Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypotc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Hi folks.

I'm going to add some emulators on my iPhone, and I was wondering which ones simply are the best. I've seen several emulators for each system, and since some of them are paid apps I don't want to buy&try.

Do you have any positive/negative experiences with any emulators?

I've tried Snes9x which works great, and I also tried buying gpSphone (GBA emulator), but it only says "Recheck" at the top.

Shoot!

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
We have these threads , multiple times , everyday.

gba.emu is found to be the best emulator for the iPhone. For it's purposes of coarse.

hypotc

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
I didn't find a thread for discussion around all emulators, I only found some for specific emulators. That's why I created this thread.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Robert Broglia's emulators are all amazing and highly recommended. He is constantly adding features and improving their performance :)

- Snes9x Ex (Free)
- GBA.emu ($5)
- GBC.emu ($5)
- NES.emu ($6)

Make sure to support this developer by purchasing (not pirating). These are more than worth it for the polish these have. For example, you can not only use a bluetooth wiimote / icade / icontrolpad with these emulators to play your games, but you can also set which key presses do what. Other emulators don't have this key feature.

Zodttd stuff is trash and he abandoned them a long time ago. Don't trust his stuff for any future updates or improvements.

Exactly, Robert Broglia's are the only ones worth getting. Nothing more needs to be said really.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Robert Broglia's emulators are all amazing and highly recommended. He is constantly adding features and improving their performance :)

- Snes9x Ex
- GBA.emu
- GBC.emu
- NES.emu

Its like $10 for 4 different emulation systems. More than worth it for the polish these have. For example, you can not only use a bluetooth wiimote / icade / icontrolpad with these emulators to play your games, but you can also set which key presses do what. Other emulators don't have this key feature.

Zodttd stuff is trash and he abandoned them a long time ago. Don't trust his stuff for any future updates or improvements.

Exactly, Robert Broglia's are the only ones worth getting. Nothing more needs to be said really.

Besides GBA.emu supports gbc's as well so I don't really see why you're getting GBC.emu , really.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
GBA.emu supports gbc's as well

No it doesn't.

If you want to play old school Game Boy / Game Boy Color games then you need to use GBC.emu (not GBA.emu)

I just tried to load both Metroid 2: Return of Samus and Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening on GBA.emu and it doesn't work.

Of course this information is told to you right on the cydia page of GBA.emu as well...

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
No it doesn't.

If you want to play old school Game Boy / Game Boy Color games then you need to use GBC.emu (not GBA.emu)

I just tried to load both Metroid 2: Return of Samus and Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening on GBA.emu and it doesn't work.

Of course this information is told to you right on the cydia page of GBA.emu as well...

I read the opposite. Have you tried the Pokemon packages? GBC. Oh well... That's sad because in reality GameBoy Advanced supports GBCG.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
You wait a day or two until Cydia has fixed itself and purchase it then.

Just to add here:

this will never be available for PayPal purchases. PayPal has a problem in the license agreement with emulators like this. So it will prolly never come up.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
SNES9x does not have any websites which allow Link To The Past to be downloaded (or anything else I wanted :/)

Koalazub

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
iFile would have to be the best way to cut the computer out of the equation. $4 very well spent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.