Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonny bro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Is it just me, or does it seem that jailbreaking is becoming less and less a popular choice for iOS device owners? I mean, sure, back in the iOS 4.x days, jailbreaking seemed a must-have procedure if you wanted to get the most out of your device. However, a few major updates down the line and here we are. Many of the applications/tweaks that jailbreaking has been most famous for, have simply been implemented in stock iOS. I mean sure. It seems likely we will never see winter board in stock iOS. Nor will will we see things like graviboard and protube. But are these kinds of tweaks really worth the effort? These talented hackers that have created evasion, they've spent a very long time dedicating themselves to this jailbreak to be able to release it to the public, free of charge. Why? Tweak developers have to rescale/update their creations, to fit the larger screen or to make it compatible with new software. Is it worth it? A popular reason people jailbreak is for installous, to try an app before they buy. However, now that hackulo has gone completely bust, how much will this affect the JB community? Each update, hackers have to start at square one. Sifting through minute codes, looking for the tiniest of bugs they can exploit. Developers have to update their tweaks to keep up, all for what? Apple patches the bugs as soon as they are released. With apple always implementing new features into their devices, replacing many jailbreak tweaks..installous going down, and many developers neglecting to update their tweaks, i cant help but beg the question; are the days of jailbreaking coming to an end?

SAVAGE5

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
I think the total is up to like 1.8 million jailbroken devices. I think they set some kind of record but not sure. I wouldn't say it's dead. iOS still sucks stock. No quickreply, no customiztaion of any, I can't block calls or text, I can't really do anything except what apple wants me to do.

Last edited:

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Doesn't seem dead to me. I could barely get any apps from all the congestion when the jailbreak was first released.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Is it just me, or does it seem that jailbreaking is becoming less and less a popular choice for iOS device owners?

The evasi0n jailbreak has been used on 1.7 million devices in two days. That seems pretty popular to me.

However, now that hackulo has gone completely bust, how much will this affect the JB community

Hopefully this will get rid of the cheap bastards that pirate and get them to support developers like they should, in effect strengthening the jailbreak developer community.

are the days of jailbreaking coming to an end?

Not a chance. You could have asked this question when there was FUD out there before the evasi0n jailbreak release. But now that its out you see the huge demand and support for jailbreaking.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
The evasi0n jailbreak has been used on 1.7 million devices in two days. That seems pretty popular to me.

Hopefully this will get rid of the cheap bastards that pirate and get them to support developers like they should, in effect strengthening the jailbreak developer community.

Not a chance. You could have asked this question when there was FUD out there before the evasi0n jailbreak release. But now that its out you see the huge demand and support for jailbreaking.

well some people think the App Store prices are ridiculous lol $40 for a GPS app or $10 for keynote if you only need to use it once is a lot of money for a smartphone app.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
well some people think the App Store prices are ridiculous lol $40 for a GPS app or $10 for keynote if you only need to use it once is a lot of money for a smartphone app.

There are free gps apps (waze, google) and web based solutions for the "need" for keynote.

No need to pirate apps.

The JB scene is alive and well, no need for the op to be concerned.

Pharcyde139

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
Jay Freeman, the man who made cydia, tweeted some hours ago. https://mobile.twitter.com/saurik

Check that out. That alone is enough to know it is NOT dying.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It is still nice to have the option, but it is far less important, IMO, than it use to be. I remember one of the main reasons to jail break was a notification menu. The only reason for me personally to jailbreak is biteSMS....everything else is just for show. Who cares if I can have a "live" multitasking icon, but the option is here.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The demographic of the iPhone buyer has changed, including more graybeards, and blue haired ladies.

It's very visible whenever I visit my local Apple store. The ease of use makes it possible for them to feel included with their smartphone using kids & grand kids. These are not buyers that will ever jailbreak.

Next we have the jail breakers of the past. They've since discovered the fun of Android which are vastly more customizable.

Times change & we are witnessing the effects first hand.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
It's just you.

People buy these smartphones for hundreds of dollars and pay a premium for data and voice service every month. Then those same people turn around and complain these apps cost too much? Really? I'm starting to think these cheap bastards who feel the need to pirate apps are little kids who have no way of paying for them or people who don't want to use the cash they got for selling their food stamps.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
The demographic of the iPhone buyer has changed, including more graybeards, and blue haired ladies.

It's very visible whenever I visit my local Apple store. The ease of use makes it possible for them to feel included with their smartphone using kids & grand kids. These are not buyers that will ever jailbreak.

Next we have the jail breakers of the past. They've since discovered the fun of Android which are vastly more customizable.

Times change & we are witnessing the effects first hand.

I see the opposite happening. For example, I had a female coworker ask me about the iPhone 5 and the GS3. I own both devices so she wanted my opinion I had on both. I told her the pros and cons of both. The next day, she showed me her new GS3. Her reason? It was buy one get one free and her daughter wanted a smartphone so it was cheaper to go the Android way. Nothing I told her regarding both phones were even taken into consideration when she purchased the phones. The majority of the older crowd at my workplace use Android. I asked them why they chose an Android device over the iPhone. They all told me because it was cheaper (free with 2 year contract). Not one of them mentioned customization or specs at all. They don't even know how to use the majority of the features and options. They didn't even know about the Play Store!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
It's just you.

People buy these smartphones for hundreds of dollars and pay a premium for data and voice service every month. Then those same people turn around and complain these apps cost too much? Really? I'm starting to think these cheap bastards who feel the need to pirate apps are little kids who have no way of paying for them or people who don't want to use the cash they got for selling their food stamps.

You are more correct than you might realize !

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I see the opposite happening. For example, I had a female coworker ask me about the iPhone 5 and the GS3. I own both devices so she wanted my opinion I had on both. I told her the pros and cons of both. The next day, she showed me her new GS3!

It may happened to YOU. In my practice, I see the opposite: females prefer iPhones to Android phones. Unfortunately, they're the vast majority when compared to computer literate people wanting as much freedom as with Android (that is, power users). No wonder Apple won't EVER provide us more freedom - female / old users just don't want more freedom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.