Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
How we know this isn't a slight design change to meet the EU regulations the current one fails?

It's likely much more than just an EU compliance fix since, by all reports including from Apple themselves, they've been working on a new MacPro for quite awhile.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Could there be a radical case redesign?

The current case is just a progression of the G5 case with more internal storage using room that used to be for the cooling system and irronically, it's current cooling system doesn't please the Europrats one bit so they need to redesign that too.

The Motherboard has seen little in the way of changes since the original Mac Pro apart from bus speed increases because it has redundant RAM slots and only SATA 3Gb/s.

The new Mac Pro will have to include the features of the rest of the range because I'm sure the Xeon series are literally the server grade version of whatever Intel have out in their Laptop/Desktop ranges at the time.

This means it should have as a bare minimum, updated I/O such as Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s. It wouldn't kill them if they started including several 2.5" bays for SSDs without using adapters or 3rd party solutions too.

There's a system Barefeats reviewed that indicates what Apple "could" be bringing out simply based on the Xeon chips available they could base it around:-

http://barefeats.com/sandy01.html

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
March 20th is the first day of spring.

Unless your in Ireland and it's the 1st Feb ;)

Either way. At least we know some form of Mac Pro is coming to replace the one they are halting.

Lets just hope its a proper 'new' mac pro and not just a mac pro with a fan cover and that's it.......

I really want to replace my 2008 model this year.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting... with any other product line, Apple tries to keep mum but the media hear's whispers anyways and people care so much it ends up on the news without Apple trying. With the MacPro, Apple has to go and tell people what's happening and the mainstream media still won't care to air it (MacRumors is obviously a niche media, which is why we hear about it here.)

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
This is the best darn mac rumor I've heard in a long time!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is true.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Apple cannot expect businesses to make large purchasing decisions when they provide minimal information about refreshes and updates.
You can't leave businesses hanging for years and then tease them with rumours. It is this strategy of secrecy that is killing Apple's Pro market, not the lack of up-to-date hardware.

I spent nearly of last year waiting for the iMac and Mini refresh. With the benefit of hindsight, (including the change to BTO options a few months later), I might have made different decisions. Hell, I might have spent more money.

But if a company needs 20 MacPros, they can't wait four months just in case Apple does a refresh.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I suspect instead of the late march announcment of iPads - since they seem to be moved to Fall, we will get a mighty march where Apple will be big on MAC.

Previews of 10.9

New Mac Pro announcement.

iWorks revamped radically

New Final Cut X.5 / XI

New Aperture

New Logic Pro

All the Apple software is in need of major updates. If Apple can storm us with a strong
"Back To The MAC"
message this march it would certainly fill the void of ipads with something we are all in need of far more than another new idevice.

benjs

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Interesting... with any other product line, Apple tries to keep mum but the media hear's whispers anyways and people care so much it ends up on the news without Apple trying. With the MacPro, Apple has to go and tell people what's happening and the mainstream media still won't care to air it (MacRumors is obviously a niche media, which is why we hear about it here.)

My guess the reason they're allowing this to be public news is for education/production houses, who probably buy heavy-duty computers in large batches. If Apple hadn't had such a stronghold on the professional market, these corporations likely would have jumped ship ages ago, and at this point, are probably getting fairly frustrated about the lack of attention.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I would think late spring. It would be silly if the new Mac Pro comes with anything less than haswell.

As I see it, there are two possibilities if this rumor is true:

1. Haswell Mac Pro released at WWDC
2. Compliance update in March/April, full redesign with Haswell in the fall (Cook did say they had something planned for the end of this year.)

I think 1 is more likely, they couldve had a compliance update out before it became an issue.

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
For people who can not read the Thunderbolt standard from Intel:

You need a IGPU for Thunderbolt pass though and Intel has made it clear if this is not done then thunderbolt will not be permitted on that system. Thus the new Mac Pro will not have Thunderbolt. Intel has expressed no willingness to change this.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
The Mac Pro has become the b***ard child of Apple. They stopped caring a long time ago.

3svkgy.jpg

I know it is bad... forgive me.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010

You need a IGPU for Thunderbolt pass though and Intel has made it clear if this is not done then thunderbolt will not be permitted on that system. Thus the new Mac Pro will not have Thunderbolt. Intel has expressed no willingness to change this.

Wy not add a stupid integrated chip and a discrete card? like in the macbook pros?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

Not accurate, see iMac.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'd guess the "smaller/thinner" rumors are probably true. It HAS to have USB3/SATA3/TB/etc, or it is a huge joke.

More interesting, now, is what kind of chips and what is the outlook for future processor upgrades. I have the suspicion this rung of processors might quickly (within a year) be superseded by something much better, but we'll have to wait and see.

Or they are referring to fiscal calendar and thus Q3 so more like April-June.

Honestly I think this will launch around the time of WWDC. Or even when 10.9 does which would be perhaps 3-4 weeks after WWDC. An event I wouldn't count on staying as late as June.

I think it is more likely for a WWDC release, but perhaps not--due to the EU problem. It could be out before June.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.