Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

Is anyone using Google Music Manager w/ Mountain Lion? I really can't get it to work quite right. At first all seemed great, but then some downloads stalled, and now, despite killing and restarting the process, I can't get uploads to get going. Annoying... I want to get my music all sync'd up w/ my Nexus 7!

Anyone else had any issues? I can't find any info about this via the google, but I know Mountain Lion is still really new.

Proxy One

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Im having the same problem, It was working fine under Snow Leopard, then I updated to Mountain Lion and it doesn't upload new music anymore. I downloaded the manager again from google and reinstalled it too and that didnt work either.

Proxy One

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
OK so I did this uninstall and reinstalled it and now it works. Make sure you delete all of the files before reinstalling.

Mac
In the Finder, choose 'Go' > 'Go to Folder'
Type in ~/Library/PreferencePanes and click 'Go'
Locate 'MusicManager.prefPane' and drag it to the Trash
In the Finder, choose 'Go' > 'Applications'
Locate 'Music Manager' and drag it to the Trash
If you'd also like to delete remaining music files associated with Google Play, please follow the instructions below:

In the Finder, choose 'Go' > 'Go to Folder'
Type in ~/Library/Application Support/Google and click Go.
Locate the MusicManager folder and drag it to the Trash.
Choose 'Go' > 'Go to Folder'
Type in ~/Library/Preferences and click Go
Locate the preference file ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.musicmanager.plist and drag it to the Trash

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
This is not working at all on Mountain Lion despite the above instructions.

Anyone find another way to get Google Music upload manager to work?

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
It seems to work sporadically for me. It doesn't report accurately the number of songs that were uploaded, but it looks like 100% of my songs are on google music. I wonder if they're working on a larger update that will include the music matching.

rigberg

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Has anyone been able to figure this out? I am running Mountain Lion, I've tried to uninstall and re-install. I can't get anything to work.

I have the same issue, where Music Manager seems to freeze and will not upload songs. When I try to click on the headphone icon in the top menu bar, I get a spinning colored wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZaegiouS

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
I'm having the same issue as the above post. Tried re-installing and opening again; still nothing. :mad:

andruhak

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
solution

It seems as if problem appears only when Music Manager tries to upload music from iTunes. Once I reinstalled Music Manager and have chosen "Other Folder" ( not iTunes) as source of music - it started work as expected and uploaded all 20K songs without any problem. So - solution is: deinstall and reinstall Google Music Manager as recommended here: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1231715
Once it's installed again, go through initial process and choose "other folder" as a source of music for upload as mentioned here:
http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1311216

Worked for me. Good Luck!

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I tried that. My problem is that I don't get the option to set up anything. I start up google music and get this screen. Then nothing happens when I click on the start button.

Attachments

• gp.png
    gp.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 152

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
This happens sometimes, the usual recommendation to fix it so that it uploads your songs again is to:

1. Launch Music Manager and go to the preferences.
2. In the Advanced tab where it says 'Location of my music collection: iTunes' click change.
3. Click continue and then point the app again to your iTunes folder.

It should work fine after that.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Well, my problem is the app won't even launch. When I click the start button nothing happens. The button turns blue but nothing happens at all

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Well, my problem is the app won't even launch. When I click the start button nothing happens. The button turns blue but nothing happens at all

Try launching it via the icon in the Applications folder or go to System Preferences and click on Music Manager.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
No matter where I attempt to launch the app from, nothing happens. From applications folder, nothing. Go into system preferences and I get the above screen shot, but then nothing when I click on "start music manager"

After trying some more, I see that when I click on music manager in the system preferences the screen to select folders and other flashes for about a half second before going to the above screen grab

Last edited:

DrOct

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Has anyone been able to figure this out? I am running Mountain Lion, I've tried to uninstall and re-install. I can't get anything to work.

I have the same issue, where Music Manager seems to freeze and will not upload songs. When I try to click on the headphone icon in the top menu bar, I get a spinning colored wheel.

I'm having the same issue. It actually worked just fine with Mountain Lion for a long time for me but in the past few weeks it'll freeze almost immediately upon starting up (sometimes it'll run for 5 or 10 minutes before freezing). I've tried all of the suggestions from this thread (uninstalling completely, reinstalling, setting it to use a folder, telling it <i>again</i> to us iTunes etc.) and still no dice. This is particularly annoying because I use Google Music at work to listen to my music collection, and not being able to add new songs and such is... irritating.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? Do I just need to wait for an update and pray it works?

Last edited by a moderator:

countryboy24

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Resolved in Google Groups

I wound up posting this in Google Groups and was able to get it resolved. Here is the link to the posting:
http://goo.gl/rNJhu
Terminal has to be used to get it to work correctly, but the steps work.

DrOct

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
I wound up posting this in Google Groups and was able to get it resolved. Here is the link to the posting:
http://goo.gl/rNJhu
Terminal has to be used to get it to work correctly, but the steps work.

Thanks so much! I'll give this a shot when I get home! Is it a permanent (or at least semi-permanent) fix? Or will I have to do this again after I restart or something? Either way I'm happy to do it and VERY grateful for the fix, just want to prepare myself if I'll need to do it over and over.

Thanks again! Hopefully it'll work for me!

----------

Oh now that I look a little further upthread in that google group I see this is a fix to the problem where Music Manage won't even start up properly at all. I'll give it a try anyway and see if it'll fix my issue and report back.

DrOct

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Sadly that did not do it for me. Still getting Music Manager to launch, but it freezes very quickly after that and won't do anything.

DrOct

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Alright I'm still having my issue but I may have made a little bit of progress on finding the source of the problem.

In my searching for info I found this post:

http://www.project107.net/blog/2011/12/google-music-manager-stuck/

I had actually seen it before but had ignored it because that user's issue wasn't exactly the same as mine. But in my desperation to try to get this working again I figured I'd try out this solution anyway.

So what I found was that if I deleted the music manager folder in ~/library/application support/google I could get Music Manager to work again for at least a little while after relaunching it before it freezes again (get a beachball whenever I hover my mouse over the menubar item and all uploading stops). I still have to kill it using Activity Monitor whenever it freezes up.

Sometimes it'll work for 20 minutes or a half hour sometimes a bit shorter. For a while I can get it to get going again by just killing it and then relaunching, but it seems like each time I do that it goes for a bit shorter a time until eventually it's freezing almost immediately after launching again. I can restart everything by trashing the folder again, but it starts over from zero going through my library and figuring out what I've already uploaded.

So my <i>guess</i> is that the database file in that folder may be getting corrupted or something. It seems like it's definitely related to that file but I'm not quite sure what the issue is or what if anything I can do about it.

DrOct

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
So just as a quick update (not a final update) but it looks like the issue may have been resolved. On a whim I checked to see if a new version of Music Manager had been released and it had (I had 1.0.55 or something and the new version is 1.0.60 or something like that). I deleted the old one completely just to be extra cautious, and installed the newer version and _so far_ (I was only able to get it installed and started this morning before heading off to work) it looks like it's working!

I'll of course have to see what situation it's in when I get home but it seems to have uploaded everything I've added to my library since I started having this issue. But if my hunch is correct the new version may solve the issue. I'll update when I get home on whether it's frozen up in the time I was at work or not.

I guess maybe the fact the it kept freezing meant music manager never got itself updated?

DrOct

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Good news! I'm at home now and it looks like Music Manager is still running smoothly. It would appear that the new version fixed the problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.