Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Is it really terrible important with internal 3.5" bays in Mac Pro that wastes space that could be used for PCI slots, more RAM slots, and other I/O related stuff, shouldnt a Mac Pro be 100% focused on performance now that there is so many storage solutions available?

3.5" drives are bigger and generally faster than laptop ones, SSD aside.

If you've seen inside the current Pro the HDD's hardly waste space and there it already more than enough room for the PCI slots.

Any new Pro will be much faster and expandable than the current one and needs to be to set it apart from the top iMac's with i7 and Fusion.

Ironclaw27

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Ah right, you mean a US Spring release, that's much sooner then. Google tells me that's a March release which makes sense given the thunderbolt display needs to be updated too so it's likely to launch both at the same time.

It'll have 2 or 4 thunderbolt outputs so you can finally connect the TBD as well as hdmi/dvi. SSD's will be an option (read expensive) and all the other high-spec pc components. Will it have a redesigned enclosure? I doubt it given it's such a great design already. It may have tinted black aluminium like the ipad mini.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I dont have any Mac Pro and i dont work in an environment that uses any Mac Pros so i have very little knownledge of how people uses their Mac Pro, with that said, i really want go get my hands on a new Mac Pro in 2013 but contrary to what i have seen on other wishlists, the only internal "storage" i would like to see is just 2,5" drives, enough to put 4 or 6 of them into the Mac Pro.

As for the 3.5", you guys that have wished for this, do you really need it internally in the Mac Pro? Doesnt any storage array work in your environment, like Drobo, Synology, Pegasus thunderbolt arrays, WD have some TB enclosures too, you could build your own storage array with FreeNAS, 14TB for less than 800USD or in a more professional environment: Equallogic or other SAN:s.

Is it really terrible important with internal 3.5" bays in Mac Pro that wastes space that could be used for PCI slots, more RAM slots, and other I/O related stuff, shouldnt a Mac Pro be 100% focused on performance now that there is so many storage solutions available?

I had a Drobo but sold it and went back to larger internal drives. The advantages are speed, less noise and less physical space.

Even then fastest 7200 rpm 4TB drives are relatively slow when copying terabytes of data and until we can buy multiple TB Solid state drives that is always going to be an issue.

As well as the physical extra space required external exclosures have their own fans, power supplies etc. They do makes sense for some tasks but having as much storage as possible in the actual case directly connected to the main board has many advantages.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Let us please not see a thin Mac Pro with proprietary hardware and give up upgradeablity. PLEASE!!!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
There is little need for Apple to keep secrecy surround the Mac Pro. If businesses need one , they'll buy it now.

Consumers may wait - but I expect they are holding off at the moment.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Other workstations fit them along with the rest of the aforementioned parts. I guess you could fit more pci slots in the dual socket versions. The single doesn't really have the extra lanes to allocate. You said $800. You could spend that much on hard drives alone. What would you use for a JBOD box + HBA?

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
To be honest, I'm more interested in how Apple will market this product. It may well be their opportunity to place the Mac Pro beside the Mac Mini, for as has been the case for some time now, many customers have racked Mac Mini's due to their compact nature. If Apple produced an accessible computer with a similar form factor (albeit larger of course), they'd have good reason to put the Mini and Pro side-by-side, with the iMac rightly as an all together different product. It makes sense to separate two desktop machines from an all-in-one package.

Let's not forget too that the existing Mac Pro, although a marvellous piece of engineering, was designed in the G5 era when chipsets would practically burn a hole through the ozone layer! These days they are much more efficient, as are no-doubt any new cooling processes Apple could use for their CPU's. I for one would welcome a flatbed design with a removal hood.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Wow what a shocker a MacBook Pro refresh in April. I should of waited to buy MacBook Pro this year, retina display, wirless ac chip for faster wifi, new intel chip is suppose be a lot better for battery life.

Wow, what a shocker. Someone again confused the MAC PRO forum for the Macbook Pro forum.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
3.5" drives are bigger and generally faster than laptop ones, SSD aside.

If you've seen inside the current Pro the HDD's hardly waste space and there it already more than enough room for the PCI slots.

Any new Pro will be much faster and expandable than the current one and needs to be to set it apart from the top iMac's with i7 and Fusion.

The PowerMac's and Mac Pro's are beautifully designed. They make the most of the space, are extremely easy to open, remove drives and PCIe cards, even the processor(s) and RAM board slides right out. I've built many towers and even hackint0shes, but I have to give it to Ive, the Mac Pro is a very well thought out design, from the aluminum case to the interior guts. I'm curious as to how they could improve on the industrial design.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
The PowerMac's and Mac Pro's are beautifully designed. They make the most of the space, are extremely easy to open, remove drives and PCIe cards, even the processor(s) and RAM board slides right out. I've built many towers and even hackint0shes, but I have to give it to Ive, the Mac Pro is a very well thought out design, from the aluminum case to the interior guts. I'm curious as to how they could improve on the industrial design.

+1.

I would be thoroughly satisfied with the same external appearance with upgraded mobo / CPU / GPU / I/O inside. Thunderbolt is not terribly important (at least not yet), but USB 3 eSATA and GPU options (that dont suck) are to me.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden

Ofcourse i have seen inside the current MP and thats why i have to disagree with PCI statement, the current MP have very little room for its PCI slots, especially compared with other workstations from HP and Dell, even their older generations have alot more PCI slots than the Mac Pro. The current one only have 4, its very limited.

Put 2 dual slot GPU:s in the Mac Pro and you are left with 1 PCI slot, what if you want a render card from RED and a 10Gig NIC? Then you are screwed with the current gen MP, and what if you want a RAID card too, maybe an eSATA card too, then it gets even worse.

Sure, for most of the buyers the PCI slot is probably ok but there is alot of people that want to fit more cards than the current MP can handle so no, 4 PCI slots and even 4 is very tight, i can hardly call that "more than enough room"

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I dont have any Mac Pro and i dont work in an environment that uses any Mac Pros so i have very little knownledge of how people uses their Mac Pro, with that said, i really want go get my hands on a new Mac Pro in 2013 but contrary to what i have seen on other wishlists, the only internal "storage" i would like to see is just 2,5" drives, enough to put 4 or 6 of them into the Mac Pro.

As for the 3.5", you guys that have wished for this, do you really need it internally in the Mac Pro? Doesnt any storage array work in your environment, like Drobo, Synology, Pegasus thunderbolt arrays, WD have some TB enclosures too, you could build your own storage array with FreeNAS, 14TB for less than 800USD or in a more professional environment: Equallogic or other SAN:s.

IME it is more common for users to put in additional storage than to add in cards. Of all the Mac Pro users I interact with, the only ones I know that have any expansion cards (beyond video cards) are the 6 Mac Pros we bought at my job to handle intensive graphics work. They are connected by fiber to a dedicated SAN, requiring a pretty big fibre NIC.

Speaking of, I expect the optical audio ports to go away on the next Mac Pro.
I've never seen anyone use them. Not even for the heck of it.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
The fact that people are still complaining... I was expecting some peace around these parts now that this was *sort of* confirmed.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I'm curious as to how they could improve on the industrial design.

I get optical interference patterns when looking at the array of small holes on the front of a Mac Pro, which I find it very uncomfortable. So I can see one thing I would like improved, but that might be just me.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
I get optical interference patterns when looking at the array of small holes on the front of a Mac Pro, which I find it very uncomfortable. So I can see one thing I would like improved, but that might be just me.

Do like everybody else, and hide the box? :eek:

Really, the only thing you have to get to on a semi-regular basis is the optical drive. When my machines go down for upgrades, the whole thing gets pulled out and cleaned anyway.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Speaking of, I expect the optical audio ports to go away on the next Mac Pro.
I've never seen anyone use them. Not even for the heck of it.

Optical out is needed for 5.1 surround including encoded DD and DTS - I have a set of Logitech Z5500 speakers and there is no way I would want to change back to analogue.

The input is useful for some interfaces and effects processor when recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.