Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ed A.

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Southern Connecticut, USA
I really don't get comments like these. You switched at a drop of a hat, but you have no intention of going back? Then why comment on a third party Final Cut Pro X utility that looks pretty cool and shows the strength of the platform?

What people don't understand, and it is mostly Apple's fault for the confusion, is that when Apple switched from supporting both Cocoa and Carbon developing environments to just supporting Cocoa, Apple had to rewrite Final Cut from the ground up. That is a major undertaking because Final Cut Pro 7 was huge piece of software. Apple took the same approach it did when it released OSX. It brought out a product that contained a solid foundation, but lacked many features the previous version had. Unfortunately, many of these features Pros were relying on. Apple should have foresaw this, but the way it likes secrecy sort of backfired on it.

Since the release though, Apple said it would quickly be adding features, and it temporarily put Final Cut Pro 7 back on the market. True to it's word in the fifteen months it has been out, Apple has released at least 7 significant updates. It even offers a free demo now. To each their own, but in comparison to other options, it also costs a lot less.

On the App Store, it has almost 4 out of 5 stars, which seems pretty good considering all the angry people who reviewed it when it first came out and who gave it one star (which brings the average down).

----------

You might prefer Premiere, but as I already mentioned, Apple released 7 free significant updates since the first version was released. Many people who dogged the program went back and praised the updates. Lots of people liked what Final Cut Pro X brought to the table in terms of new features, they just hated the lack of relied upon features and the initial lack of backwards compatibility between projects (since addressed).

Apple obviously is serious about the program or it wouldn't be going to town on bringing in free updates adding features so quickly. It also is clearly listening to the pro community in doing so as many of the added back features are the ones pros gripped about.

I'm certified in FCP 6, 7 & X, but I was using Adobe's Production Suite for a little while and I really hated it. Premiere seemed so old school compared to FCP X, that I don't use Premiere any more. I like FCP X so much that it's the only NLE I use for over a year now, I don't even revert back to FCP 7 anymore.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
This is interesting on many levels.

As a photographer and daily user of Aperture I sincerely hope Apple is showings its hand about their pro line. (All grumbling aside, I still like Aperture better than Lightroom. An update is needed though. Aperture X, anyone?)

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE having a companion App for Aperture on my iPad.

Let me rate, tag and sort photos on my iPad and sync that with Aperture. That would be a dream come true. I wouldn't even need all the "heavy lifting" such as non-destrcitive editing for now.

Yes, absolutely. It should be possible to create companion iPad interfaces for everything to do with Apple Pro software. Full screen mode is very nice, but I find that I search for tool bars a lot, and this would solve it elegantly and perfectly. Not only for Aperture, but think of Logic! An off screen, on table mixing board would be heaven. It's almost expected at this point. I hope this is a glimpse of things to come.

Edit: This got me thinking, and I looked around and it seems there ARE apps like this for Logic. I had no idea. Excited to check some out! Wow, the times we live in!

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yes, absolutely. It should be possible to create companion iPad interfaces for everything to do with Apple Pro software. Full screen mode is very nice, but I find that I search for tool bars a lot, and this would solve it elegantly and perfectly. Not only for Aperture, but think of Logic! An off screen, on table mixing board would be heaven. It's almost expected at this point. I hope this is a glimpse of things to come.

Edit: This got me thinking, and I looked around and it seems there ARE apps like this for Logic. I had no idea. Excited to check some out! Wow, the times we live in!

Can iPads be paired with Macs and behave like Bluetooth keyboards/trackpads?

If so then it might not be too difficult at all to provide interfaces for apps that can provide keyboard shortcuts for various functions...

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Having "soft" remote control solutions for creative Apps (FCP, Logic, etc.) is gonna cripple or even kill HW based solutions. With touch screens you get all the benefits of "manual controls" (knobs/sliders/etc.), MUCH cheaper prices, and HW that does not go obsolete to expand functionality.

Bring it on!!!!:D

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I'm not a pro, but I do use FCPX for all my video editing needs (and used previous versions of FCP before that). I wonder how useful this is for someone who is already proficient with FCPX and it's keyboard shortcuts (and is a touch typist who doesn't look at the keyboard). If you have to look at the iPad to see what you are pressing that is just going to slow you down, using the keyboard and mouse (or Touchpad/Magic Trackpad) is going to be way more efficient. Maybe a jogwheel would help, too, but it would need to be a physical one to be useful.

Software that would actually let you see and work with the content on the iPad itself would be useful (but this is not that). I've been hoping Apple would create an API that lets iPad apps communicate over USB to OS X apps for a higher bandwidth/lower latency connection (at least compared to Wifi), which would enable such things as having a full-fledged controller for video editing software where you can work with the actual assets on the iPad while the application runs on the Mac. Of course, Apple could do this via private APIs for their own products (but it would be nice if they made it available for 3rd party devs, too). Something like this would be great for Aperture as well.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I LOVE companion apps. I wish more companies did it.

Corel Painter has Cinco which makes Corel Painter such a joy to use (I love having an extra set of menus on my iPad).

Luxology has LuxPreview for Modo which offputs your render onto your iPad. Its actually really convenient.

THANK YOU!!!!!! I didn't know about Cinco and I use Painter everyday ! doh. Just downloaded :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I use all the major apps from MC/Symphony, PPro to FCPX.
With this app it just opens up doors.
The developer gets their share of the pie then whats stopping them to moving to other apps.
My wish list is:
Resolve
Maya
Pro Tools
Avid
Adobe

Then we can all stop crying :)

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Having "soft" remote control solutions for creative Apps (FCP, Logic, etc.) is gonna cripple or even kill HW based solutions. With touch screens you get all the benefits of "manual controls" (knobs/sliders/etc.), MUCH cheaper prices, and HW that does not go obsolete to expand functionality.

Touch screen apps definitely don't have all the benefits of physical controls. One of the main benefits of physical controls is due to the tactile nature of it, you can use physical controls without looking. With touchscreens you have to look at the screen to make sure you are not pressing the wrong thing or that your finger isn't moving off of the control you are using and onto another control. Maybe you can get really good at it so that you don't have to look as often, but you'll never get as good as you would be with physical controls.

That's not to say that touch screen apps don't offer advantages. They do, and they offer new things that physical controls can't touch (no pun intended :) ). In the audio app world, just look at what you can do with MIDI controller apps, like TouchOSC, Lemur, touchAble, etc. Audio is a little different than video, though, because you don't have to be looking at anything to get feedback as to what you are doing, you can hear it. But even then, a touch screen MIDI keyboard (as in piano) is never going to replace the physical version for most musicians. Pad controllers can easily be created in software maybe minus the pressure-sensitive pads, but you're just not going to get the same speed with a touch screen app (and you won't get pressure sensitive touches, at least not with the iPad). Just trying using iMaschine for iOS and then go and use a physical Maschine controller -- it's a world of a difference.

For video editing, unlike audio, you have to be constantly looking at the video to see what you are doing. Jumping back and forth between two screens when you are editing video just isn't going to be that helpful, at least for cutting up video which is what video editors spend most of their time on (pro editors, correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm going based on my own non-pro experience). As I said in my previous post, what would be useful is if you could work with the content directly on the iPad. Look at how something like iMovie for iOS works. If we could have something like that in the form of controller for FCPX that would be pretty compelling, but is a lot more complicated and involved then something that just sends simple button press and jogwheel commands to FCPX, so it's non-trivial to create the kind of app I'm describing.

iheartiphone4

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
La Crosse, WI
This looks pretty cool. But I switched to Premiere CS6 not too long after X came out. No intention of returning to the final cut suite.

I've used cs6 and final cut x and final cut x is WAY better and way faster and smoother. This app is amazingly sweet and just adds to the better experience of final cut x

----------

I want it like a fat kid want cake!

captmatt

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Timeline scrubbing!?!

At last! Skimming is good, but scrubbing back and forth with 2 fingers like you do in QT is the one thing i really miss!

I charge £25 an hour for my time - if this saves me an hour in a day it will have paid for itself. by teatime.

If you got the job done an hour faster, wouldn't that net you less income?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Cool app, but $25 seems a little expensive.

$25 compared to the cost of the video you are editing? That footage likely cost you "thousands" at least. Heck a microphone cable cost more than $25.

People forget about the cost of their data and their time. What do you think a professional video editor is paid per hour? A bunch more than $25. The cost of this software is about the same a a few minutes of your time.

Also this is not a max market app. There are not 1,000,000 people who could use this so they have to recover their development time with only a few copies sold. Again what do you think a professional software developer makes per hour and how many hours to make this? They have likely invested a 7 or digit figure in creating this. That would be cheap actually

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
What I find funny is that "big Hollywood productions" still use regular computer mice and keyboards like everyone else.

I don't doubt this software would be fun to play with and see how well it works, but pro editors are so used to keyboard shortcuts that they probably wouldn't change how they work unless other control surfaces had something significantly better to offer. Most of them look nice, but don't really increase speed or productivity much. Software like this is usually marketed at consumers and prosumers to make them feel special about using "professional" software. They are selling the psychology of the experience to wannabes more than the objective, real-world benefits to the professional user.

Still, for $25, it might be worth the cost to play with it for a while for fun!

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Especially when you consider how much a hardware device would cost that offered the same level of functionality. Shuttle/jog controllers can cost hundreds.

The app is missing the tactile feel of a physical jog wheel though. With a hardware device, you could operate it by feel alone.

True.. but like you said, the hardware devices cost a lot of money!

I know they make 'joysticks' that stick on to the display and provide a tactile way to interface with the iPad for games (it's basically a stick-on joystick with a 'stylus' underneath the joystick)

I bet someone could do the same for a stick-on jogwheel that sat atop the virtual jogwheel.

In the end though, I think this is going to be a low cost alternative to expensive hardware and thus will have some tradeoffs anyway. I can't imagine anyone 'preferring' this to a hardware jog wheel (but to be fair, I don't use FCP so I am not an expert on the subject!)

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've tried apps like this for Davinci Resolve. While I can appreciate the concept, one of the main selling points of an external controller is the tactile factor, so you can keep your eyes on the video and operate by touch. That whole thing is completely lost with the iPad since you can't feel where anything is.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
This sounds like a great idea! But has FCP X gotten much better since its first release?

It went from unusable to pretty good actually. Here's what's changed since their initial big screw up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4589

If you drop down each version to see what's changed, even if you get rid of the bug fixes, it's added a lot back to itself in addition to items the older program never had.

If you have a simple to medium sized project, it's my favorite editor. If you shoot for multi-cam editing, it's stupid fun to use. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmFmyXWaQHM

Also, $25. That's cheap. The end. ^_^

Last edited:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Apple should have come out with configurable multitouch control surfaces for all their pro apps by now, & an API for the USB bus access for lower latency interfacing like this.

As well as matching the amount of drivespace for backups on icloud to the size iPad you bought.

Apple seems to be lacking in the greater overall vision with regard to iPad software. Such awesome potential. Get on the ball, Apple.

I answer with a question - do u think apple is lacking or smart for letting other ppl develop this saving them time and energy, then apple gets a cut?
:)

I love the concept and will be dloading this when I get home. $25 is nothing when saving time is paramount. Time = money

Anyone who runs a business should realize that. :)

But yes something for aperture would be handy too. Maybe this company will develop it if they have the feedback and funds from ppl buying this product.

Joe Walker

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Can somebody please tell me how to batch export out multiple sequences from FCPX? Like, say a guy like me has 45 separate projects that need to all be batched out at the same time as holy separate h.264's, is that doable yet in FCPX?

Funny how in FCP7, they had a simple File>Batch Export option. What happened to that? Is there a workaround? Is there something I'm missing?

Julianc7

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
This sounds like a great idea! But has FCP X gotten much better since its first release? I just ditched it and used Premiere ever since, and it does everything much better and faster than FCP X did at the time of release. Is it worth switching to FCP X at this time? I liked how it's simplified, but then I realized that you can only do about 10% of the things a video editor should do, not to mention the incompatibility of plugins…

Since when could you email from an iPod shuffle?
Over the years the credibility of comments on Mac Rumours is undermined by the amount of trolling from Windows and Android users pretending to use Apple products, but really posting negative comments.

Apologies if you are posting from a Touch and think it's a shuffle - But you are nailed if you trolling. As a genuine Apple user - I think we should all be outing trolling numpties on here that pretend to be disaffected Apple users, only creating negative vibes. I wonder if these people are actually paid to troll?

bunger

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Can anyone find a demo video of the app? The vendor's website lists one, but there isn't actually a video...

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Can somebody please tell me how to batch export out multiple sequences from FCPX? Like, say a guy like me has 45 separate projects that need to all be batched out at the same time as holy separate h.264's, is that doable yet in FCPX?

Funny how in FCP7, they had a simple File>Batch Export option. What happened to that? Is there a workaround? Is there something I'm missing?

Bath is not part of FCx. Unfortunately
But you should be able to send multiple sequences to compressor then submit. I haven't tried it and I'm not home to look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.