Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
With the current trends of things here's what to expect:

1. 30% thinner design

2. non-upgradable parts

3. 40% less packaging (for the environment, man)

Missing anything?

Nope, sounds like your bitterness is pretty well stated.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
June, just like every year. But they don't announce new hardware there - that'll be all for OS X 10.9 and iOS 7.

Apart from that they have announced new hardware there every single year except 2011, which was dedicated to software.

GadgetGuy1981

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2012
I think most folks here would like a little more graphics power than the little old mini. Good little machines, but not what you'd class as an expandable, semi future proof computer.

I for one would like to be able to upgrade my graphics card after a couple of years, maybe even the hard drive too. That doesn't sound like the mini as it stands now.

Cheers,

Ray

...Doesn't sound like the iMac either - The GPU is on the motherboard or is a proprietary board, and the Hard Drives are VERY upgradeable on the Mini... Have you ever seen how easy they are to open? With the iMac, I have to rip the glass off... Which is now glued down! let alone that the Mini opens from the bottom and immediately exposes the RAM for upgrade. Try upgrading RAM on the 21.5 iMac... Why in God's name did they NOT put a RAM DOOR on that thing? Especially considering that they didn't forget in the 27"... Boo Apple!

symber

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
London
Question

I think the next Mac I buy will be a Mac Pro, if they're still being sold in 3-4 years time. What I want to know is, will it be easy to use my current 2011 iMac as the display?

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
i doubt this... if it is true it is more of a spec bump and redsign to meet the new EU saftey spec... with the real update in the fall.

Wombat-man

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2010
The earth revolves around the sun differently in Ireland?
The definition of spring is ambiguous.

From the wikipedia page:
The specific definition of the exact timing of "spring" varies according to local climate, cultures and customs.

Although defining spring based on equinox to solstice is popular in the US, that's not the only way.
Again from wikipedia:
in most North Temperate Zone locations, spring months are March, April and May,

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

I assume he's pointing to the Irish tradition of using St Brigid's Day as the start of Spring....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Season#Other_calendar-based_reckoning]

I still contend that Apple is a North American Country therefore they would use the traditional North American calendar when quoting a season. Frankly I don't see them confirming a "Spring" release when "Spring" is already here based on the Irish calendar.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Masking the questionable credibility of the source for such an information, for me the most interesting part is that the newsletter explicitly mentions that a new "Mac Pro" would be coming. Originally Tim Cook last year spoke of an 'exicting new product for Pro users' or something like that (in the content of not having mentioned the Mac Pro during the Show before).

Assuming that Apple keeping the name would be true - how are chances that they would really leave the concept of having a big box with lots of internal space and Intel server grade components without changing the name as well?! After all people associate the term 'Mac Pro' with exactly such a setup.

And if it's "only" a redesign (say - slightly changed optics, perhaps a little smaller, updated innards) then why did they wait so long? Could have done this easily with the pathetic so-called "update" last year.

Could be a simply explanation like they wanted to let the MP die but reconsidered due to the flak they got from users worldwide.

But somehow i suspect (and wish for) a more radical change which simply took more time to test and implement. Something like a massively multicore ARM beast for example... ;) Perhaps with increased modularity to add performance blocks with additional CPU's, slots, memory or storage at will.

Big chance to demonstrate that they can still innovate beyond making things slimmer every other year.

Razzerman II

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Scunthorpe - yes, that place
...Doesn't sound like the iMac either - The GPU is on the motherboard or is a proprietary board, and the Hard Drives are VERY upgradeable on the Mini... Have you ever seen how easy they are to open? With the iMac, I have to rip the glass off... Which is now glued down! let alone that the Mini opens from the bottom and immediately exposes the RAM for upgrade. Try upgrading RAM on the 21.5 iMac... Why in God's name did they NOT put a RAM DOOR on that thing? Especially considering that they didn't forget in the 27"... Boo Apple!

Agreed - don't want an imac, tyvm. Much rather they made the damned xMac already, even though it seems a hopeless cause. And I wish people would stop saying 'it'll cannibalise this/that'. To paraphrase, we have to get away from the idea that for the xmac to win, the imac/mac pro has to lose. There are millions more potential young xmac buyers now. Time to make a machine this potential new user base would be interested in.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I think most folks here would like a little more graphics power than the little old mini. Good little machines, but not what you'd class as an expandable, semi future proof computer.

I for one would like to be able to upgrade my graphics card after a couple of years, maybe even the hard drive too. That doesn't sound like the mini as it stands now.

Cheers,

Ray

Exactly. While the MacPro needs to say for those doing rendering etc - I for one love the Mac mini. It already has space for two HD/SSD and a fast quad core hyperthreading i7. The only thing that lets it down is the integrated graphics. I run dual screens and the animation in OSX is sluggish and jerky. A slightly bigger box with space for a good graphics card would be perfect.
In fact, all it really needs is a 1GB 6770 or the newer 1GB NVidia GT cards found in the 2011/2012 MBPro - I'd still be very happy with that for >4 years, but the crappy HD3000/4000 are what will probably make me finally ditch SL and upgrade. (I'll likely leave the 2011 mac mini headless and screenshare for Rosetta applications.)

Dredd67

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Such a poor translation... meh

OK let's go:

Important message about the Mac Pro product line:

Dear Sir, Madam,

Starting March the 1st, Apple will not sale Mac Pro in the European Union anymore: these products infringe (...lawyer's blablablah...). Apple will take Mac Pro orders with CTO or custom made configurations until february the 18th to guarantee a delivery before march the 1st 2013.

Yet we think that the Mac Pro sales shutdown is only temporary, Apple informs us that a new Mac pro product line will be released in spring 2013. We will off course let you know about these products as soon as they are released.

The France Systèmes team.

Even in french it's kinda weird and poorly written.

Ah well, hope this helps you guys to better understand the point of this message.

As a side note, I wonder what kind of communication is that: is Apple known to leak such a huge info through their resellers ? I find this hard to believe. Maybe just another poor guy seeing his business going down and desperetaly trying to draw attention.

Future will tell us...

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I would think late spring. It would be silly if the new Mac Pro comes with anything less than haswell.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Yes. Much the same as Australians enjoy christmas in Summer.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland/weather

----------

I assume he's pointing to the Irish tradition of using St Brigid's Day as the start of Spring....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Season#Other_calendar-based_reckoning]

I still contend that Apple is a North American Country therefore they would use the traditional North American calendar when quoting a season. Frankly I don't see them confirming a "Spring" release when "Spring" is already here based on the Irish calendar.

April (in Ireland and USA) is still Spring so they could have a new machine good to go very quickly.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The Mac Pro has become the b***ard child of Apple. They stopped caring a long time ago.

Then why are they bothering. If they stopped caring they should just cut the Mac Pro and out that team in what they do care about -- the sales making iDevices

----------

probably they will be released togheter with an update version of the TB display..
Just a a guess!

That is my guess. And hopefully there will be a larger size option and HDMI inputs. Cause I don't always need a second display and it would be great to part time it as an Apple TV monitor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.