Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I can see your argument. The fact is that consoles are very limited PCs, and I mean really really limited. Browsing the web on a PS3 is a nightmare. The way that it handles flash is just ridiculous. On that matter, consoles also stink at productivity/utility tasks, which can be easily handled by not-so-limited PCs.

Don't get me wrong, my PS3 is the center of all of my Entertainment needs on my living room, but that's about it; Hence, why consoles are not considered PCs.

I wouldn't call tablets running a mobile OS a PC either, they just don't compare to a full desktop OS in many regards, productivity and utility tasks on them are often complete nightmares in comparison to a Desktop OS.

It's a type of computer, known as a console.

I don't think people will start to call consoles computers anytime soon, whereas people buy tablets to replace computers.

A certain audience who only perform simple tasks could do with just a tablet yes, but for a lot of people something like an iPad or Android tablet couldn't replace a Computer, it's a consumption device meant to compliment a PC. Who honestly would say "Pass me the PC" if they wanted you to hand them a tablet?

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
If you are going to combine Apples iPad with desktops then you better combine the XBox too and all other gaming machines.
The iPad doesn't compare to a fully featured desktop operating system as much as a gaming console/device which also has web, email, etc. does.

Come back with meaningful stats. next time.

This is a silly argument.

Tablet / iPad like hardware fall under the PC category... Xboxe, PS3, PS2, Wii, etc under gaming consoles. Sure you can use them to browse the web, watch movies and stuff, but they're still not a personal computer. I mean really... did you fall and hit your head or something?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Let's use *LTD* logic. If the numbers make Apple look good, they are relevant. If they make another company look good and Apple bad, they are irrelevant. Nice and simple.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
You would need to be a moron to put an OSX machine in the same column as a crap iOS Mickey Mouse tablet - It is an insult to what a Mac is.

Apple sold 4million computers - and 21million toys.

11thIndian

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Using the same argument that classes the iPad as a computer, would you not class the Xbox as a computer too? It has RAM, a Processor, Video Card, Hard drive. It runs an Operating System and can run apps and games.

Why isn't the Xbox in the same category? Because no one is buying an Xbox as a pc replacement- You know what it is. I know what it is. It's a gaming console with added functionality. Just like no one is going to count an iPhone in this category; because it a phone with added functionality. They have their own categories in which they fight for marketshare.

A PC is a generic category with no preordained use. That's what traditional PCs are... and that's what the iPad is. Trying to eschew the iPad out of this market would just deny the impact it's having on the industry. If even a small number of people have stopped buying a PC and are replacing it with an iPad... that's what these reports are for!

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
You would need to be a moron to put an OSX machine in the same column as a crap iOS Mickey Mouse tablet - It is an insult to what a Mac is.

How dare you specify OS X laptops as true OS X machines. MacBook air in the same category as Mac Pros?

Only Mac Pros are the true Apple computers :mad:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I can see your argument. The fact is that consoles are very limited PCs, and I mean really really limited. Browsing the web on a PS3 is a nightmare. The way that it handles flash is just ridiculous. On that matter, consoles also stink at productivity/utility tasks, which can be easily handled by not-so-limited PCs.

Don't get me wrong, my PS3 is the center of all of my Entertainment needs on my living room, but that's about it; Hence, why consoles are not considered PCs.

I've hooked up a keyboard to my PS3. Browsing wasn't half bad at all. Using Flash as a negative though? Cheap shot since the iPad doesn't show flash at all anyway.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
They are all pcs. Consoles too. Sony used to make a Linux kit for the Playstation.

Today's ipad is more powerful than the pcs of roughly 10-15 years ago. Pcs that were used in the sciences and in business etc. Graphically speaking it is farther ahead than that because of specialized processors and decoders.

And the iPad form factor only gets more powerful every year. And so every year it will gain the ability to do more tasks that you previously needed a laptop or desktop to accomplish.

Given that extra power in today's pc is generally wasted on the average user; the iPad will "catch up" to pcs as far as the average joe is concerned.

At the same time some there will always be cases where the more processing power the faster the task. Anything involving lots of heavy calculations especially ones that can be done in parallel will benefit from more processing power. and those cases will make use of the fastest chips that require bigger form factors due to cooling issues and cant stray far from power outlets because they require lots of power. But those cases will grow more specialized.

Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I've hooked up a keyboard to my PS3. Browsing wasn't half bad at all. Using Flash as a negative though? Cheap shot since the iPad doesn't show flash at all anyway.

Please, i have a ps3 and love it for gaming but browsing the web on it could not suck more. And its not flash.

The browser engine sucks

The input method sucks.

Try again.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
why is anyone talking about classification of PC or Not.

Come on I mean computers at first didn't have screens or mouses, just switches on the front! A personal computer is everything from a smart phone to a tower in my eyes a computer is not defined how an analyst does in stats.

That said PC used to be defined by having a mouse, keyboard, monitor and an OS that allowed creation on new code and applications.

A tablet even android ones don't really create anything like a PC style system can create. It's this that means an analyst won't count consoles, servers, phones, tablets in the count. Though I think it's possible to say that a tablet and a phone are a personal computer in every way.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Please, i have a ps3 and love it for gaming but browsing the web on it could not suck more. And its not flash.

The browser engine sucks

The input method sucks.

Try again.

Wait. So you're saying that your experience is more valid than mine. That you're use case is different than mine. Wow. This is so confusing. You're right. You convinced me. I've been absolutely miserable surfing on the PS3 when I've done it (albeit not a TON). Thank you SO much for showing me how wrong I am... :eek:

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

I think Apple is perfectly capable of not doing the same a microsoft.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Seriously?

Seriously. Apple TV sales have gone up, XBox and Wii sales have seriously dropped. Wii U was supposed to sell 5 million per year but only did 3.5 million, and Apple TV did 1.7 million in the last quarter alone, and over 4 million per year.

blucurv

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009

Flash is beside the point. The point is that consoles can't be used for anything other than entertainment, whereas tablets do way more than just entertainment.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA

"Wait. So you're saying that your experience is more valid than mine. That you're use case is different than mine. Wow. This is so confusing. You're right. You convinced me. I've been absolutely miserable surfing on the PS3 when I've done it (albeit not a TON). Thank you SO much for showing me how wrong I am... "

Look in the mirror

----------

Let's see, they are both built on Unix, and you can program whatever you want for them. Exactly what is your argument here?

blucurv

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
I wouldn't call tablets running a mobile OS a PC either, they just don't compare to a full desktop OS in many regards, productivity and utility tasks on them are often complete nightmares in comparison to a Desktop OS.

Not necessarily, though I do agree that you can't use many productivity programs found on PCs, we can also make the same argument the other way around. Journalists, businesses, students, aspiring musicians, and physicians have a much better experience using a tablet by recording events, making transactions, having a more immersive and interactive learning experience, complementing their sessions, and interacting with their patients in a way that would never be possible with what we currently define PCs.

In a way, tablets could be considered more personal than your typical laptop.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Apple CEO Tim Cook has repeatedly said that he believes the tablet market will eventually be bigger than the PC market.

I agree with Tim. I was going to buy a MBP and realized it would go to waste since aside from serious gaming, the iPad covers most of my needs. It's virtually an instant on device with almost no maintenance.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"Wait. So you're saying that your experience is more valid than mine. That you're use case is different than mine. Wow. This is so confusing. You're right. You convinced me. I've been absolutely miserable surfing on the PS3 when I've done it (albeit not a TON). Thank you SO much for showing me how wrong I am... "

Look in the mirror

I did. I just saw me reading what the poster I was responding to wrote and what I wrote and see quite a bit of difference in - how shall we say - presentation. Are you going to tell me that my keyboard is a bad input method as well? I agree that using the native controller is not the way to surf on a PS3.

Anyway - all a moot point. Personally I don't think tablets and PCs should be combined in the same data point. But that's neither here nor there because in this report it was.

Further - I am always amused in the threads where market share matters and where it doesn't. If Apple is behind - it's profits that matter. If Apple is ahead - it's market share.

We all know that both matter. Just like specs do ultimately matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.