over $200?!

HALP!:eek:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
desperately in need of an unlock for my Sprint iphone 4s. Any legit services recommendations out there? That don't cost over $200?!

HALP!:eek:

Sprint will unlock your 4S (free) if your account has been in good standing. It will only work overseas though.

majoras

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Yes, you will still need your French SIM card. Part of the unlocking procedure involves using a "non-approved" SIM card, so hold on to that French SIM. Under certain circumstances a SIM card from the original carrier may be necessary, even if that original carrier SIM card is not active.

Try to get a hold of an old T-Mobile Netherlands SIM card from a friend - it doesn't have to be activated. It just has to be from the carrier the iPhone was originally locked to.

In either case, you may officially unlock your iPhone remotely using an online service. The unlock is permanent regardless of the SIM card you may have on hand at the time. The unlock may be activated at any time afterwards, there is no expiration period.

And, by the way, your English is just fine ;-)

Well, I guess I speak better than I understand, because even after a lot of readings, I'm not sure about what you're telling me ahah.

The original SIM that would unlock my iPhone is the Netherlands "T-Mobile" one. Mine, the one i want to use is French "SFR".

My iPhone is locked, I can't use my French "SFR" SIM card since I upgraded it to 6.1 (damn mistake). I would need, I know, at a Netherlands "T-Mobile" at least to bypash the unlock screen, even if the iPhone is still locked to this unique operator.
But it's impossible for me to get a Netherlands "T-Mobile" SIM card, because I live in France and there's no way to buy it.

So I would like to know if the factory unlock (with the IMEI code, like http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk ) will do the both ? Activate the iPhone to finally access to the menu AND unlock the iPhone to be able to call my friends, texts and everything with my French "SFR" SIM card.

I'm pretty sure (according to all the opinions I read) that it will desimlock the iPhone without issues, but if I can't activate the iPhone and bypass the unlock screen, it's still going to be a problem.

Btw, thanks a lot for answering me, it's really nice of you.

workerman

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
@pssstgeek Yea I tried to get them to unlock, but like you said...only good for international travel and not the US. :(

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
@pssstgeek Yea I tried to get them to unlock, but like you said...only good for international travel and not the US. :(

Only other option like my greek bud said its a gevey but not sure if it works on all firmware and baseband versions and its not really a solid solution.
Up to you.
No other way to unlock a sprint 4S for domestic US use.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
Well, I guess I speak better than I understand, because even after a lot of readings, I'm not sure about what you're telling me ahah.

The original SIM that would unlock my iPhone is the Netherlands "T-Mobile" one. Mine, the one i want to use is French "SFR".

My iPhone is locked, I can't use my French "SFR" SIM card since I upgraded it to 6.1 (damn mistake). I would need, I know, at a Netherlands "T-Mobile" at least to bypash the unlock screen, even if the iPhone is still locked to this unique operator.
But it's impossible for me to get a Netherlands "T-Mobile" SIM card, because I live in France and there's no way to buy it.

So I would like to know if the factory unlock (with the IMEI code, like http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk ) will do the both ? Activate the iPhone to finally access to the menu AND unlock the iPhone to be able to call my friends, texts and everything with my French "SFR" SIM card.

I'm pretty sure (according to all the opinions I read) that it will desimlock the iPhone without issues, but if I can't activate the iPhone and bypass the unlock screen, it's still going to be a problem.

Btw, thanks a lot for answering me, it's really nice of you.
Yes.

zink1

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
So I would like to know if the factory unlock (with the IMEI code, like http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk ) will do the both ?
Please read carefully, as at the moment I can't be sure they're a scam.
Just to let u know I ordered an IMEI unlock in that site. It says "Approximate Timeframe: 1-5 days", 10 days have passed and still no sign of unlock.
Meanwhile I made some research and read about many users complaining on their service and accusing this site of being a scam (u can find it yourself if you want, just google it)
What I'm sure of: If I could order again, I would choose another service, in another site.
Which one? I read a lot of posts and sites, trying to collect some info, and still don't know which site to trust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.