Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Hi

I installed windows 8 pro (60 EUR) on my iMac yesterday via bootcamp. Everything works fine except the product key that came with the disk and allowed me to install windows 8 does not work for the activation with Microsoft?

Does anyone know why and what I need to do

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
what did u end up having to do?

Hi

I installed windows 8 pro (60 EUR) on my iMac yesterday via bootcamp. Everything works fine except the product key that came with the disk and allowed me to install windows 8 does not work for the activation with Microsoft?

Does anyone know why and what I need to do

i bought win pro 8 upgrade and downloaded to my pc with windows vista(did not upgrade the pc to win 8) and chose "create media" and burned it to usb stick.
I then installed it on my mac mini using usb stick and parallels 8 with no problem using the activation key microsoft emailed me. it is running fine but i was playing around and clicked on the flag on the menu bar and one of the messages asked for the activation key again, i entered it and it says it is only good for upgrades. It still works.
My question is is microsoft gonna disable it like they would a trial after a couple of weeks? I guess i want be able to get updates etc.?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.