Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
from my understanding, if you qualify for the "battery replacement"... you ship your phone out and instead of disassembling the phone to replace the bad battery, they'll just ship you a replacement.

i did this "battery replacement" for my original iphone but they told me it's $149 and they don't have any more 2G iphone replacements so they'll probably gonna send me a 3G or 3GS.

JrsyGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
from my understanding, if you qualify for the "battery replacement"... you ship your phone out and instead of disassembling the phone to replace the bad battery, they'll just ship you a replacement.

i did this "battery replacement" for my original iphone but they told me it's $149 and they don't have any more 2G iphone replacements so they'll probably gonna send me a 3G or 3GS.

Wow how long ago was this? BTW, on the advice here I posted a another question for the unjailbreak...folks there helped me out, and I believe I am golden for now, in perspective to the JB. Have an appointment at one of the NYC stores today, lets see what they say.

And you guys are my new best friends :) Cheers! :)

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I guess you can get an authorized battery replacement from Apple retail for $79? But does Apple really switch the entire phone out? I thought they replace batteries in store in less than 20 minutes and give you back your phone? Correct me if I am wrong? I thought Apple also can repair the back of the iPhone 4/4S without giving you a completely new phone and charge you less than the full $149/$199 replacement fee?

It depends on the model of iPhone. The Apple Geniuses in the Apple Retail Stores can replace the battery and/or the back glass panel on the iPhone 4/4S. However, for an iPhone 3GS (which is what the OP has) they take your old iPhone and give you a refurbished unit. They then send your old phone off to be refurbished.

I have no idea what repairs (if any) are possible on an iPhone 5 while in the Apple Retail Store.

The last time I checked Apple's Web site regarding out-of-warranty battery replacement, it said it was $79 to replace the battery on an iPhone 3GS.

Apple does have a process where you can ship your iPhone to them for warranty or out of warranty repaid work. However, if you have access to an Apple Retail Store, it is easier just to take you device in to them.

If Apple doesn't have your model in stock, they can order it.

As for charging you $149 versus $79, I would go look around Apple's Web site and find their pricing. It is difficult to find. You have to look around for it. Once you find it however, I would call Apple again and reference them to their own Web site. I think you are being overcharged.

JrsyGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
It depends on the model of iPhone. The Apple Geniuses in the Apple Retail Stores can replace the battery and/or the back glass panel on the iPhone 4/4S. However, for an iPhone 3GS (which is what the OP has) they take your old iPhone and give you a refurbished unit. They then send your old phone off to be refurbished.

I have no idea what repairs (if any) are possible on an iPhone 5 while in the Apple Retail Store.

The last time I checked Apple's Web site regarding out-of-warranty battery replacement, it said it was $79 to replace the battery on an iPhone 3GS.

Apple does have a process where you can ship your iPhone to them for warranty or out of warranty repaid work. However, if you have access to an Apple Retail Store, it is easier just to take you device in to them.

If Apple doesn't have your model in stock, they can order it.

As for charging you $149 versus $79, I would go look around Apple's Web site and find their pricing. It is difficult to find. You have to look around for it. Once you find it however, I would call Apple again and reference them to their own Web site. I think you are being overcharged.

Ok folks...here is the update. They swapped it out for a new one- refurb of course and charged me $49 only. Some one there was telling me he got his OOW rep for free at a difft store. I really did not have the stamina to subway across town again. If it were the summers I prolly would have stooped that level and scooted across to some other store and try my luck :p But for now I am happy as a bee. :eek::apple:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Ok folks...here is the update. They swapped it out for a new one- refurb of course and charged me $49 only. Some one there was telling me he got his OOW rep for free at a difft store. I really did not have the stamina to subway across town again. If it were the summers I prolly would have stooped that level and scooted across to some other store and try my luck :p But for now I am happy as a bee. :eek::apple:

Excellent to hear it only cost u $49 extra for a refurbished exchange.
At least u have peace of mind knowing Apple has refurbished the phone and its basically a brand new phone in perfect condition.

Now do a full restore in iTunes to verify that it is unlocked so u can use it in India. U should get a congrats your iPhone is unlocked.

gbrnole

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
i also have a 3GS (32gb) it's factory unlocked but has developed a case of a non-operating power button/sleep button which i have found is exponentially more annoying than a sticky home button.

i hadn't heard of the out of warranty program before today - after paying replacement fee does this program replace an iphone with same model only or would they replace the phone with an different handset if a 32gb 3GS is not in stock?

thanks for any help in advance!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
STEP 1.
Remove Jailbreak.
DFU RESTORE (google)

STEP 2.
You're phone works. You do not need Out-Of-Warranty, OOW $149.

You need, battery replacement, $79.

iPhone Owners
Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax. Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

----------

Ooops, catching up.

YAY !!

I would be very pleased if I were you.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
I assume that the ad did not mention the phone's actual condition. If so, and you have a copy of the ad to prove that statement, I think you could file a police report and sue him for fraud.

Maybe what you should do is this. Give the guy a call and tell him you have a copy of the ad and will sue him in small-claims court if he does not repair it or pay for repairs. If he says he won't do either, file a police report. Be sure to give the police any legal evidence you have. I think you have at least one piece of evidence - that texting conversation you had with him. But the best piece of evidence, in my opinion, would be a copy of the ad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.