Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
It's a trademark not a patent.

they don't "have" to make a phone.

You do have to actually use the trademark in order to turn it from TM to R (Registered).

But it looks like they've done so if they've produced the phone in the picture.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
What he said: "We're open to a dialogue for anything, anytime ..."

What he meant: "We can't sell any of our iPhone rip-offs. Please give us some money."

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Well dude,I understand you are a Brazilian and adrenaline runs high in your blood,but I don't know what you are talking here of the economy,if you will do a little research,it's the US economy which is doing far better than the Brazilian economy in the last year (2012),Brazil's GDP growth has come down crashing (1%)-for more reference check yourself -- http://www.economist.com/news/americas/21569706-more-inflation-less-growth-wrong-numbers

Surely this post is racist?

----------

Except Brazil has the highest cell phone ownership per-capita than any other country.

I actually read that the highest cell phone ownership per capita was in the Republic of Ireland?

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for all the advice on how to proceed with this and your legal input. I'm sure Apple execs have been reading and appreciate it all.

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
What he said: "We're open to a dialogue for anything, anytime ..."

What he meant: "We can't sell any of our iPhone rip-offs. Please give us some money."

at what point have they ripped of the iphone? please enlighten us

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Nothing new here.
Gradiente was after easy money anyway. They are a dying company and was never planning to make a phone in the first place.

No way. They made a lot of dumbphones in the Nokia golden years. After that, around 2005, they entered in a concordat which has just finished so it's natural that they'll do something with the brands they had - legally - registered.

----------

Brazil is not one of those countries.

Neither US or UK. Perhaps in Bhutan.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
And no, Gradiente is not just an IP troll - they have been in business for more than 30 years now, and used to produce some really good higher-end audio systems.

I had a dual tape-deck from Gradiente in the 90's, really nice, with a lot of inputs and outputs, noise reduction mechanisms, etc. A bit less expensive and as good as Sony decks of the time. Sadly, Gradiente profits couldn't grow as fast as the market claimed, so it went into bankruptcy in mid 2000s.

Also, it made really nice cell phones in late 90s and early 2000s like the Chroma and Strike models (in partnership with Nokia).

http://press.nokia.com/2000/10/20/n...in-brazilian-manufacturing-joint-venture-ngi/

----------

Gradiente is a broken company that for 30 years failed to deliver any technology that is worth buying. They found an opportunity to make some money which they never did. It is sad to be a Brazilian when you see things like this.

If you were brazilian you should know that Gradiente made some pretty decent products until 2000 - remember "Meu Primeiro Gradiente" or "Laser Boy" or a lot of pretty good sound systems paired with Sharp and Sony. No, you're not brazilian.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I wonder how feasible, cost-wise, it would be for Apple to brand the iPhone5 and its packaging differently for Brazil.

For example, say, just use the :apple: symbol instead of the i.

This would make them highly collectible as well (due to their uniqueness), and possibly drive sales even further. :p

Otherwise, Apple is just going to pay up, start selling it, and get on with making the money back in less than 1 quarter....

EDIT: Whoops! Someone beat me to it...

If Apple increase like $30-50 for each phone they sell for paying royalties to Gradiente it won't be a big issue. Basic iPhone costs something like $1200,00 here, it won't be a $50 increase that will impede consumers from buying it. Although naming Apple's iPhone as :apple:Phone would be pretty nice.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
I wonder how feasible, cost-wise, it would be for Apple to brand the iPhone5 and its packaging differently for Brazil.

For example, say, just use the :apple: symbol instead of the i.

This would make them highly collectible as well (due to their uniqueness), and possibly drive sales even further. :p

Otherwise, Apple is just going to pay up, start selling it, and get on with making the money back in less than 1 quarter....

EDIT: Whoops! Someone beat me to it...

Man, I don't know in the rest of the world, but this is illegal here in Brazil. You can't register an image or other odd symbol as part of a trademark's name - though it's ok to do it for the trademark itself.The name must be readable, and although you do recognize :apple: as "Apple", the technology company, it could also be interpreted as "apple", fruits, for instance.

Now back to the topic. Gradiente is indeed a company in trouble. In the 90's and early 2000's it was an important player here in Brazil that, as many others, simply failed to adapt to the changing times.

The only reason for them to be releasing that "iphone" of theirs is because their license would expire in the next weeks - you can't just register a trademark and pass it to your grandsons, right? Probably they couldn't strike a deal with Apple before because of the bankrupt process and to force Apple to pay them they release that giant, obsolete Android calculator. This automatically fixes the expiring brand to the product, and they can own it as long as they manufacture more of it.

Still, I'd like to see Apple changing the "iPhone" name here in Brazil, just to see this ridiculous extort attempt going nowhere, but I guess it's far more likely that they will end this up with a deal of some sort...

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
at what point have they ripped of the iphone? please enlighten us

The button-free all-glass interface.

You know, like the original 2007 iPhone. Remember the impact that phone had?
Yeah, it's still the phone everyone else is ripping off.

Oh, and speaking of rip-offs, here's the original Android rip-off of Palm / BlackBerry:

450px-Android_mobile_phone_platform_early_device.jpg

And here's that photo on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Android_mobile_phone_platform_early_device.jpg

Android (even before they were bought by Google) simply copied the best currently-available
smartphones. And that meant copying Palm / BlackBerry. Chiclet keyboard and all.

Of course, the first iPhone obsoleted all that legacy 20th century design-think. So, naturally,
Google immediately began copying iOS' UI and their hardware partners immediately began copying
iPhone's hardware design. Still are.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
They should have just dropped the I in all countries that owned the iPhone name and called it the apple phone. They only have one and it would have been close enough in name. Apple phone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and apple phone 5.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Still with those debunked pictures?

Yup. Any complaints? No?

Well, if you have any problem with the photo or the article, please contact Wikipedia. (Yeah. Right.)
I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have more accurate photos of whatever smartphone
Android / Google originally copied.

white-android-prototype.jpg

androidlive.JPG

Story by Read Write: http://readwrite.com/2008/02/13/android_prototypes

Original photo:

450px-Android_mobile_phone_platform_early_device.jpg

Wikipedia page with photo I originally posted (if you have any legitimate complaints. Lulz.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Android_mobile_phone_platform_early_device.jpg

Last edited:

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.