Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Apple would usually allow you 30 days return (they say 14 days on website but they always extend it to 30 days if you call and request).

If you order 128gb iPad today and get it next week some time, that puts your 30 days return window around mid of March and 100% of people buying ipad 128 GB will return for ipad 5 128GB if its release in March

Also dropping $100 price on a device release less then 30 days wont make any sense (old gen ipads always gets lowered when new one comes out).

Today's iPad 128gb is a pretty clear hint at nothing coming out in March...

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Actually agree...it seems to me that they may be giving the iPad the old iPod schedule with major updates in sept/oct area and the mid-cycle refresh with minor updates (in this case the 128GB model).

I think the 6 months fluke of the iPad with Retina Display was due to a rush in meeting deadlines and that the iPad 4 specs were intended on making it to the iPad 3. Or the iPad 4 was released simply because of the competition on the market made Apple feel like they needed to upgrade the specs to be a competitor on the ever growing market of tablets.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I'm still not buying that Apple will release all their iOS products within 1-2 month during fall.

Apple's going to take a beating.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
I'm still not buying that Apple will release all their iOS products within 1-2 month during fall.

Apple's going to take a beating.

I agree with this. The OP made a very good point but for Apple to release all of their top products in the fall is pretty ballsy.

With this 128gb ipad released today, the only March release would be an updated mini. May or may not be retina though. But we'll see if Apple has something up their sleeves.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I agree with this. The OP made a very good point but for Apple to release all of their top products in the fall is pretty ballsy.

With this 128gb ipad released today, the only March release would be an updated mini. May or may not be retina though. But we'll see if Apple has something up their sleeves.

Honestly people, why would Apple release an update to the mini just as they catch up to demand? Doesn't make any sense.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Honestly people, why would Apple release an update to the mini just as they catch up to demand? Doesn't make any sense.

Lower price range ($259?), attract more demand with retina capability (I think Apple knows darn well current iPad Mini owners will jump to the Retina version). They did it with the Lightning connector iPad, whilst the demand for iPad 4 was still high. I really don't know if we're going to see something happen in March. I would have the tendency to say yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be wrong. I'll just keep my fingers crossed :)

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Lower price range, attract more demand with retina capability. They did it with the Lightning connector iPad, whilst the demand for iPad 4 was still high. I really don't know if we're going to see something happen in March. I would have the tendency to say yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if wrong. I'll just keep my fingers crossed :)

Face reality, if there was going to be a retina iPad mini in March, we would know about it by now. It won't happen. Period.

penantday

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
agree.The OP made a very good point but for Apple to release all of their top products in the fall is pretty ballsy.
3.gif

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
No one expected the iPad 4 update but it came...and how many people purchased brand new iPad 3's just before the 4 launch and returned them? A lot I bet, a lot more than 128 gb iPad buyers.

IMHO, I do not think it matters when, there will always be X number of people who just purchased the old one and will return it.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
From a company perspective it makes total sense to launch new ipads in March and iphone 5 in fall. the ipad 4 was a silent spec bump, so was the 128 ipad. Leaked images that show that ipad 5 is ready to go. Id be gutted too as i just splashed out on a 64 ipad 4 but i think march/april is a cert.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Not true at all.... there were lots of rumours of an updated iPad coming along with the new mini.

Go back and read the threads here of the thousands of shocked people. Tons of people were caught off guard. Keep in mind most consumers do not read every rumor site everyday.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
Go back and read the threads here of the thousands of shocked people. Tons of people were caught off guard. Keep in mind most consumers do not read every rumor site everyday.

Don't need to go back and read them, there aren't any. If you don't read any tech/rumour websites, ANY update is going to come out of the blue for you and infact, you probably wont even know there has been an update in the first place

The iPad 4 was not a surprise to many and it was certainly not a silent spec bump.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Actually agree...it seems to me that they may be giving the iPad the old iPod schedule with major updates in sept/oct area and the mid-cycle refresh with minor updates (in this case the 128GB model).

I think the 6 months fluke of the iPad with Retina Display was due to a rush in meeting deadlines and that the iPad 4 specs were intended on making it to the iPad 3. Or the iPad 4 was released simply because of the competition on the market made Apple feel like they needed to upgrade the specs to be a competitor on the ever growing market of tablets.
iPad 3 came when it did because it was their usual 1yr refresh mark, and they had display and SOC tech and suppliers ready for Retina.

iPad 4 came for the same reason, they had SOC tech ready for mass production... AND more importantly they needed to propagate the Lightning connector across their line up.

Who was going to buy old 30pin iPad's and iPods for Christmas in an iPhone5/iPad Mini/Lightning market.

----------

Don't need to go back and read them, there aren't any. If you don't read any tech/rumour websites, ANY update is going to come out of the blue for you and infact, you probably wont even know there has been an update in the first place

The iPad 4 was not a surprise to many and it was certainly not a silent spec bump.
edit: nevermind thought we were talking 128gig ipad.

Someone went back and dug up the oct launch.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There won't be an iPad 5 or Mini 2 without a keynote event preceeding them.

Well, it was far from a silent update.
Many people don't think an update is an update unless it looks different. You saw this with the iPhones 3GS and 4S even though the 3G>3GS was more of an update than the Original>3G iPhone

To this date, is there really such a (lightning) market?
I would never buy a 30-pin based device again, so yes.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Is that so! I didn't know this. How would one do this, Apple support/customer service line?

Yes, I never had a problem returning stuff within 30 days and in some cases even beyond 30 days... Just returned a faulty MacBook Air (wifi card issue) after 33 days of purchase.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
A lot were just released at CES which means that licensing issues are over and more will keep coming.
Exactly so they've probably just hit stores now so in theory the moving-to-lightning argument doesn't really stick. Apple knew that it would take this long for accessory makers to get their products to the shelves so why not just release a new iPad in march with the new connector.

I'm not saying that there'll be one, just that the argument doesn't really hold up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.