Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Seems ideal for illustrations and digital artists.

Actually compared to a Wacom 12 Cintiq, the surface pro offers a higher resolution all in one tablet with 1024 pressure sensitivity, and free from the wires that the Cintiq 12 is saddled with. Additionally its a full computer.

Cintiq 12 is around $899 too. So for some of us, the surface pro is not that bad a proposition.

For the likes of Corel Painter 12 on the go, it seems ideal and its a lot cheaper than the Mod Book Pro at $2500

----------

funny.... i don't know in what are they thinking... have you read the problem with the ports location? :eek:

What's wrong with the prt location?

For us artsy Lefties its perfect :)

kevinp8192

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Wow...tough crowd. This definitely isn't the right device for me as an Apple user, but I think many reviewers are shoehorning this device into a typical tablet situation and not taking into consideration what it really can do. What other tablet can power a WQHD external monitor and also have connected a 3 TB usb3 hard drive? It's at least as powerful spec-wise as the last generation Mac Mini, except you can take it with you--I'm surprised none of the reviews really mention this as a scenario. Add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, load all of your work and home applications thanks to the full Windows installation, and this device could be a desktop that would suit the needs of 80% of Windows desktop users. But then you can take that same device with you and use it from 3-5 hours as a tablet or as a (somewhat compromised) laptop.

I do agree that dedicated tablets should be as simple as possible, like the iPad. But then, I also think if you're trying to use the Pro just for tablet purposes, you're missing out on the flexibility that separates the device from the rest.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
i want one. been waiting for a tablet to run "normal" windows so you can still do some serious work on it if you have to.

This device is still "flexible" enough to act as a "normal" tablet since you can always use the "metro" version which is great for "on the go" check for email/facebook/weather/etc so the comment from Engadget
-**"If you're the type who likes to quickly pop on your tablet to check for new email or Facebook messages every few minutes, you may find yourself forced out of that habit here."
really doesn't tell the truth.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Some of the negative aspects are not huge issues for me, I still want to wait and see what another generation or two has in store. (Mostly because I cannot buy one yet anyway) A tablet FINALLY has wacom that is not from Motion, and 10" is not too bad, a program like sketchbook pro would be fine.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Where is the parade with coffins of an iPad and an Android tabled.. Where are the MS employees which dance around in the streets with this iPad killer...

Ore did we at least learn 1 thing from the last debacle.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Who would buy this instead of a MBA thats the issue I have with it?

I know its touchscreen, but the 11'' MacBook Air is similarly priced, and can run both Mac & Windows natively.

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
34gb of system files?

:eek::eek:

30GB of space at 899. thats what in a real currency about £600. correct me if im wrong but you can get a 32 gb ipad for 480 + a keyboard case say £70 to be generous.
still £150 and your not having to use windows.

downside, you dont have a full OS. but its yet to be seen if a full operating system is useful under a touch environment. which is why a mobile OS is used.

i just dont see a space for full power computing in that mobile and a touch space.

if i need to make documents on the go, an ipad with pages is good enough.
if your doing anything hardcore, like long video or photo editing.
you need to be questioning why your using a tablet for that imho. with a 4hour battery life?!

leap motion on the other hand, i can see that working for an iMac. :D .

as said before this (current iteration at least) with fail like the Zune.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012

I know its touchscreen, but the 11'' MacBook Air is similarly priced, and can run both Mac & Windows natively.

If I was looking for a light weight system the final detail would be the wacom, been waiting awhile for a tablet like this so that is the one thing that would put it over, otherwise an air with OSX and Windows 7 would make sense.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008

30GB of space at 899. thats what in a real currency about £600. correct me if im wrong but you can get a 32 gb ipad for 480 + a keyboard case say £70 to be generous.

downside, you dont have a full OS. but its yet to be seen if a full operating system is useful under a touch environment. which is why a mobile OS is used.

i just dont see a space for full power computing in that mobile and a touch space.

if i need to make documents on the go, an ipad with pages is good enough.
if your doing anything hardcore, like long video or photo editing.
you need to be questioning why your using a tablet for that imho. with a 4hour battery life?!

leap motion on the other hand, i can see that working for an iMac. :D .

as said before this (current iteration at least) with fail like the Zune.

Theres a big thing the iPad lacks which is what kills tablets a bit for me (even if I have an iPad that I never use), multitasking. There is no real multitasking on tablets today. I want to be able to watch a movie while surfing the web having both on screen next to eachother. This is making them rather useless for me.

I was hoping the surface RT would take it's tile concept a bit further and divide the screen into 4 tiles where you could run 4 programs simultaneously at 1/4 of the screen size, or run 2 programs next to eachother or above eachother, or run 1 program on half the screen and 2 other on the other half.

All this is fixed by the Surface Pro (in desktop mode), it comes with other problems though but it's a start.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Yep. Every time I hear someone say the iPad can only improve by incremental performance bumps to its existing hardware, it makes me realize how few of us have written or drawn on-screen with Wacoms precision digitizer. The iPad will become a much more usable platform once that input technology is integrated in.

Apple should buy Wacom, even if they don't utilize it for years yet. Enjoy that revenue stream for a bit, & then pull the rug out from everyone and feature it solely in their own products. Blammo.

Hardly going to be a rug to pull. Everyone would start planning the evacuation the second Apple bought it.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Battery life is way too short at the moment for me. I think they should have put in slower CPU and spent less on the screen and spent a bit more on the case, thrown in the keyboard and extended the battery. I also don't like the kick stand, it just doesn't work when you have it on your Lap which is where I have my laptop when typing a document and how I would want to use this part of the time.

Good idea, but half baked just like Windows 8.

If I could find a Metal case / keyboard / battery that does not require a kickstand for the ipad however...

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Finally someone had the balls to take the worst properties of a laptop and combine them with the worst properties of a tablet, all with an OS that is inconsistent and unsuited for either a tablet or a laptop. I respect Microsoft for that.

I still want to try it out but I don't really see how this would make my life better. A tablet and a laptop are different things, for different purposes, and there is no way you can get both on the same device, especially for a price that would buy you both.

I think the biggest problem is the OS: the "Metro" part and the "Windows 7" part are totally isolated from each other, with completely different interfaces and don't work well side by side. It's really not elegant to have to switch between the two, and "normal people" won't understand when to use which. It could be great for more geeky people who want to take notes in class while editing CAD documents, but other than that, I doubt people would really need it.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Microsoft should of taken a leaf or two from Apple's book and left the mobile oriented devices (Tablets, Smarphones) to the Windows Phone/RT architecture. Ditch the Windows Phone naming and called it RT or resurrect Windows Mobile if that image isn't ruined.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The Surface RT cured me of wanting one of these

SOFTWARE SOFTWARE SOFTWARE

I can get a better experience and better pricing on iOS or Android

Are you saying iOS has better software and a better software catalogue than the hundreds of millions of applications available on Windows?

----------

Dammit MS, still can't get it right.

Barely powerful enough to run vanilla Autocad, and still not powerful enough to run Autodesk Inventor.

The old Motion 1300's could run then-current Inventor 6. Perhaps I should hunt down one of those decade+ old creaky slates for a sketchbook instead.

+100 points for the wacom digitizer, but -several million for the same old underpowered, underperforming tablet strategy as before.

AutoCAD on a 10" tablet? Really?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Nice to see some positive feedbacks! Hope I get to play with one soon!

Obvious, since it isn't an Apple device.

If it was Apple, there would be screaming because it doesn't have a Retina display. There would be screaming because the battery doesn't last. It would be called an overpriced POS (and they don't mean point-of-sales).

You forgot to add VAT. And you forgot to add somewhat higher cost in the UK due to sellers having to fix problems after the warranty ends. Which of course makes your point just stronger.

Not necessarily - if "nobody* likes it, it isn't the future.

A funny thing about these predictions: Eight years ago, HP sold iPods for a short while. Someone put an original HP iPod on auction last week and wants to get $25,000 for it (I wouldn't pay $10; after eight years the battery is probably shot). The article reporting about it also linked to an article by Rob Enderle, predicting that HP would without any doubt very soon outsell Apple in iPod sales...

I think this "Surface" thing will be just as successful.

Last edited:

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
So an i5 tablet with that rubber-mat as a keyboard? No thanks, ultra-book all the way!

And pay $1000 for such an ugly plastic screen instead of an beautifully made Asus Zenbook? Sorry I can't do this.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
That 30gb remaining for the user to use on will eventually be eaten up by gargantuan set of windows updates in the next few weeks.

You realise most updates simply replace files, yes? Granted, sometimes they can be a few kb or even a couple of mb larger, in other cases they can be smaller, but no different to Apple's OS X updates.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
This plugged into a 24"monitor, with a $30 logitech wireless keyboard and mouse from costco solves all my computing needs. And nearly every businesses. Plus all the flexibility needed travel.

When this drops a $100, it's a total win.

All the rest is incremental. Haswell, better battery, a second USB 3. I expect we'll see many of these in things over the next 6 months.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

A digital artist who is looking for a smaller Cintiq style display but with the whole hardware included so they can be truly portable...

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I know that Apple made it look as an easy task to release a tablet but, dear Microsoft, guess what: it's not.

30gb free on the 64gb version ? Less than 4 hours of battery ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.