Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French Apple Reseller France Systems sent out a newsletter to its customers on the news that Apple will be halting sales of the Mac Pro on March 1st, 2013 due to new EU regulatory requirements.

macpro.png
As noted by both Mac4Ever and MacGeneration, the reseller also reports in that newsletter that they have heard from Apple that a new Mac Pro will be arriving in Spring of 2013. Translation:
However, we believe that the judgment of the Mac Pro is temporary, Apple informs us that new Mac Pro will be released in spring 2013.
While Apple typically doesn't leak such information, even to resellers, they have been strangely candid about a 2013 Mac Pro revision. In June, after a disappointing revision to the Mac Pro, an Apple spokesperson confirmed that Apple was working on a new Mac Pro for release in 2013.

Update: Apple declined to comment to Ars Technica about the reseller's claims, merely pointing back to earlier comments by Tim Cook about a new Mac Pro coming "later" in 2013.

Article Link: Apple Tells Reseller New Mac Pro Is Arriving in Spring 2013

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Will it be a complete refresh or just a new chipset? Only time will tell.

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
When is "Spring" anyways?

EDIT: Thanks everyone for replying with specific dates, times, and the occasional lesson in different Springs across the globe.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hrmm seems odd that they'd get this information and the reporting on a newsletter put out by someone other than Apple is suspect, but I can see it ties into the previous statements so I guess we'll find out.

All I know is that Apple manged to push the price of the machines up so much that it indeed should cause pause for pro-sumers when they're considering a purchase. And I am not interested in hearing that only true pros should use a MacPro and if they're true pros then the cost is not a factor.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
How we know this isn't a slight design change to meet the EU regulations the current one fails?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Im guessing complete refresh/redesign.

I hope so, but apple has long ignored the MP, to the degree that I'll not be surprised if they just plop a new chipset into the logic board and slap sticker on it saying new and improved.

I love the design of the MP, its clean wonderfully laid out, but its been that way since the G5. I think they can possibly shrink the enclosure down without too much sacrifice in space.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The Mac Pro has become the b***ard child of Apple. They stopped caring a long time ago.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
probably they will be released togheter with an update version of the TB display..
Just a a guess!

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Why now? Seriously they might as well just wait a few months more until Ivy-Bridge EX processors are out, with the possible inclusion of a dual 8-10 core, 16-20 hyper threaded cores...using Sandy-Bridge EX processors would be outdated.

DDaddyx2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I'm glad they are still making the Pro. We bought a maxed-out iMac for our graphics designer who formerly had a Mac Pro. The iMac is enough for her needs, but I know there are people in bigger shops who still need the expandability and power in the Pro.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Yeah!!! This made my day. :)

My ideal:

Small form factor a la the ill fated "G4 Cube"

- SATA III
- 2-3 internal HDD/SSD bays
- 2x PCIe slots
- Processor(s) - 1-2 processor configurations (Xeon or Ivy-Bridge EX processors for heavy lifting, or i7 for light needs)
- USB 3.0
- Thunderbolt ports (perhaps for additional non-PCIe graphics box)
- Of course RAM

Run a Thunderbolt cable to a workstation for display(s) and HID's, leave it stashed out of sight. Would lower costs, allow for low to high end configurations, upgradability/expandability, use of non-Apple displays and HID's, and smaller form factor would benefit shipping footprint and ease of use. Bring it.

Last edited:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Would be a good tiem to update the thunderbolt displays to iMac style as well. too much to ask?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I honestly wish they wouldn't toy with it too much..Its a good design, bring it in compliance and go with it.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I suppose the Mac Pro is one of the very few product lines where a product leak is good all-round.

I'm keen to buy a Rev 2 TB Display. Also, I just want to see how Apple hooks GPUs into the TB chain, maybe a really short TB cable?

Last edited:

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Why now? Seriously they might as well just wait a few months more until Ivy-Bridge EX processors are out, with the possible inclusion of a dual 8-10 core, 16-20 hyper threaded cores...using Sandy-Bridge EX processors would be outdated.

You assume that they will use Xeons.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
much as I think the current design is very clean and practical; as always it can change and still be awesome. lets hope if it does change that its cleaner and still amazing :)

- this coming from a user that no longer uses the Pro but has fond memories and often cites it as the pinnacle of good design.

:)

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
I suppose the Mac Pro is one of the very product lines where a product leak is good all-round.

I'm keen to buy a Rev 2 TB Display. Also, I just want to see how Apple hooks GPUs into the TB chain, maybe a really short TB cable?

They won't hook GPUs in to the TB chain, the performance is not good. Google around on it

tonyshaker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Well

I hoe this is a good refreshed update not just some small minor update that apple keep telling us that these minor updates are amazing when really there not e.g. introducing thunderbolt and just small tweaks. i would like to see maybe a redesign a slightly smaller mac pro perhaps:D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Guessed as much. We have had no lay offs from the factory / assembly in Cork where most of the macpros in Europe are assembled, so it seemed logical that Apple would have a new macpro to replace the one they have to stop selling, otherwise their would have been job lay-offs.

mouser45

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
With the current trends of things here's what to expect:

1. 30% thinner design

2. non-upgradable parts

3. 40% less packaging (for the environment, man)

Missing anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.