Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BKF

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
6.1 has been eating through my data plan and battery life ever since I had it installed. Anyone else? I hope for relief with 6.1.1.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
if apple knew which holes (plenty) evasion uses, maybe, but I highly doubt that.

Actually now that evasion is released it is very easy for Apply to look at how it exploits iOS. Sure, the team may have other exploits waiting in the wings, but everything used in this release is now known to Apple.
Also, it's not about Jailbreaking, so much as it is plugging a known security hole that is actively being exploited. Leaving this un-patched would offer a significant vulnerability that could be used maliciously. These vulnerabilities are serious and that is why most exploits used to JB a phone have been patchable via Cydia even before Apple officially releases an update.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
any new features? i dont know if i should test the beta or stay with my jailbroken device

Stay jailbroken until iOS 7 comes out. Even then think long and hard about the benefits of a jailbroken device vs minor improvements in the iOS.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
The first on the road to another lackluster update.

Why would a 6.1.x maintenance release have anything to do with the next OS release?

Also to those in the thread, not sure what on earth you are expecting from a maintenance release. Complete UI overhaul I suppose.

I'm sure I will see the same people on here complaining when 6.1.2 comes out because you're still butt hurt about iOS 6 for some reason and just want to whine

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I hope Safari gets snappier.
:D:apple:

It's good to repeat that joke.

Lucky thing it's still hysterical.

:rolleyes:

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Let's hope Apple did not patch the exploits on this one. I would hate to have to restore my phone and lose the jailbreak.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Until I see "Added built in public transit directions", I'll stick to Google Maps. Sad really, because I prefer the Apple Maps interface.

That's on the list...

Or at least it is for Japanese users. Is it coming to the states (or at least Boston,) too?

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Actually now that evasion is released it is very easy for Apply to look at how it exploits iOS. Sure, the team may have other exploits waiting in the wings, but everything used in this release is now known to Apple.
Also, it's not about Jailbreaking, so much as it is plugging a known security hole that is actively being exploited. Leaving this un-patched would offer a significant vulnerability that could be used maliciously. These vulnerabilities are serious and that is why most exploits used to JB a phone have been patchable via Cydia even before Apple officially releases an update.

You forgot, 99.9% people jailbreaking have no idea that it works because of a security exploit. Details details

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well i used betas before so i know what i get myself into. not a big deal

People like you are the reason why Apple has strong control over their betas. Also, the reason why the iPhone section is later clogged with "OMGZ I updated to a beta and I AM NO developer!! PLZZZ HELP"

No offense, but like I said, if you are not a developer, you shouldnt even be considering putting a beta in there.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Pass! LOL

I let my dev account expire anyway. I'll renew when I get time to learn Objective C and time to build something. I started and really enjoyed it but my three kids and full time work keep me to busy. :(

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Is Apple actively trying to destroy their "tinkerer" userbase?

Jailbreaks utilize exploits, albeit for a pure intention, but those same exploits could be exploited by those with tainted intentions to craft viruses. Thus, it's in Apple's interest to make sure the exploits are patched as quickly as possible.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
That is what happens when the hackers announce they will release jailbreak when apple release 6.1.
Apple understood it and kept most features for 6.1.1 or 6.2 who knows :D

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
BTW, evasi0n fails immediately vs 6.1.1, with a version check failure message:

"Sorry, the version of iOS of the attached device is not supported."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.