Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
It would be great if Apple updated their stock apps (Maps, Siri, Passbook) through App Store updates like Google does.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Why would you need to downgrade? Everyone should know that you never ever allow an update after a jailbreak. Additionally, the over the air update doesn't work on jailbroken devices so if you update it's your fault.. :)

And yes downgrade works fine to go back to 5.1.1 with RedSn0W on a 4s

I don't need to "downgrade". I should have chosen a better term. If a tweak messes up my phone and I need to restore, I won't be able to restore to 6.1 because Apple would not be signing it after 6.1.1 comes out. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Yeah, people seem so obsessed with SHSH and all this.. when all you have to do to keep your jailbreak is not update. With iTunes. Which requires a cable and multiple clicks to do; you can't do it by accident.

The only time you might want to downgrade to jailbreak is on a new device.. And you CAN'T because SHSH is specific to the device.

Please see my response above.

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I don't need to "downgrade". If a tweak messes up my phone and I need to restore, I won't be able to restore to 6.1 because Apple would not be signing it after 6.1.1 comes out. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
Yea, hopefully they update redsn0w and allow re-restores to 6.1, like they did with 5.1.1

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Another iOS update, annnnnnd 10.8.3 is STILL not out. mdworker still has its way with my Mac Pro day and night.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
apple are turds, denying their users the choice of jailbreaking their devices, I'm not saying they shouldn't patch bugs but not they clearly seem bitter and arrogant this time around their native iOS is a trasvestie

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Re: conspiracy theories, absolutely nothing that ever gets put into a .1 update could possibly compare to the benefits of jailbreak, sheesh.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I don't need to "downgrade". I should have chosen a better term. If a tweak messes up my phone and I need to restore, I won't be able to restore to 6.1 because Apple would not be signing it after 6.1.1 comes out. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Please see my response above.

Check Big Boss. There is a feautre that will let you disable a Cydia app that causes stability issues -- I can't remember where I read that yesterday. I think it's Big Boss... yes it was: http://thebigboss.org/ios6-jailbreak-safety-and-protection

"3) If you have any problems booting your device at any time, remember you can boot by holding volume up button while booting in order to enter a safe mode where you can then get into cydia and uninstall stuff causing your problems. The volume up reboot should allow you to get into the device protecting you from just about anything that can go wrong in cydia so you don’t have to restore your device."

And you can always install 6.1 using custom restore and the SHSH pulled down from Cydia.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I wish apple would release an update to fix the podcasts app (by removing it entirely and replacing it back into the music player!)

Or, god forbid!, allow both as with iOS 5. I liked wirelessly downloading them and then making playlists for long drives, etc. My biggest gripe with the app right now is that it doesn't auto delete like its supposed to. That and no playlist option.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Check Big Boss. There is a feautre that will let you disable a Cydia app that causes stability issues -- I can't remember where I read that yesterday. I think it's Big Boss... yes it was: http://thebigboss.org/ios6-jailbreak-safety-and-protection

"3) If you have any problems booting your device at any time, remember you can boot by holding volume up button while booting in order to enter a safe mode where you can then get into cydia and uninstall stuff causing your problems. The volume up reboot should allow you to get into the device protecting you from just about anything that can go wrong in cydia so you don’t have to restore your device."

And you can always install 6.1 using custom restore and the SHSH pulled down from Cydia.

Ahhh, thank you sir! I did not know about the "volume up" trick. Phew! :)

discuit

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Actually now that evasion is released it is very easy for Apply to look at how it exploits iOS. Sure, the team may have other exploits waiting in the wings, but everything used in this release is now known to Apple.
Also, it's not about Jailbreaking, so much as it is plugging a known security hole that is actively being exploited. Leaving this un-patched would offer a significant vulnerability that could be used maliciously. These vulnerabilities are serious and that is why most exploits used to JB a phone have been patchable via Cydia even before Apple officially releases an update.

Apple prioritizes fixes for exploits based on how serious they are. The exploit sequence used in evasi0n requires- 1. physical access to the device to plug it in. 2. disabled passcode 3. user intention. Therefore it is not urgent for Apple to fix this immediately, though they are certainly working on it.

Contrast this with previous exploits like libtiff and jailbreakme.com- those were extremely serious because they could be triggered just by visiting a malicious website, without user intent. A fix was released very soon because of how dangerous this situation was.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I really dont use the jailbreak. i only jailbroke because of NCSettings to be honest.

Same here. I don't get all this excitment about jailbreak! I jailbroke mine and it's clearly not the same after that. Battery indicater does not show corrctly, drops like 10% each time, it's noticably slower, winterboard crashes!! I mean wtf? Isn't this the reason we like Apple products? So we don't have to cope with that crap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.