Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Such a shame leekohler got banned. I'd really like to rub this under his very nose! Love it!

He did? Why?

...Doesn't sound like the iMac either - The GPU is on the motherboard or is a proprietary board, and the Hard Drives are VERY upgradeable on the Mini... Have you ever seen how easy they are to open? With the iMac, I have to rip the glass off... Which is now glued down! let alone that the Mini opens from the bottom and immediately exposes the RAM for upgrade. Try upgrading RAM on the 21.5 iMac... Why in God's name did they NOT put a RAM DOOR on that thing? Especially considering that they didn't forget in the 27"... Boo Apple!

I have 15TB right now. Will that fit in the mini?

Not accurate, see iMac.

The iMac graphics are soldiered to the board the MP's is not. Is it discrete yes is it separate form the MoBo no.

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2013
I can't wait! Hopefully it will be with better specs (something useful, not lame update like the last time).

I love the design and size of the current Mac Pro.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
ill wait and see if this is apples "new" as in "the same old Mac Pro with a slightly improved CPU/RAM/Storage configuration like they tried to get past us last "update" or an actual Mac Pro with USB 3, Thunderbolt etc.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I'm open to innovative new designs mostly because my favorite Apple designs were at one time both new and innovative.

That said I hope the new Mac Pro looks just like the old one but includes USB3, eSATA 3 while retaining dual Ethernet and dual FW800 ports. There is just something about the Mac Pro's design that is timeless and without need for change.

To those who say that want a smaller, more compact Mac Pro I say if you don't have the space for a Mac Pro you probably don't really need a Mac Pro.

Save the smaller-yet-smaller devices for the mall rats tweeting about who got laid at last weekend's under-aged drinking party.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'm more inclined to believe that it will be the same Mac Pro, with hand guards installed on the internal fans for EU customers.

But if they are planning on nothing more than that, there's no reason at all they wouldn't have it ready in time for the regulation. With the stop in EU sales, the only things that make sense would be that they're going to eventually kill the model completely, or that they have another update coming but for whatever reason it won't be ready by the EU deadline.

jackswellington

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Only 2?

Yeah!!! This made my day. :)

My ideal:

Small form factor a la the ill fated "G4 Cube"

- SATA III
- 2-3 internal HDD/SSD bays
- 2x PCIe slots
- Processor(s) - 1-2 processor configurations (Xeon or Ivy-Bridge EX processors for heavy lifting, or i7 for light needs)
- USB 3.0
- Thunderbolt ports (perhaps for additional non-PCIe graphics box)
- Of course RAM

Run a Thunderbolt cable to a workstation for display(s) and HID's, leave it stashed out of sight. Would lower costs, allow for low to high end configurations, upgradability/expandability, use of non-Apple displays and HID's, and smaller form factor would benefit shipping footprint and ease of use. Bring it.

I need two GPU cards, a proprietary encoder card, and a blackmagic video display card. Minimum for me would be 4X PCIe 16 gen 3 slots. Minimum.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Tim Cook is quoted as saying "we are working on something really great" for pro users. It doesn't take a whole lot of work to pop in a new chipset. Also that would hardly be really great, and you can't fool pro users like consumer users. Huge shark jump if it were just a new chip set so I'm betting the entire pot on something completely new... new case, new guts. It will be as innovative and fresh as the Mac G3 blue and white. A pro Mac for the 21st century.

Tim Cook also said 'late next year' and unless he means Apple's FY, that's a way past Spring. I'm also of the opinion that they wouldn't just release something with fan guards because they've had a long time to do that. So, perhaps something went right with the manufacturing process this time and they can be early.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Since Apple is a North American Company....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_(season)#Astronomical_and_solar_reckoning

March 21 - June 21

When is WWDC this year?

June, just like every year. But they don't announce new hardware there - that'll be all for OS X 10.9 and iOS 7.

This.

This years WWDC will be pro related.

Rumors of Streaming Radio.
A non-upgrade upgraded Apple TV.
From what I've been hearing a couple of new Codecs.
Intro to new WiFi standards.
Media content deals.

Apple will have a lot of new API's to work with developers on.

I can see a Pro WWDC with the Mac Pro being shown as the workstation to do all this new Pro stuff with.
And computers have been shown at WWDC before.
This year it might just be the Mac Pro.

/wishful thinking.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
No fear, folks. I think the delay is because they got to a point in the incremental design and realized they needed to stop refining and redesign the whole thing from the ground up. Look at what else they've stopped doing: server racks. Artists may need something stronger in their machine, but plenty of artists I know are using servers in render farms, and none of those I've heard of are running Mac OS X these days. Servers aren't stand-alone units anymore, they have hot-swappable parts, and more than just the hard drive. Sure they cancelled the Xserve, but they sell a version of the Mac mini as a server: they aren't leaving the server market, but they know a single rack-mounted monolithic unit isn't an effective design in that market. It's no coincidence that their most popular reconfigurable machine is the one that's taking so long to get right. Apple has been pushing the use of XPC to Mac-store apps, which could enable massively parallel applications to take advantage of tightly integrated clusters of cores. They claim it's for rights escalation & separation, but the protocol itself is designed to make it really easy to effortlessly spawn another process remotely on dynamically available computing resources, each with its own memory. My prediction is: look for a Mac Pro that isn't a monolith anymore. Sure, they may actually put the same monolithic box around it, but the way new mac's get serviced, upgraded and "expanded" is going to be radically different.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
All it would take to thrill me is a beefed up version of the Mac mini. If Apple offered a new low-end Mac Pro with:

3.4GHz quad-core i7
GeForce GTX 675MX with 1GB
Room for two 3.5" hard drives
Fusion Drive option
Ram up to 32GB
Two Thunderbolt ports
Four USB 3.0 ports
One Firewire 800 port

I'd buy that sucker in a heartbeat. I'd climb over the top of people in front of me to place my order.

But, I realize that any Mac Pro will also include at least two slots for upgrade cards. Unfortunately, adding additional cost for features that many potential Mac Pro buyers don't need or use.

Mark

dmx3698

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I should of waited

Wow what a shocker a MacBook Pro refresh in April. I should of waited to buy MacBook Pro this year, retina display, wirless ac chip for faster wifi, new intel chip is suppose be a lot better for battery life.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I assume he's pointing to the Irish tradition of using St Brigid's Day as the start of Spring....

Easter is traditionally the start of Spring in the US, and Labor Day (first Monday in September) is traditionally the start of Fall.

But they're not the ACTUAL DATES of Spring and Fall - those are based on the Equinoxes. Which means that if Apple releases the Mac Pro before June 22, they're on time. Most likely they'll introduce the Mac Pro at WWDC, which will be sometime in the first 3 weeks of June.

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
June, just like every year. But they don't announce new hardware there - that'll be all for OS X 10.9 and iOS 7.

Outwardly, the Mac Pro resembles the last version of the Power Mac G5, and has similar expansion capabilities. An Intel-based replacement for those machines had been expected for some time before the Pro was formally announced on August 7, 2006 at the annual Apple Worldwide Developer's Conference. The first Mac Pro was based on dual Dual-core Xeon Woodcrest processors. This was replaced by a dual Quad-core Xeon Clovertown model on April 4, 2007, and again on January 8, 2008 by a dual Quad-core Xeon Harpertown model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.