Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Hi, anybody taken delivery of their new 27' iMac with this configuration? If so how is it going? Not interested in any price discussion or if it was worth. Just your user experience.:)

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Hi, anybody taken delivery of their new 27' iMac with this configuration? If so how is it going? Not interested in any price discussion or if it was worth. Just your user experience.:)

you do realize the numerous delivery threads right?

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
I think the point he's trying to get across is that people have yet to receive 27" iMacs with that configuration. To be fair, the shortages are pretty insane.

Okay sorry didn't get that. I guess I'll just have wait:confused:

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
I remember when the rMBP's came out, there was quite a delay on the ones that ordered the 768GB option. But this seems QUITE a bit longer than that. Was the 768 option available from day 1 on the BTO?

Vuddha

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Okay sorry didn't get that. I guess I'll just have wait:confused:

Well I have had 2 so far and I am I just got my third First - Jan 3, Second- Jan 16 Third - Feb 5: Build
27" IMAC

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
Replaced with Crucial 32GB

768GB Flash Storage

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
From China

I received it on Jan 3 and called the Bubble problem in on Jan 4
I mailed the IMAC back - at their expense
Received the replacement Jan 16 checked it out. It looked good. after a couple of days I noticed the bubbles again. Even in the Black around the screen. I can use your finger nail and could push it out, I only did one to see if it would do it.
I am wondering if:
1. The 21" are having the same problem?
2. If it is only the 27" is it from one factory?
3. Is it only the custom ones?
4. Will it get worst with time?
5. If you push out the bubble will it come back?

I returned the Second IMAC I received with the same Bubble problem as the first. Maybe the third is the charm? I went to the Apple Store with my second one to show them the Bubbles before I shipped it out. The Tech took a soft cloth and rubbed the bubbles out then proceeded to ignore that problem and talk about the second problem I was having Which was having a 2Big Quadra USB 3.0 6T Raid external drive that drops out of the Finder when the computer goes to sleep which I had to restart the computer to get it back on the finder. Also I was getting auto restarts and Panic reports on the computer. I told him that my concern was the bubble coming back over and over again. he kind of didn't reply to that saying that I was going to replace it so that should clear the issues.

But the Computer was super fast and quite. I hope the Panic reports were not from the SSD? We'll se how the Third one is.
I hope you guys have better luck than I did.

Nimravus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
2tb flash drives are now out there. How can 768 GB be BACKORDERED! I thought Tim Cook was a good supply chain guy geez. It's now Feb... That's a fail.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Very happy with my iMac with 768GB SSD. I have had it since late December.

It runs fast, cool, and quiet. I have it partitioned for 500GB OS X and 250GB Windows for games. It fits my needs perfectly ... all SSD ... all the way.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
NZ

It runs fast, cool, and quiet. I have it partitioned for 500GB OS X and 250GB Windows for games. It fits my needs perfectly ... all SSD ... all the way.

Cool, thanks for this .............just what I want to read.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
I've got the 768 SSD and couldn't be happier.

It's hard for me to quantify the speed with examples that might relate to you as our uses of the machine would be different but all I can tell you is it's fast and quiet. Chucking multiple large files camera RAW and TIFF files around (36mp images - which can be 200mb plus) is a breeze and it handles them like they're 2mb file sizes. Viewing my photo library in View NX, I can shuffle through the photos as fast as I want, zoom in to 100% and the preview is full res instantly etc etc. Of course that's not all just down to the SSD though but it certainly helps when working on files in Photoshop etc.

Importing files is very speedy too, which can be in batches ranging from under to 1gb to 50gb at a time.

Last edited:

michaelmac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006

Almost the same here (180Gb for Windows) and I tried the Windows benchmark on mine (which goes up to 7.9) and it nearly maxed out on the benchmark scores!

Added 32Gb (Crucial) RAM to mine too.

Fantastic machine and love using. Apps open, mainly, without much of a bounce!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Almost the same here (180Gb for Windows) and I tried the Windows benchmark on mine (which goes up to 7.9) and it nearly maxed out on the benchmark scores!

Added 32Gb (Crucial) RAM to mine too.

Fantastic machine and love using. Apps open, mainly, without much of a bounce!

Yeah ... I added 32GB of Crucial RAM to mine as well.

I simply divided my SSD space into conventional sizes of available drives. My main concern was that my entire 300GB Aperture library (with room for growth) be totally on a SSD. It certainly has a nice "snap" to it when working with large RAW photo files.

I wanted to preserve the AppleCare on this Mac by not opening or modding anything that would be a potential risk for obtaining coverage, even though I am well qualified to work inside the computer. The Apple Care policy is pretty cheap on this fully optioned iMac model and of course, covers the SSD fully as well.

And ... it is so quiet! :) :cool:

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
There's an entire huge, multi-page thread about the "SSD owners" club or somesuch, next time try doing a search.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
There's an entire huge, multi-page thread about the "SSD owners" club or somesuch, next time try doing a search.

Ummm already did..... couldn't find what I wanted. Also, not particularly interested in SSDs generically. As I have said I would like to read the experience folks have with the 768GB Flash option in their 27" iMacs.

Also thanks to all of you that have responded with your experiences/feelings.
It does read that this machine is something to fall in love with.....just waiting to get mine:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.