Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveDaveDave

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006
Rack mountable would be awesome.

+1. I could picture an entire line of Mac Pro components: modular 2u racks hooked up via Thunderbolt, with the main CPU "Mac Pro" having just enough space for an SSD pair. The main unit would be packaged in vertical rack-adapter "stand" or with detachable ears.

I can only dream...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'd guess the "smaller/thinner" rumors are probably true. It HAS to have USB3/SATA3/TB/etc, or it is a huge joke.

More interesting, now, is what kind of chips and what is the outlook for future processor upgrades. I have the suspicion this rung of processors might quickly (within a year) be superseded by something much better, but we'll have to wait and see.

I think it is more likely for a WWDC release, but perhaps not--due to the EU problem. It could be out before June.

Unless Apple wants it to be obsolete the second after it's released, we won't see it til June.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Mmmm.

The top-end iMac is such a powerful machine that the new Mac Pro has to be something *really* special to compete.

Here's my suggestion:

Top end:
Motherboard - Quad processor Supermicro board - something like this
X9QR7-TF__spec.jpg

- Quad Xeons
- Up to 1TB of RAM
- 32 x RAM slots
- Dual onboard 10GB-T ethernet
- 8x SAS2 (6gb/s) ports (compatible with SATA3 drives)
- the usual assortment of SATA3, USB3 ports

Case:
- 6x 3.5'' HDD slots
- 6x 2.5" HDD slots

Low end: Half the specs of above but still with all the HDD slots.

Only problem with the above board is relatively few card slots, and no on-board thunderbolt. So Apple might go with a slightly different board with more slots & provide Thunderbolt via an Intel add-on card.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
For people who can not read the Thunderbolt standard from Intel:

You need a IGPU for Thunderbolt pass though and Intel has made it clear if this is not done then thunderbolt will not be permitted on that system. Thus the new Mac Pro will not have Thunderbolt. Intel has expressed no willingness to change this.

There's no reason not to have integrated graphics on a Mac Pro.

It's cheap. If you need graphics power and use a discrete card instead, it cost you almost nothing.

It works. There are plenty of Mac Pro's (not all, but plenty) where people need the raw CPU power and don't care about graphics performance at all, and the integrated graphics does the job for them. And there are some people that need even more CPU power and they buy high-end graphics cards to do their calculations, not for graphics - again, integrated graphics runs your monitors just fine.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
So, summing up what's being asked for in this thread:
- New design badly needed.
- No changes to design, existing design is perfect.
- Smaller, thinner.
- Same size, it's a workstation that needs to be big.

Problem is, there are at least 2 distinct groups clamouring for a new MP, people who need a big, expandable workstation; and others (largely gamers) who just want a relatively compact tower where at least the GPU, if not the storage, is upgradable. I can't imagine Apple will release a mini-tower and a new tower, so most likely we'll just see a redesigned, possibly marginally smaller tower enclosure.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
The earth revolves around the sun differently in Ireland?

Well they do spend 90% of their time in the pub. The Irish never have been very accurate with things. Even in the UK and Ireland spring starts 21st March.

So it'll be released just after WDC in a silent update to the website.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I'd be disappointed if it had less than three internal drive bays. If they have 1-2, and tell you to rely on Thunderbolt, it would be disappointing since Thunderbolt peripherals are scarce and pricey.

My MacPro 1,1 is now sleeping in a corner. I purchased a 2012 Mac Mini with an SSD, and have 4 external 3TB drives in NewerTech enclosures (USB3). Yes, I gave up a separate video card and internal expansion, but it's running iPhoto, Aperture and iMovie very well, reads the photo and video files from one of the USB3 drives incredibly fast and meets all my needs. For the cost, I figured I can always upgrade it in 2 years and it would still be less than the MacPro. The MacPro was large and put off a great deal of heat. Besides, I needed to make a move, so I punted on the new MacPro. Perhaps I'll go back one day, but my set-up is working fine right now.

I am looking forward to seeing the new MacPro and I hope it's all we dream it will be ... powerful and expandable.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Hopefully with a new Thunderbolt Display with matte option (even if more expensive) to avid glare, reflections, headaches and sore eyes. It is a serious health and productivity issue!

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
How we know this isn't a slight design change to meet the EU regulations the current one fails?

I'm more inclined to believe that it will be the same Mac Pro, with hand guards installed on the internal fans for EU customers.

Apple has shamefully let the machine languish for SO long now (for no valid reason) that it is just much easier (and safer) to remain pessimistic.

Last edited:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Well they do spend 90% of their time in the pub. The Irish never have been very accurate with things. Even in the UK and Ireland spring starts 21st March.

Not always, for some here it's as Feb-Apr, so that the solstices are mid-winter and mid-summer. If "Spring" was quoted from Apple, I've no doubt it's the US Spring; if that was from the French reseller, then whenever French Spring begins.

I'm a bit dubious about the rumour, Sales/Retail were always the last to know about upcoming models - for good reason. They're paid to hype/sell products, not keep them secret. If Apple is 'doubling down' on secrecy, they would never leak this info to a reseller.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I would normally welcome a refresh of the Mac Pro just to silence the vocal minority who want one. I am afraid that it will only be replaced by different complaints. "It's not as serviceable! Where's e disc drive?! It's not enough of an upgrade!"

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
As I see it, there are two possibilities if this rumor is true:

1. Haswell Mac Pro released at WWDC
2. Compliance update in March/April, full redesign with Haswell in the fall (Cook did say they had something planned for the end of this year.)

Does Intel even have a timetable for Haswell Xeons yet? I doubt we'll see those processors before 2015.

Setmose

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Jerusalem, Israel
!! Great Job

Guessed as much. We have had no lay offs from the factory / assembly in Cork where most of the macpros in Europe are assembled, so it seemed logical that Apple would have a new macpro to replace the one they have to stop selling, otherwise their would have been job lay-offs.

I have a Mac Pro 2009 Nehalem 2.93 GHz x 2, 2.6 TB in 3 drives, 12 GB RAM. At the two-year mark I plopped in a Radeon 5870 Mac Version to replace the stock 4870.

The system was assembled and given a 1-week QA burn-in in Cork before being delivered to me in Jerusalem. Has run without a hitch since then. Great machine, and great job by you lads in Cork! :apple:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
For the love of everyone out there waiting for a Mac Pro refresh(I know there's a lot on here). I hope it's true! :D

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
What exactly do you have in mind? That would be the Mac mini, frankly.

No.

Mini has a notebook processor, iMac has a desktop processor. Mini has integrated graphics. iMac has discrete graphics.

That's a pretty significant difference.

What most of us want is a mac pro that provides expandability options, but doesn't necessarily have the expensive Xeon processors and ECC memory.

Maybe just a scaled down version of the current mac pro.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
How much will be the base model Mac Pro?

Will it come with software bundles, such as "Final Cut trial version"?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would normally welcome a refresh of the Mac Pro just to silence the vocal minority who want one. I am afraid that it will only be replaced by different complaints. "It's not as serviceable! Where's e disc drive?! It's not enough of an upgrade!"

I seriously doubt they will get rid of the disc drive. The people here who want a MP appear to be a minority but MacRumors is not a utopia and people do not always find their way online to express their needs and wants. What you see here is in no way shape or form indicative of the entire public. As such, while the number of people who need/want a MP may be less than those who want/need an iMac, there is clearly still a market for the machine.

The MP, if released without an optical and no longer user serviceable as all other models have been, will be a giant over-priced flop; if that were to happen. At that point I would simply buy an iMac and save a penny or 10.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
With the current trends of things here's what to expect:

1. 30% thinner design

2. non-upgradable parts

3. 40% less packaging (for the environment, man)

Missing anything?

Did you mention it'll be thinner? And lighter?

Oh I almost forgot, it'll also be thinner.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
i suspect instead of the late march announcment of ipads - since they seem to be moved to fall, we will get a mighty march where apple will be big on mac.

Previews of 10.9

new mac pro announcement.

Iworks revamped radically

new final cut x.5 / xi

new aperture

new logic pro

all the apple software is in need of major updates. If apple can storm us with a strong message this march it would certainly fill the void of ipads with something we are all in need of far more than another new idevice.

+1

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Will it be a complete refresh or just a new chipset? Only time will tell.

Tim Cook is quoted as saying "we are working on something really great" for pro users. It doesn't take a whole lot of work to pop in a new chipset. Also that would hardly be really great, and you can't fool pro users like consumer users. Huge shark jump if it were just a new chip set so I'm betting the entire pot on something completely new... new case, new guts. It will be as innovative and fresh as the Mac G3 blue and white. A pro Mac for the 21st century.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.