Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I've only bought a handful of songs / albums from iTunes. I really like buying from Amazon's digital store because:
-MP3 (no DRM)
-Frequent sales.

The last few albums I bought were $5.99, for good, modern stuff. Nice.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
They had to go with 25 Billion and 1. Apparently that 25B was downloaded by Lennay Kekua but they caught that error JUST in time.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I find it odd that they didn’t publicise it - Last time, when it was 10 billion or whatever, Apple splashed it all across their home page, with the countdown clock and all.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"Phillip will receive a €10,000 iTunes® Gift Card."

That's going to just wreck Zynga's leaderboards.

I've only bought a handful of songs / albums from iTunes. I really like buying from Amazon's digital store because:
-MP3 (no DRM)
-Frequent sales.

I like having the Amazon option, but Apple's choice of MP4 (AAC) format gives better quality and also has NO DRM. At the dawn of the iTunes Store the music labels required DRM (Fairplay) and iTunes video still has it. But Apple fought for DRM-free music and ultimately we got it.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
-MP3 (no DRM)
-Frequent sales.

mp3s? what's wrong with AAC (.m4a)

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
What was the name of that record\music store that went out of business?

ebow

macrumors 6502a
I was curious when their last milestone was, to see the rate of purchases on the iTunes store...a Google search revealed they announced 20 billion back in September.

That means it took them 11 years to sell the first 20 billion. And 5 months to sell a quarter again of that.

I would have thought it was slowing with Spotify and other services on the rise. But the above figures mean music purchases on iTunes are accelerating.

Your numbers are a bit off, but your conclusion is spot-on. The iTunes Music Store launched on 28 April 2003, so it has been open for almost, but not quite, 10 years now.

I've been tracking Apple's milestone announcements since the store launched (don't ask me why, I really don't know). Overall they've sold 7 million songs per day since launch, which is up from the 5.84 million per day as of Sept 2012 (when they reached 20 billion). The recent pace, though, has really accelerated. They've sold 34 million songs per day since last Sept's announcement. Before that, the pace was 10-11 million per day.

See the included screenshot of my nerdtastic spreadsheet. :eek:

Attachments

• iTMS-stats.png
    iTMS-stats.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 146

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
I was curious when their last milestone was, to see the rate of purchases on the iTunes store...a Google search revealed they announced 20 billion back in September.

That means it took them 11 years to sell the first 20 billion. And 5 months to sell a quarter again of that.

I would have thought it was slowing with Spotify and other services on the rise. But the above figures mean music purchases on iTunes are accelerating.

About 13 months ago the iTunes Store opened for all Latin America an almost all the Caribbean. In the summer more iTunes Stores opened in selected countries. Then in September another number of stores opened mainly in Asia. There's your answer.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
-MP3 (no DRM)
-Frequent sales.

Buying from Amazon because of DRM free mp3 format is stupid, when you can buy higher quality DRM free AAC format from the iTunes store.

And at least in the UK, anyone who is a bit organised has a permanent iTunes sale, because you can always find some store selling £25 iTunes gift cards for £20. That's 20 percent off everything.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Although music is available for free via many online sources, I think that with the shutdown of Limewire people just find it so much easier to just purchase their music. That's how I feel anyway. It's too much work to download music, sort it, find the album artwork, and fill in all the other data I'm OCD about. Plus the addition of iCloud sealed the deal for me. I often find myself frustrated that I don't have that sense of "automatic backup" with mixtapes or songs I download from Soundcloud that the producer or artist releases for free. My best solution is to put a "downloaded" comment in songs I don't purchase so I can sort by comments and back just those songs up.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Apple is doomed. Cook should be fired right after this Press Release. Also he should star in the new Apple movie "Boom: Doomed" just to please all the members on the macrumors forums. Yes, indeed.

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Buying from Amazon because of DRM free mp3 format is stupid, when you can buy higher quality DRM free AAC format from the iTunes store.

And at least in the UK, anyone who is a bit organised has a permanent iTunes sale, because you can always find some store selling £25 iTunes gift cards for £20. That's 20 percent off everything.

I really hate when people say that MP3 is worse quality than AAC. At high bitrates (256+) you really cannot tell the difference when listening to a MP3 vs AAC file.

Even with iTunes GC sales, iTunes music is still quite a bit more expensive. Amazon MP3 is great.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
One morning an Apple engineer was checking on iTunes stats. He noticed the songs downloaded was rapidly approaching 25 Billion. He gave his boss a call. Hey Eddy he said. We are approaching 25 billion songs downloaded. Wow! Eddy remarked. He was pretty excited and happy. He was just promoted and got a pay raise. "I'll let Tim and Phil know" Eddy said as he hung up the phone.

Tim and Phil were at the Apple cafeteria...

Love it! Didn't even make a deal about with a counter :rolleyes:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Billions and Billions Served

You can tell that this is high quality stuff by the numbers involved. Nobody can serve Billions and Billions unless the product is top quality.

The sound quality of iTunes MP3s exceeds all other sources of audio - the people have voted with their pocketbooks.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

I'm not convinced that you have enough data points to make those sorts of conclusions. Both of the facts you cite could be true, and it could still be true that sales are not accelerating. Indeed, over relevant time periods, they could be decelerating, flat, or even falling.

I don't know the reality, but data from 5 months ago and now is too little data to identify any trends whatsoever.

----------

I still like to own music and have it to keep permanently--so I look for their $5 and under specials and do buy those that I want.

What format do you buy the music in?

ebow

macrumors 6502a
I'm not convinced that you have enough data points to make those sorts of conclusions. Both of the facts you cite could be true, and it could still be true that sales are not accelerating. Indeed, over relevant time periods, they could be decelerating, flat, or even falling.

I don't know the reality, but data from 5 months ago and now is too little data to identify any trends whatsoever.

Did you miss the 30 data points I posted about 8 posts up?

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Thank Steve for saving the music industry. It was getting to a point 10 years ago that artists were only making money from concerts if they were well know enough to draw a crowd. Pirates were turning off a lot of good talent because is was near impossible to make it a new artist. People simply didn't want to pay a fortune for a CD.

Setting a compromise price much lower than paying for a hard copy CD did the trick. Users no longer had to pay 50% of the purchase price to Target or Walmart, plus the 40% to the CD manufacturers and distributors. Apple does it all for them for only 30%, leaving 70% instead of 10% for the producers and artists. Price per song is less, but the artists and producers still make a lot more. Everyone wins (except Walmart & Target, but I think they're doing OK anyway).

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I like having the Amazon option, but Apple's choice of MP4 (AAC) format gives better quality and also has NO DRM. At the dawn of the iTunes Store the music labels required DRM (Fairplay) and iTunes video still has it. But Apple fought for DRM-free music and ultimately we got it.

There is no DRM, and for similar bitrates, AAC is better sounding than MP3 (which ain't saying much).

BUT:

These files mostly adhere to the AAC standard and are playable on many non-Apple products but they do include custom iTunes information such as album artwork and a purchase receipt, so as to identify the customer in case the file is leaked out onto peer-to-peer networks.

SO:

Screw Apple. Screw the iStore.

I will not buy mediocre sounding files that are infested with unwelcome personally identifying information. I see no reason to use anything but FLAC at this point.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Screw Apple. Screw the iStore.

I will not buy mediocre sounding files that are infested with unwelcome personally identifying information. I see no reason to use anything but FLAC at this point.

I find it intriguing when people brag about being a thief.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.