Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
The latest on the street says the 5 won't arrive till October.There are supply issues,probably the Sharp Igzo displays.So says Jeremy Horowitz from iLounge who claims to know suppliers in China.

He also says he has held a 5 shell and describes it as a stretched mini.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Exactly so they've probably just hit stores now so in theory the moving-to-lightning argument doesn't really stick. Apple knew that it would take this long for accessory makers to get their products to the shelves so why not just release a new iPad in march with the new connector.

I'm not saying that there'll be one, just that the argument doesn't really hold up.

The argument sticks from the fact that since the iPhone 5 release there hasn't been a newly designed device with a 30-pin connector. All that's left are legacy iPad 2s and classic iPods, everything from here on out is Lightning centric. Menel, who you responded to, said devices not accessories, so its an iOS lightning device world.

But there will be no March release because a redesigned iPad 5 will be shown at a keynote event. No March keynote, no new iPad.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
The argument sticks from the fact that since the iPhone 5 release there hasn't been a newly designed device with a 30-pin connector. All that's left are legacy iPad 2s and classic iPods, everything from here on out is Lightning centric. Menel, who you responded to, said devices not accessories, so its an iOS lightning device world.

But there will be no March release because a redesigned iPad 5 will be shown at a keynote event. No March keynote, no new iPad.
That's true, no keynote equals no iPad. On the other hand invitations to keynotes are in general sent out <2 weeks before. So it's way too early to know 100% for sure.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
The internet usually has stories about Apple reserving event locations well ahead of two weeks.

Well there was the Mac Pro spring release rumor. If that is going to be a redesign, a keynote for both announcements would be pretty ideal.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The latest on the street says the 5 won't arrive till October.There are supply issues,probably the Sharp Igzo displays.So says Jeremy Horowitz from iLounge who claims to know suppliers in China.

He also says he has held a 5 shell and describes it as a stretched mini.

Since November last year AU Optronics the company charged with producing a 7.9" Retina display for the mini, stated that everything was on schedule and they would have the screen ready to go into production Q3 2013 for release Q4 2013.

So it was patently clear in regards to a retina mini that there was NEVER a chance the iPad mini was going to be refreshed in March.

Yet a couple of clueless financial analysts who base predictions on stock market prices rather than realistic technological availability of components, say March refresh because previous iPads were released then, and sites like MacRumors and 9to5 report what these analysts - regardless of how likely or rather unlikely their predictions are or on what evidence they are actually based and the uninformed masses suddenly believe in their droves that their was indeed going to be a march refresh, and will likewise undoubtably post in their droves about how disappointed they are when Apple fails to actually do so....

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well there was the Mac Pro spring release rumor. If that is going to be a redesign, a keynote for both announcements would be pretty ideal.

I predict 'if' there is any keynote, this March will be about the Mac Pro and new software only.

We know they have been recruiting people in relation to software products over the past year or more and with most of Apples software lineup outdated or in need of desperate maintenance updates - a march announcement of

iWork (not a major update since 09)
Logic Pro 9 (falling well behind Pro Tools once more)
Aperture
Final Cut Pro X (either a .5 update or release XI)
iLife - since they have basically taken two applications away from us iWeb & iDVD apple really need to update iLife and add additional applications to the suite rather than continue down the line of stripping content away.

OS10.9

If we got a March keynote revealing 10.9, new software overhaul of all mac software and backed up by announcement of new redesigned Mac Pro launching a in late Q2 2013, with pre-orders available from after the keynote...you can bet the lack of iDevice announcement will be forgotten.

Apple need to bring some focus 'Back to the Mac'....

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I think it's becoming clearer that Apple won't release any new products this year until May/June. I'd say they're capitalising on Christmas and summer when the average person buys these products.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I predict 'if' there is any keynote, this March will be about the Mac Pro and new software only.

We know they have been recruiting people in relation to software products over the past year or more and with most of Apples software lineup outdated or in need of desperate maintenance updates - a march announcement of

Yeah but they *just* placed job listings for some of those iLife projects. Meaning they won't likely be ready to launch anything until 10.9 at the earliest. They don't want another Maps fiasco on their hands.

I think it's becoming clearer that Apple won't release any new products this year until May/June. I'd say they're capitalising on Christmas and summer when the average person buys these products.

They have way too many products to focus on the second half of the year only.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Yeah but they *just* placed job listings for some of those iLife projects. Meaning they won't likely be ready to launch anything until 10.9 at the earliest. They don't want another Maps fiasco on their hands.

They have way too many products to focus on the second half of the year only.

I meant I dont think well see any ios products in March.

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Maybe the iPhone will be updated early summer and iPad in time for the holiday season. The iPhone can then compete with the galaxy which has been benefitting from an earlier release. The iPad and again iPhone benefitting from holiday sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.