Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Do i buy through the app store or spend a little extra for a used box copy of Studio? That is the question.

The box seems like the best choice given that it's price is reasonable, but i have some difficulty deciding. I've found a used box that goes for about $100 over the app store.

I know the box has a lot of extra content, but what practical differences is there besides that?

Can i use the boxed copy on multiple machines for instance? From what i hear that is the case with the app store purchases.

Can there be any licence/serialnumber issues with the old user if he is "sneaky" and continues to use the software?

What does the in app purchases cost within the app store version? Is it sold in packs or plug ins separately? How much would the $100 i would save get me in extra content?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have the app store version, and you can install it on every Mac that you own. It is tied to your iTunes account, not the computer itself. I was not aware of any real difference in content - there's a ton of stuff that you can download for free once you have installed the basic app store program. I am not aware of any "in app purchases" with the app store version, just the free content downloads.

I have never seen the boxed version, but my understanding is that it also includes Mainstage, but you can buy that separately on the app store for $30. So for $230 you could have everything from the app store. But maybe there is some other advantage to the boxed version I don't know about?

The other difference is that you don't really "own" the app store version. So if you no longer use the software, you cannot sell it to somebody else. I believe the boxed version is like Apple's other pro apps, and you are allowed to install it on one desktop machine and one laptop.

MacFro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
I must have misread the program description because i always thought i needed to pay for the extra downloadable content. Free is a much better price :)

And since the downloadable content seem to cover my needs, i no longer see any reason for buying the physical copy. I might miss out on Soundtrack pro including its sound bank + a few more apps, but i don't really need any of them.

Thanks for the reply!

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
the boxed version of logic 9 has mainstage up to version - iirc, 2.12. anything above that requires a re-purchase. (stupid!).

not sure if the app store version gives you it at all?

as far as "big" differences - while the licence for the boxed version used to be limited to a single tower and a single portable machine - you could install it on lots of machines, you'd simply be breaking the eula.

At the end of the day though, how many different machines does one need logic on? i have it on my laptop, didnt even bother installing it on my slaves.

can the app store version *ever* be installed on leopard or snow leopard? i cant remember when the app store started.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
If you get the boxed version, make sure the license codes are valid. If I were you, I'd go for the App Store version since everything is tied to your account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.