Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
Agreed....those tards who are complaining, don't know what the heck they are doing....

DO install useful basic tweaks like Zephyr, Remove Background/Backgrounder to kill apps (Actually improves battery life), Tetherme to gain Personal Hotspot for free *your BOUGHT data shouldnt be restricted), and iFile to use the camera kit and unlimited SD cards for unlimited storage, so you dont have to pay extra $100 per 16 gigs of data:eek:

DON'T install 5 million themes slowing down your memory.
what that last part 'and iFile to use the camera kit and unlimited SD cards for unlimited storage, so you dont have to pay extra $100 per 16 gigs of data"

Unlimited what?

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
Agreed....those tards who are complaining, don't know what the heck they are doing....

DO install useful basic tweaks like Zephyr, Remove Background/Backgrounder to kill apps (Actually improves battery life), Tetherme to gain Personal Hotspot for free *your BOUGHT data shouldnt be restricted), and iFile to use the camera kit and unlimited SD cards for unlimited storage, so you dont have to pay extra $100 per 16 gigs of data:eek:

DON'T install 5 million themes slowing down your memory.

I absolutely LOVE Zephyr, mostly to save wear and tear on the dreaded home button. TetherMe is charging $4.99 now. I purchased MyWi a few years ago, and now the slime bags want ANOTHER $4.99 for an "upgrade" that is supposedly iOS 6 compliant...F 'em. I'll have to give iFile a try...thx.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
this update is stupid.. release a beta/update that only impacts Japan users? i hope there is a beta 2 and it includes something for those in the USA.

jtinch

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Does anyone else's iOS devices still randomly change brightness from medium to all the way up? I have the ambient light sensors turned off.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
1. This looks like a bigger update compared to 6.1.

2. Pattern?

iOS 5.1 - Siri for Japan
iOS 6.1.1 - Improved Maps for Japan

iOS 5.1 was announced in March with the iPad 3 event and its pretty close to March.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
What is this mdworker bug everyone keeps complaining about.

mdworker is what OS X uses to index your drive. Mountain Lion on some systems makes Spotlight constantly re-index your drive and causes other issues. Open up Console.app and if your system.log is being spammed by mdworker messages, you've got the bug. If you don't, count yourself lucky.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Does anyone else's iOS devices still randomly change brightness from medium to all the way up? I have the ambient light sensors turned off.

Did you try restoring it to factory settings? If after that you're still experiencing problems, it may be a hardware issue.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
An expected move by Apple. Those people must be proud over themselves, hunting down jailbreaking like this. Because that's exactly what this is about, a strategic release.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Until I see "Added built in public transit directions", I'll stick to Google Maps. Sad really, because I prefer the Apple Maps interface.
Depends on where you live. In Germany and Switzerland, the Google transit directions are rather useless, almost everybody uses apps developed by the local transit authorities or directly those from the national railways which include all local public transport as well.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008

alec6542

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Wow looks like those guys in the iOS security department are scrambling like crazy to get this thing patched. This is in contrast to the last untethered jailbreak iOS 5.1.1. Apple sat on that one for almost 4 months. I guess they figured that most people just can't help themselves and will update to iOS 6 or get an iPhone 5, which apparently is what happened judging by how the JB cooled off substantially over the last few months. But this, a jailbreak for the iPhone 5, something they were determined to prevent, has really chapped their ass and they are not about to let it slide. Oh well at least I'm set for the next 6 months or so.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
The big question, does this patch Evasi0n's exploits?

The first thing we think about :D

----------

These jokes were old about a decade ago. Please try your joke again.

That's not the joke. People like who you get upset over it are.
I also want Safari to be snappier.

----------

Those complaining about the Jailbreak and slowing down did something wrong. I jailbroke my iPad and my iPhone and just installed 3G Unrestrictor, TetherMe, and Adbock, and my iPhone 5 and my iPad 4 are just as fast as ever. Won't upgrade until I see that jailbreak works with this update.

When you jailbreak, it installs some stuff like MobileSubstrate and MySQL. I'm not sure if that impacts the performance, but I kept feeling like my iPhone was just a tad slower after the jailbreak even without anything from Cydia installed.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Same here. I don't get all this excitment about jailbreak! I jailbroke mine and it's clearly not the same after that. Battery indicater does not show corrctly, drops like 10% each time, it's noticably slower, winterboard crashes!! I mean wtf? Isn't this the reason we like Apple products? So we don't have to cope with that crap?

Did you also carelessly install tons of tweaks?

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
6.1 has been eating through my data plan and battery life ever since I had it installed. Anyone else? I hope for relief with 6.1.1.
Do you have a exchange account(s)? Delete one, reboot and add it back with a different description name. If that does not help, and you have more than one exchange account repeat. One of your exchange accounts is corrupt. Otherwise restore your iphone via iTunes and setup as new phone (do not restore from backup).

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
in this release,

Siri will activates battery with special malfunction to blow your face when you say:

"Safari gets snappier"

Be Careful

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
I don't get all the excitement about a stock OS. I left mine stock for few months and it's clearly not the same after that. Functionalities are limited, OS looks boring, etc. I mean wtf?

In a more polite reply, you may not have any need to jailbreak, but, others do. I jailbreak to improve/add functionalities, not to just theme my device.

To be honest if you didn't want a boring stock IOS then you would've gotten a android phone if customizing is a big issue for you. Just saying.

Inb4 apple fan boys

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
mdworker is what OS X uses to index your drive. Mountain Lion on some systems makes Spotlight constantly re-index your drive and causes other issues. Open up Console.app and if your system.log is being spammed by mdworker messages, you've got the bug. If you don't, count yourself lucky.
Boot into safe mode, then reboot. Worked on my MBP, although it comes back when I update to a new build (in which case, I just boot into safe mode again).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.