Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Do you really need both or do you own an android and a iPad?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I own both, iPhone 4S and iPad 2.

Do I need both? No. I can just use the iPhone and be done with it. However, extra real estate when doing some things is nice. No, an mega screen like Galaxy's is out of the question.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Have multiple iPhones as well as multiple iPads both full size and mini in the household.

I would think most who have both use them in very different ways. When at home I use the pads for general surfing and game playing, phone is for on the go.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't think I need a cell phone. I've seen plenty of people survive still without using a cell phone.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have both AND a Nexus N7 which I bought to fiddle with Android. The iPad and iphone are both used daily, the ipad being my choice for entertainment at night in bed, so they are both required....The Nexus? Well, it's a little learning toy really.:)

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
iPad 3 for at home use. iPhone 5 for everything else. iPhone 4 for use as an iPod in the gym

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
iPhone 5 and iPad 4 yes, I can do most simple things with my phone, but the iPad replaced my notebook computer, larger screen that the iPhone makes it comfortable for my old eyes

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I own an iPad mini and iPhone.

I have the iPad mini because being locked into the ecosystem.

What I realized what I really want more than anything else.

Is a Macbook Air with a touchscreen and a detachable keyboard.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
Got an iPhone 5, ipad 2, ipad 3, tf300 and pantech element. Sold tf300 because of I/O issue. My wife is using the ipad 3 regularly. Ipad 2 for her mum.

I seldom use the ipad cos I think it's too heavy. The pantech is the perfect size and weight and I got it for $160 only refurbed. I love the customization of android. Only wish it had retina display. But that's what the ipad mini 2 is for. But as a productivity tool, the pantech is great for on the go and has all the ports I need.

That said, I love my Iphone 5 but the ipad doesn't offer me much more.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I own an Android smartphone and an iPad because I write about tech and need to try both types of apps.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Got an iPhone and an iPad 3rd Gen. I prefer reading books and magazines on the iPad. Also much better experience watching movies on the iPad during travel. The iPhone is for communication and quick updates such as bank balances, delivery status, etc.

Two completely different devices IMO. Apple and orange comparison. Like asking "why do you have a boat and a car?"

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
The only thing that's kept me on the very small iPhone is that I own an iPad. All the things I'd be doing on the iPhone if it was a decent size, gets done on the iPad.. which is really what Apple wanted, now isn't it?

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
No one necessarily NEEDS an iPad. It's just a convenient luxury item to have.

I know I will get flamed for this, but,I guess by this thought we could say no one really NEEDS a car, we could all walk or ride horses. I am sorry but I think your statement is way too general, you do not know the needs of everyone

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I know I will get flamed for this, but,I guess by this thought we could say no one really NEEDS a car, we could all walk or ride horses. I am sorry but I think your statement is way too general, you do not know the needs of everyone

You forgot bikes..They help burn the fat off your tail aiding to a much healthier life.

But its truth, no one NEEDS half the crap we own, but society will have you believe otherwise.

Its called Marketing and consumerism....

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
If you're willing to accept Windows, go with a Surface RT.

No, nor will I get a windows surface pro. I am hoping that with the patents out there that in the next year or two Apple will implement something like this.

This is more because of the need for bootcamp and usb ports than anything else. I just like to sometimes carry around a screen, but I do a majority of my work in OSX so the idea of having two laptops is not happening for me.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I'm just thinking that I will sell my iPad mini, sell my 16GB iPhone 5 and by a 64GB iPhone 5. Since I got my iPhone 5 I stopped using the iPad totally. I think that I will be happy with just one device which will fulfill my capacity needs :)

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
I have both devices as sometimes one just doesnt do what the other does. I cant read a book on my phone at all. Eyes just dont allow it, but my mini, no problem at all. I also dont game on my mini, thats what I have the phone for. Also more real estate to browse on the mini vs my iPhone5 so most web browsing is done on the mini. Its also a pain to show photos to people n the phone so I use the iPad. There are many things they each do well individually. But if you dnt do those tasks then it would seem pointless.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Android? No.

Do I need either of them? Technical answer is no. No one needs an smartphone, tablet, computer, etc. All we "need" is food, water and shelter.

Do those devices make my life easier, more enjoyable, relaxing, etc.? You bet. I can look up restaurant reviews, get driving directions, take pictures wherever/whenever I want, check email, listen to music, play games, etc.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
you have to keep in mind that and iPhone does not replace an iPad or other way around. In my case the mini is only Wifi so the iphone is used a lot when not around a connection.

but since getting the mini, I mainly surf n game on the iPad and phone is mostly for calls and txt with some on the road surfing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.