Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
People like you are the reason why Apple has strong control over their betas. Also, the reason why the iPhone section is later clogged with "OMGZ I updated to a beta and I AM NO developer!! PLZZZ HELP"

No offense, but like I said, if you are not a developer, you shouldnt even be considering putting a beta in there.

Well like i said before. I Know what i get myself into when i install the betas. No need to worry about me. The people you mentioned that say and i quote "OMGZ I updated to a beta and I AM NO developer!! PLZZZ HELP" is because they dont know what they are doing. If you dont know what you are doing then yes you should stay away from the betas.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Apple absolutely needs to address and fix wifi issues...at least w/iphone5. I'm tired of going out of town and not always being able to connect and stay connected, or sometimes connect at all! These are places I connected with just fine before iOS 6 (previous iPhone). This should be a RELIABLE, BASIC function of the iPhone!

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Gotta love apple

This they manage to roll out fast to stop jailbreaking, but anything else feature wise for actual use just keep waiting... Sigh i miss Steve Jobs...

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
The big question, does this patch Evasi0n's exploits?

I'd think the turnaround time from exploit release to patch is rather small, at least with this release. However beta 2 or 3 would get the patch maybe?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well like i said before. I Know what i get myself into when i install the betas. No need to worry about me. The people you mentioned that say and i quote "OMGZ I updated to a beta and I AM NO developer!! PLZZZ HELP" is because they dont know what they are doing. If you dont know what you are doing then yes you should stay away from the betas.

Like I said, all non developers should not touch betas, regardless if they know what they are doing or not.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I bet 6.1.1 does patch the exploits because Apple could have included all these map fixes with 6.1 that was just released few days ago. They could have just waited few more days to release it all at once. The "map fixes" are just for public knowledge.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Let's hope Apple did not patch the exploits on this one. I would hate to have to restore my phone and lose the jailbreak.

So since your jailbroken it's easy to restore to 6.1 forever. Just save the SHSH file with TinyUmbrella (Cydia does for you as well automatically)

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I miss when updates were interesting/fun. I didn't think I could be less interested in iOS than I was when iOS 5 came out but here we are...with the even less exciting or noteworthy iOS 6.

BLAH

Then jailbreak. iOS just got massively more interesting.

And no, it's not for pirating stuff, its for letting my phone, a 5, live up to its potential. Zephyr,Auxo,Activator,NCsettings,Springtomize, f.lux FTW!

I believe if you jailbreak for piracy, and you don't want to spare a few quid/dollars for apps here and there....you need to have a long hard look at yourself.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
So since your jailbroken it's easy to restore to 6.1 forever. Just save the SHSH file with TinyUmbrella (Cydia does for you as well automatically)

Well, the thing is, downgrade process does not work for iPhone 5 (I don't think it works for 4S either) yet.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Being that I'm in America, I don't care about this update. And yes, the world does revolve around us. Muahahah

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Like I said, all non developers should not touch betas, regardless if they know what they are doing or not.

What's the point of posting this? No one cares. You're on a forum full of tinkerers and Apple fanboys. It isn't remotely surprising to see people installing betas.

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
I bet 6.1.1 does patch the exploits because Apple could have included all these map fixes with 6.1 that was just released few days ago. They could have just waited few more days to release it all at once. The "map fixes" are just for public knowledge.

You're displaying your ignorance for the world to see. You know that, right?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
What's the point of posting this? No one cares. You're on a forum full of tinkerers and Apple fanboys. It isn't remotely surprising to see people installing betas.

These people are the ones later screaming at the top of their lungs how the new OS versions sucks because the BETA they installed keeps crashing. Not only that, but these are the people who cry when the BETA OS they weren't supposed to have expired or went out taking out their data.

Saves us (and everyone) headaches if those non-devs can stick to the public releases.

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
That is what happens when the hackers announce they will release jailbreak when apple release 6.1.
Apple understood it and kept most features for 6.1.1 or 6.2 who knows :D

This they manage to roll out fast to stop jailbreaking, but anything else feature wise for actual use just keep waiting... Sigh i miss Steve Jobs...

As if a company like Apple is really gonna stall features, losing customers by making other platforms more attractive from a feature perspective, just so they can piss off some jailbreakers.

Where do all you paranoid people come from?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
That is what happens when the hackers announce they will release jailbreak when apple release 6.1.
Apple understood it and kept most features for 6.1.1 or 6.2 who knows :D

New features really shouldn't be in .x or .x.x updates. These should be used for bug fixes and security patches.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Well, the thing is, downgrade process does not work for iPhone 5 (I don't think it works for 4S either) yet.

Why would you need to downgrade? Everyone should know that you never ever allow an update after a jailbreak. Additionally, the over the air update doesn't work on jailbroken devices so if you update it's your fault.. :)

And yes downgrade works fine to go back to 5.1.1 with RedSn0W on a 4s

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I actually had kind of a conspiracy theory that 6.1.1 would be a bigger update than 6.1, Apple knowing the JB team was on the heels of a 6.0/6.1 Jailbreak, though could wait to introduce a bunch of new features when they have patched the holes, making us choose between new features, or a jailbreak! Looks like that's not happening this time around.

Oh well, time for a new update, and within a couple weeks, more people whining "Jailbreaking is dead" because they won't have overnight Jailbreak releases...

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why would you need to downgrade? Everyone should know that you never ever allow an update after a jailbreak. Additionally, the over the air update doesn't work on jailbroken devices so if you update it's your fault.. :)

And yes downgrade works fine to go back to 5.1.1 with RedSn0W on a 4s

Yeah, people seem so obsessed with SHSH and all this.. when all you have to do to keep your jailbreak is not update. With iTunes. Which requires a cable and multiple clicks to do; you can't do it by accident.

The only time you might want to downgrade to jailbreak is on a new device.. And you CAN'T because SHSH is specific to the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.