Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leviathan1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Does anybody know if the SBsettings 3G toggle can be used to force the iPhone 5 (at&t) onto the edge network? I work in a building with poor 3G coverage, but very good Edge coverage. This was useful for my iPhone 4 to save battery and it would be great if it can be used on the iPhone 5 as well.

leviathan1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Anybody? Perhaps somebody with a jailbroken iPhone 5 on at&t can simply test this out? I would like to know if the 3G toggle in sbsettings can force your phone to use the Edge network.

eojrr1

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
I JB for just this reason and from what I can tell, it doesn't work.. You can enable the toggle fine in sbsettings, but when you respring it doesn't actually show up.

leviathan1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
I JB for just this reason and from what I can tell, it doesn't work.. You can enable the toggle fine in sbsettings, but when you respring it doesn't actually show up.

Thanks for the helpful replies. (eojrr1, nwmtnbiker)

Tymatser50... I have been waiting to get the iPhone 5 until I knew whether I could turn off 3G and force Edge. Your response was definitely useful though. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

eojrr1

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
I sent a note into the developers of sbsettings but who knows of it will do any good.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
it actually works for me in mx with a carrier in mexico it forces EDGE use

dunno why it doesn't work for US att

iPhone 5 here with latest sbsettings

leviathan1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
GREAT NEWS... an app on cydia called BatteryDoctorPro (it has some Chinese Characters in the name on Cydia but the app is in English) allows you to use the 3G toggle to force the iPhone 5 onto the Edge network. Once you install the app, you can use it just like you would SBSettings. Even better, the 3G toggle actually appears on SBSettings so you can use that if you like.

richardc1983

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Leeds, UK
GREAT NEWS... an app on cydia called BatteryDoctorPro (it has some Chinese Characters in the name on Cydia but the app is in English) allows you to use the 3G toggle to force the iPhone 5 onto the Edge network. Once you install the app, you can use it just like you would SBSettings. Even better, the 3G toggle actually appears on SBSettings so you can use that if you like.

Worked great thank you

Cyb3rfr3ak

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Just noticed today, that NCSettings is also able to disable 3G and force 2G on LTE iPhone 5. Somehow after 5x on/off it stopped toggling so I had to reboot. But then it works again

eojrr1

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Ncsettings doesn't seem to work on AT&T, the 3G toggle is there but doesn't seem to actually do anything. I do like nc setup better than sb.

I tried the Chinese battery app, I think it worked but it was just not the interface I was looking for, I may have to try again and just get used to it.

leviathan1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
I actually use Batterydoctorpro in addition to Sbsettings. You can set it to have toggles in the notification center just like Sbsettings. Also, once installed, Sbsettings should display the working 3G toggle.

tartooob

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013

Thank you a lot, you are a genius !

leviathan1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Just a heads up to stay away from the latest update (version 3.6.5-224) as one of the "fixes" changes the 4G toggle to LTE on the iPhone 5. While some people might like this change, it removes the ability to toggle between 4G and Edge... something that I found much more useful. People wanting to keep the ability to toggle to Edge should stay with version 3.6.1-224.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.