Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
What do you guys think of Google Fiber? It's apparently an ISP service they're starting up. News sources are saying it's 10x as fast as current broadband networks. Someone I was talking to about it said it's $70 a month for 1gb/s speeds.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
If it was available in my area I would jump on it in a heartbeat! I couldn't imagine what having a 1 gb/s ISP would be like.

Hopefully they can get it started in my area soon since I live about 5 miles away from 2 huge data centers!:D

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I've been waiting for Verizon Fios for about 15 year, since I first heard of it. I remember seeing the Verizon guy putting up fiber then, around my area and I asked him what it was about. He told me it should be available soon. 15 years later, I am still waiting. I guess Time Warner is probably paying the cities to keep it out?

I think Google Fiber will be on my street before Verizon.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
......I think Google Fiber will be on my street before Verizon.

And you'll have moved long before either get there!

It seems Verizon has all but stopped expanding their FIOS system to the residential market due to the high cost of building the network. (WIRED article) and Google hasn't announced any plans to expand beyond the the KC market.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY

Most likely, all depends on what I find for work.

It seems Verizon has all but stopped expanding their FIOS system to the residential market due to the high cost of building the network. (WIRED article) and Google hasn't announced any plans to expand beyond the the KC market.

Thanks, this is interesting, thanks for the link.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA

They're starting orders for Missouri.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
How does it go with milk? Google Fiber sounds like something I would find in the breakfast isle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.