Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
:eek::eek:

30GB of space at 899. thats what in a real currency about £600. correct me if im wrong but you can get a 32 gb ipad for 480 + a keyboard case say £70 to be generous.
still £150 and your not having to use windows.

downside, you dont have a full OS. but its yet to be seen if a full operating system is useful under a touch environment. which is why a mobile OS is used.

i just dont see a space for full power computing in that mobile and a touch space.

Most people work at their desk nearly all the time with occasional travel. This is a total win for business computing over laptops because it's around the durability and price of a business device. It's also a generation away from a desktop dock (remember regular monitors don't support touch yet, so there's a lot that still needs to catch up in the ecosystem).

Plus the memory concerns are minimal as it has an sd slot. And USB 3 if you want a lot more.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
ffs you people need to stop throwing MBA into this debate. MBA is a laptop/notebook/whatever, Surface is a TABLET. It's a tablet that can also support full Windows 8 and just because it can, it doesnt mean you can now throw it into the category of laptops. Yes, it has the "rubber keyboard", but that is only an option and because of that it doesnt make it a laptop. So doesnt the 1000$ price.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I think there have been Windows touch notebooks/tablets for a decade.
None was a commercial success. Lets see how this one fares. It seems that it has inherited some worst things from laptops - generally very short battery life, need for keyboard, mouse. On the good side it has usual Windows software library, which, however, remains to be yet optimized to run on these tablets. Bad side is that its bloated Windows itself full of unnecessary space-eating things. So there are two big minuses, one plus. Balance is negative.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
ffs you people need to stop throwing MBA into this debate. MBA is a laptop/notebook/whatever, Surface is a TABLET. It's a tablet that can also support full Windows 8 and just because it can, it doesnt mean you can now throw it into the category of laptops. Yes, it has the "rubber keyboard", but that is only an option and because of that it doesnt make it a laptop. So doesnt the 1000$ price.

no but the exact same internal components as a MBA do.

It has more in common with an ultrabook than an iPad whether you like it or not.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Tablets won't replace laptops until they're truly better than a laptop, and I think the surface pro hits the nail on the head in that regard. Wether you like it or not, the surface is the future.

We have had full OS tablets for years, they never took off.

----------

i want one. been waiting for a tablet to run "normal" windows so you can still do some serious work on it if you have to.

This device is still "flexible" enough to act as a "normal" tablet since you can always use the "metro" version which is great for "on the go" check for email/facebook/weather/etc so the comment from Engadget
-**"If you're the type who likes to quickly pop on your tablet to check for new email or Facebook messages every few minutes, you may find yourself forced out of that habit here."
really doesn't tell the truth.

People do real work all day on iPads. They use Citrix to run windows apps.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
no but the exact same internal components as a MBA do.

It has more in common with an ultrabook than an iPad whether you like it or not.

so if you put en engine from BMW M6 into some Chevrolet mini van, you're going to say that the Mini van is actually a sports coupe?

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
So it's worse than a tablet, worse than a laptop and more expensive than both with less than half the battery life and no keyboard. Apple has nothing to worry about. Zune.

Surface Pro more expensive than laptop? Really? I don't think there are any SSD laptops (Apple or PCs) that are cheaper or even the same prices.

Although the 64gb iPad still has more actual storage than the 128gb surface ;)

64gb iPad has 90Gb of storage free?? :eek:

If it something serious like graphic design or programming then I want a bigger screen.

At least unlike iPad with Surface you can actually plug an external monitor.

Now the use of a stylus is pretty obsolete.

Tell that to users of Galaxy Note...

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Multitouch. Having the option to use a stylus IN ADDITION to your fingers is great. So many people buy a stylus because while interacting with the OS is better with your finger, drawing or note taking something more complex than words (math problems, diagrams) is better with a stylus.

I only use a stylus when I am presenting something to someone because my hand doesn't get in the way of the screen. I have a pen that has a stylus tip on is that I carry in my iPad case.

----------

At least unlike iPad with Surface you can actually plug an external monitor.

Tell that to users of Galaxy Note...

You can plug the iPad in to a monitor, to share your screen...

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
To be honest I tried a surface RT and was impressed.

I think Microsoft is heading in the right direction.

The key board cover with mouse pad is a killer feature that I wish the iPad had.

The office that it ships with is far better than anything on the iPad.

The pro on the other hand needs more storage space 256 gig and better battery life.
This is version one. I think this product will take off at version 2.

I think Apple released the 128 gig iPad as a reaction to the surface. I think they understand that they are falling behind.

I think they need to get office on the iPad and need to make the MacBook Air and pro into convertible touch screen devices.

Falling behind where, and to whom? The last I've seen the iPad still had the lions share in the tablet area. Microsoft is playing catchup here, not Apple. Second, I get the feeling that Office on the iPad is up to redmond, and not Apple. There have been leaked pictures showing Office running on an iPad for over a year now.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
Honestly Microsoft have been a good maker in keyboard and mouse industries with their ergonomics designs, so I can't understand why M$ would give Surface such an awful keypad instead of a real keyboard with bouncing keys and good ergonomic design:confused:

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
- "As a laptop it is excellent. I was able to do nearly everything I needed to do including the editing of large documents, photo management, blogging, some minor gaming, and plenty of email and web browsing."

...on a desk

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Why do you need excel on an iPad? There are several options for opening, editing and creating XLSX files on an iPad right now.

There are some not too bad alternatives for the iPad, agree. But nothing beats "native" Excel. I would not "survive" in business without a flexible Pivot Table or some occasional VB enhancements. As much as I love iPad and its sisters and brothers I also appretiate the power of Excel.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Honestly Microsoft have been a good maker in keyboard and mouse industries with their ergonomics designs, so I can't understand why M$ would give Surface such an awful keypad instead of a real keyboard with bouncing keys and good ergonomic design:confused:

The type cover is actually a really good keyboard replacement. The touch cover feels like you're typing on a placemat

They type cover is the way to go

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
This looks amazing. As for the battery, even if it is able to give an hour's worth of juice, its good. Nowadays, you have charging points everywhere. Cars, buses, trains, aeroplanes, cafes, etc. The only downside to it is that windows is a virus magnet. You're doomed if you take this as your only laptop/tablet.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
There are some not too bad alternatives for the iPad, agree. But nothing beats "native" Excel. I would not "survive" in business without a flexible Pivot Table or some occasional VB enhancements. As much as I love iPad and its sisters and brothers I also appretiate the power of Excel.

You can make a initial file in a computer and download it into your iPad for further work.

I also tried out some Android Office suites, and tbh I don't find they have much difference from those available for iPad. The only advantage I have found is the easiness of file I/O in Android devices.

Thus if you really need a fully working mobile Office suite, yes you have to go for tablets running Windows 8.

----------

This looks amazing. As for the battery, even if it is able to give an hour's worth of juice, its good. Nowadays, you have charging points everywhere. Cars, buses, trains, aeroplanes, cafes, etc. The only downside to it is that windows is a virus magnet. You're doomed if you take this as your only laptop/tablet.

Find us a charging port on a city bus LOL:D

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012

Are there anti viruses recommended for the Pro?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
At some point in the next 2 years, we are going to get the power of a Core 2 Duo in the thinness of an iPad, and Microsoft's path will probably make sense. Until then, we are going to see the same fumbling that Apple had with the first MacBook Air which was terribly expensive ($1799+), ran too hot, had too little storage, was slow, and only one USB port. And sales didnt take off for a while. And boom, October 2010 revision rolls around with all flash storage at $999 entry price point and a legend is born. Everyone knew that the future of computing would come from the DNA in the MacBook Air, it just wasnt worth owning in 2008.

So just remember that even if the first version sucks (and for any product, it's almost bound to), the revisions are what you really need to watch out for.

It not about processing power, storage space, temperature or USB ports. If it were the iPad would have been a massive flop. Its about a product that people can take a brief look at and find a compelling use for. They can do that with laptops, and tablets, and phones.

Personally I can't find a use for a tiny laptop where the keyboard can be detached (and accidentally left behind) and the software hasn't yet been optimised. MS should have nailed the software experience first. Running standard windows applications on a 10" 1920x1080 display with your finger(!) is just a terrible concept.

3rd part developers may save it, or they may drag it into the dirt. It all depends on whether they get it, and want to invest in it, or whether they just want to write generic windows apps that sort-of work on any PC.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
People do real work all day on iPads. They use Citrix to run windows apps.

I don't want an 4 hour sessions with content creation on Citrix; agree, its nice and convenient for a quick check of SAP or something similar, doing a quick edit in Office files but creating a PowerPoint with regular complexity ... I would not like that. Productivity would be much lower.
I think the Surface Pro (and its Intel-based competitors) will have a good chance; specially in enterprise environment.
Also while traveling with reduced connectivity Citrix don't really help.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
The only downside to it is that windows is a virus magnet.

Most windows users that have at least a remote clue do not have an issue with this. I never do, of course I have Avast and Malwarebytes just in case, I do not get viruses.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
That is not a tablet, thats a netbook witch touch capabilities. Its very beautiful creation, but it has a screen so small....

So, its worse then an iPad an worse then a notebook and it is expensive..

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am currently using airserver to mirror my ipad to my laptop, which in turn projects to the screen via a VGA adaptor in my school (darn you enterprise wifi limitations and work-issued laptops with user restrictions!) :mad:

Interesting concept, but I think for now, I will stick with my macbook+ipad combo. The best of both worlds, and between both of them, I have more than enough juice to last a day's abuse. :)

Pricey, yes, but I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for".

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Falling behind where, and to whom? The last I've seen the iPad still had the lions share in the tablet area. Microsoft is playing catchup here, not Apple. Second, I get the feeling that Office on the iPad is up to redmond, and not Apple. There have been leaked pictures showing Office running on an iPad for over a year now.

iPad will continue to own the market but this device creates a higher end tablet space and expands the market. I think over time it'll eat into the iPad's market share by drawing away power users. In the future possibly after Haswell, 86 architecture on a tablet could become the new premium tablet space. If that happens Apple will be in trouble because they can't compete with this without radically blowing up iOS and killing their silo'd mobile-desktop approach

With Office, I think MS is trying to preserve the price point of its IP by being careful in how they monetize off it. iOS is a budget market with prices pushed down through commoditization. Trying to counter race to the bottom pricing is probably why they're opting for a subscription and fighting Apple for that 30% revenue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.