Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
What I am most curious about, and what will potentially raise or kill my excitement for this console, is the new controller / controlling concept. "Traditional" type controller? Integrated touch screen? Camera for motion sensing etc. mandatory? Waggle-mania? Voice control? Return of the boomerang form factor? ;)

It's really the only relevant variable at this point. Specs are pretty well known, and even if the leaks aren't entirely accurate, we know it will be powerful. The form factor of the console is still unknown, but that really has little impact on the gaming experience. And you know all the big IP's (Uncharted etc.) will be there rather sooner than later, that's pretty much a given. So the only remaining question is "how do we use it??". :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well the Rumors of the controller redesign seem to indicate its like a dual shock only slightly bigger (longer) with the the same kind of back panel on the vita supplanted to the front of it to give a trackpad like area, not a genuine screen like the wii u.

This will give them te ability to add some gesture control, but will keep the cost of the controller to around $50 same as the dual shock six axis.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I'll be fine with that, as long as the use of it actually makes sense and doesn't feel forced like "it's there, now everyone find ways to use it in your games!"

Like when the PS3 first came out, and everyone tried to do something with tilting the controller and whatnot... :rolleyes:

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
I'm excited but I don't see me being a customer for a few years yet. But I hope it's gonna be amazing.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I am looking forward to this i had the original ps3 the day since it came out and i will be buying a ps4 the day it comes out to. However this year i gave in and took a plunge and got nintendo as well as I'am big on platform games.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
As a launch Wii U owner with 14 games I do know this. However as Wii U's specs are more akin to current generation hardware, many of us here and in the industry do not class the Wii U as a next generation machine, but more a interesting take on the current.

The Wii U hardware is not an exponential leap on existing technology, it caught up and added the gamepad screen. The next Xbox & PS4 will be in order of magnitudes more powerful hardware and will not be matching existing console hardware but offering new hardware.

So it really is hard to classify Nintendo's Wii U in same 'next gen' category as the others.

It's next gen only to those who have not owned either a PS3 for 6 years or a 360 for the last 7....

Then let's hope PS4 is not only faster CPU and GPU, I would not consider that next gen while Nintendo presented a whole new concept. Next gen has nothing to do with the power of the machine itself. It is the same mistake that people tend to do again and again.
Xbox on the contrary, brought some next gen gaming in form of kinect to the market.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Then let's hope PS4 is not only faster CPU and GPU, I would not consider that next gen while Nintendo presented a whole new concept. Next gen has nothing to do with the power of the machine itself. It is the same mistake that people tend to do again and again.
Xbox on the contrary, brought some next gen gaming in form of kinect to the market.

That's an odd way to look at console generations, as that means we've basically had, what, three? Every console from the NES through to the Wii is the same generation? Really?

The commonly accepted use of "generation" is a major series of launches, based roughly around the same technology. For example, the jump from the 32bit PlayStation to the 128bit PlayStation 2, or the 8bit NES to the 16bit SNES. As such, Nintendo's more recent Wii/WiiU releases don't comfortably fit in to the generation cycles of hardware, but more simply with timing of release.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Well the Rumors of the controller redesign seem to indicate its like a dual shock only slightly bigger (longer) with the the same kind of back panel on the vita supplanted to the front of it to give a trackpad like area, not a genuine screen like the wii u.

This will give them te ability to add some gesture control, but will keep the cost of the controller to around $50 same as the dual shock six axis.

Hmm, part of me likes the sound of this, but since using the Wii U I don't know. I love the Wii U game pad, it's ace, not gimmicky at all and I don't think we have properly realised the potential of it yet. Even just putting the HUD on the game pad just feels natural, like looking down at a physical map and then looking up to keep on exploring. It works really well.

I don't want that same experience to be limited to those PS4 owners who are lucky enough to have a Vita as well.

I want to see a game pad style controller - even though people will cry about how it is stolen from Nintendo, who cares?

Plus, I reckon Sony could make an absolutely gorgeous tablet controller. Even if it is bundled in a more expensive version. Would happily pay above £500 or that. Maybe I am in a minority here.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Hmm, part of me likes the sound of this, but since using the Wii U I don't know. I love the Wii U game pad, it's ace, not gimmicky at all and I don't think we have properly realised the potential of it yet. Even just putting the HUD on the game pad just feels natural, like looking down at a physical map and then looking up to keep on exploring. It works really well.

I don't want that same experience to be limited to those PS4 owners who are lucky enough to have a Vita as well.

I want to see a game pad style controller - even though people will cry about how it is stolen from Nintendo, who cares?

Plus, I reckon Sony could make an absolutely gorgeous tablet controller. Even if it is bundled in a more expensive version. Would happily pay above £500 or that. Maybe I am in a minority here.

If you're willing to pay over £500, then surely a PS4+Vita is in your price bracket?

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
If you're willing to pay over £500, then surely a PS4+Vita is in your price bracket?

I have a Vita already, what I was getting at is that I want a second screen to be universal for all PS4 owners (by including a game pad with the console), not just those who have both a Vita and a PS4.

Then the use of a second screen is more likely to be incorporated into games, if there is no game pad then I can't see most devs utilising second screen capability with the Vita (apart from the first party and launch window games that Sony force to).

On the flip side, more people might buy a Vita if Sony really push it as a controller for the PS4.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
On the flip side, more people might buy a Vita if Sony really push it as a controller for the PS4.

I think before that happens, they need to work on lengthening that battery life. I get a lot of play from my Wii U controller on a single charge, way more than my Vita, and the Wii U has the benefit of that automatic charging dock. But other than the touchscreen display, what has the Vita got over a regular Dualshock 3 controller? It's much more uncomfortable for long play sessions, especially so compared to the Wii U's gamepad.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I think before that happens, they need to work on lengthening that battery life. I get a lot of play from my Wii U controller on a single charge, way more than my Vita, and the Wii U has the benefit of that automatic charging dock. But other than the touchscreen display, what has the Vita got over a regular Dualshock 3 controller? It's much more uncomfortable for long play sessions, especially so compared to the Wii U's gamepad.

I find the Wii U gamepad uncomfortable for long play sessions. I really wish more games supported the pro controller.

I can't see using the Vita as a controller, it would be as awkward as using the Wii U gamepad imo. I try not to use the Wii U one if I can avoid it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I find the Wii U gamepad uncomfortable for long play sessions. I really wish more games supported the pro controller.

I can't see using the Vita as a controller, it would be as awkward as using the Wii U gamepad imo. I try not to use the Wii U one if I can avoid it.

Same, I like the Wii U pad for off-screen play though, just not this whole dual-screen thing that's catching on. I'd love more Pro controller games.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
This would be an issue too. Simply put, a Vita is not the answer for a dual screen experience on the PS4 (Not for me anyway). If that is what they try to do, I can see it being one of those things that I do once or twice, realise it isn't that useful/comfortable/practical, and pick my DS3 (4?) back up.

Do people even want a second screen?

Jme?! It must be!
Nope, I don't even listen to their music.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
This would be an issue too. Simply put, a Vita is not the answer for a dual screen experience on the PS4 (Not for me anyway). If that is what they try to do, I can see it being one of those things that I do once or twice, realise it isn't that useful/comfortable/practical, and pick my DS3 (4?) back up.

Do people even want a second screen?

Yes! A game like Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U (where they had PDA's in the movie) will be awesome!

My understanding is the RPG crowd would love it for maps and item management...

You get a glimpse of a remote touchpad screen on XBox using Smartglass - great potential.

The only thing is that a remote touchpad screen is included with every Wii U whereas a touchpad screen device for the XBox or PS4 is only a probability so developers are more likely to program a touchpad for a system that has it included.

Wii U is a great system - I'm very surprised at the Touchpad Controller - thought it would be too big and bulky but it's light and nicely designed.

IMHO - Nintendo is betting that MS and Sony will stick to optional touchpad screen devices (since it is what they are experimenting with now) which will differentiate their console - as it has always been.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
cacanoscale.jpg

:apple:

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England

Initial thought was that this is a crude attempt based on rumors (move strip at the top, small touch panel). But you never know. That touch panel looks useless. I know if it is genuine that it is likely a proto-type and not the final product. It's a bit fugly.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Yeah, sorry I should have made it clear that's a dev kit. Not sure if that's a final spec or early system though.

As for the controller, it's obviously a prototype, but how close is it to the final model? That's the real question I suppose.... six days to go until we find out.

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.