Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Bath is not part of FCx. Unfortunately
But you should be able to send multiple sequences to compressor then submit. I haven't tried it and I'm not home to look at it.

Wait I think it is with latest version.
Never had to use it.
Gotta check.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I really don't get comments like these. You switched at a drop of a hat, but you have no intention of going back? Then why comment on a third party Final Cut Pro X utility that looks pretty cool and shows the strength of the platform?

What people don't understand, and it is mostly Apple's fault for the confusion, is that when Apple switched from supporting both Cocoa and Carbon developing environments to just supporting Cocoa, Apple had to rewrite Final Cut from the ground up. That is a major undertaking because Final Cut Pro 7 was huge piece of software. Apple took the same approach it did when it released OSX. It brought out a product that contained a solid foundation, but lacked many features the previous version had. Unfortunately, many of these features Pros were relying on. Apple should have foresaw this, but the way it likes secrecy sort of backfired on it.

Since the release though, Apple said it would quickly be adding features, and it temporarily put Final Cut Pro 7 back on the market. True to it's word in the fifteen months it has been out, Apple has released at least 7 significant updates. It even offers a free demo now. To each their own, but in comparison to other options, it also costs a lot less.

On the App Store, it has almost 4 out of 5 stars, which seems pretty good considering all the angry people who reviewed it when it first came out and who gave it one star (which brings the average down).

Good post, but I think Apple ultimately did the right thing. FCP X is a long term project and Apple know that the professional transition to FCP X would also be slow, just because of corporate inertia. They figured Pros would be sensible enough to dabble in FCP X for minor projects, and get the feel of it before doing any real work in it. So in that light certain legacy features weren't worth implementing right away. EDLs for example. Apple might be guessing that by the time FCP X was widely taken up, EDLs would be obsolete anyway. What would be the point of rewriting all that EDL code?

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix
Exactly what I envisioned....

This is the type of App I envisioned when the first solid rumors of the iPad came out. Used interface controls for Pro Apps like FCP. Palettes and touch interface for Photoshop. Glad to see it. As for price, you see the same price point for other professional apps due primarily to how many users will actually buy the App.

----------

I'm not a pro, but I do use FCPX for all my video editing needs (and used previous versions of FCP before that). I wonder how useful this is for someone who is already proficient with FCPX and it's keyboard shortcuts (and is a touch typist who doesn't look at the keyboard). If you have to look at the iPad to see what you are pressing that is just going to slow you down, using the keyboard and mouse (or Touchpad/Magic Trackpad) is going to be way more efficient. Maybe a jogwheel would help, too, but it would need to be a physical one to be useful.

Software that would actually let you see and work with the content on the iPad itself would be useful (but this is not that). I've been hoping Apple would create an API that lets iPad apps communicate over USB to OS X apps for a higher bandwidth/lower latency connection (at least compared to Wifi), which would enable such things as having a full-fledged controller for video editing software where you can work with the actual assets on the iPad while the application runs on the Mac. Of course, Apple could do this via private APIs for their own products (but it would be nice if they made it available for 3rd party devs, too). Something like this would be great for Aperture as well.

As a heavy FCP user I imagine its value is in scrubbing through video and ones most often used menu shortcuts, especially for scrubbing. I have used hardware versions and they definitely speed up the workflow. This is what I like about the iPad. Pay once (and expensively) for hardware and then pay much less for the software that extends the hardware's use.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Especially if Adobe feels like dropping Mac support for Premiere like they did once before.

Well, that was caused by Final Cut Pro, which trap a lot of Premiere users.
Final Cut Pro X was released too soon without a choice. Now that it has a chance to start evolving, it's up to Apple to really make it better than Premiere.
I have used Premiere for Windows in the past, and I had a lot of issues with it; it was terrible! Well, that was about a decade ago.

adityanag

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
Can this connect to multiple computers?

I use two separate machines with FCPX... Can I buy one copy of this and have to connect to two machines? Not at the same time, obviously!

If someone's bought the app, can you check this please :)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Since when could you email from an iPod shuffle?
Over the years the credibility of comments on Mac Rumours is undermined by the amount of trolling from Windows and Android users pretending to use Apple products, but really posting negative comments.

Apologies if you are posting from a Touch and think it's a shuffle - But you are nailed if you trolling. As a genuine Apple user - I think we should all be outing trolling numpties on here that pretend to be disaffected Apple users, only creating negative vibes. I wonder if these people are actually paid to troll?

Well if you were really a "genuine Apple user", you would know that you could always send messages from the iPod Shuffle. It's a lesser known feature, you can press the Play button repeatedly and enter letters in morse code.

Fun fact: it took me 4 hours to type this. Don't make me write more.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Awesome.... an iPad control interface for iMovie Pro.

Rock on.

----------

Especially if Adobe feels like dropping Mac support for Premiere like they did once before.

Adobe has cannibalized a large portion of the Final Cut Pro 7 users... they have an office here just a few miles from my studio, and as such, we get to beta test a lot of their software. Expansion of Premiere Pro on the Mac is a big priority at Adobe as they see that Apple seriously dropped the ball with FCPX. The realize they are the natural alternative to FCPX as most FCP users were also heavily invested in Adobe products already.

----------

Good post, but I think Apple ultimately did the right thing. FCP X is a long term project and Apple know that the professional transition to FCP X would also be slow, just because of corporate inertia. They figured Pros would be sensible enough to dabble in FCP X for minor projects, and get the feel of it before doing any real work in it. So in that light certain legacy features weren't worth implementing right away. EDLs for example. Apple might be guessing that by the time FCP X was widely taken up, EDLs would be obsolete anyway. What would be the point of rewriting all that EDL code?

Hate to break the news to you, but pros aren't waiting around for Apple to finally deliver the product they need. At my studio we waited a full year to see what Apple was going to do with the product. We decided to make the full move to Premiere on all of our workstations and edit bays. It's not very unlikely we will move back to FCP in the future unless something really spectacular shows up on the Apple front.

Our studio has 3 edit bays and dozen+ workstations.

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
What people don't understand, and it is mostly Apple's fault for the confusion, is that when Apple switched from supporting both Cocoa and Carbon developing environments to just supporting Cocoa, Apple had to rewrite Final Cut from the ground up. That is a major undertaking because Final Cut Pro 7 was huge piece of software. Apple took the same approach it did when it released OSX. It brought out a product that contained a solid foundation, but lacked many features the previous version had.

You are surely joking. A "solid foundation"??? Apple did not write a new app from scratch. Apple took the iMovie application and modified it into FCPX. It has NO professional foundation. Even as of now, it's far from having what we had in Final Cut Pro two years ago, let alone what Premiere has today.

The fanboys who bought the apps gave it 4 starts ? Awesome, good for them. NOT A SINGLE PRO USER IS OR WILL BE USING THAT SOFTWARE. Period. Apple took over the entire market with FCP. It bought Shake, FinalTouch HD (Color), only to kill them off with absolutely no valid reason. The professional market is extremely hard to win and Apple had it. They have now lost it forever. They just showed them "buy software and hardware from us, then we'll cancel everything and ******* you over on a whim."

As for this iPad app it's utterly ridiculous. The entire point of a control surface is to allow you to work with TACTILE controls while keeping your eyes on the screen. Having to look at the iPad to find the button's location makes this a gadget for non-professional geeks, much like FCPX itself now is.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Well, that was caused by Final Cut Pro, which trap a lot of Premiere users.
Final Cut Pro X was released too soon without a choice. Now that it has a chance to start evolving, it's up to Apple to really make it better than Premiere.
I have used Premiere for Windows in the past, and I had a lot of issues with it; it was terrible! Well, that was about a decade ago.

Not sure what "without a choice" means..... Apple had plenty of choices. They just chose the wrong one.

Premiere has changed drastically in 10 years.... hardly even similar at all.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
As a heavy FCP user I imagine its value is in scrubbing through video and ones most often used menu shortcuts, especially for scrubbing. I have used hardware versions and they definitely speed up the workflow. This is what I like about the iPad. Pay once (and expensively) for hardware and then pay much less for the software that extends the hardware's use.

But with the hardware version you can use it without looking due to the tactile nature of the controls, while you can keep your eyes focused on the video you are scrubbing through. I'd be impressed if you could manage to use this app without looking at the iPad screen often -- and that is where the inefficiency with this exists vs a hardware controller or even keyboard and mouse/touchpad.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
But with the hardware version you can use it without looking due to the tactile nature of the controls, while you can keep your eyes focused on the video you are scrubbing through. I'd be impressed if you could manage to use this app without looking at the iPad screen often -- and that is where the inefficiency with this exists vs a hardware controller or even keyboard and mouse/touchpad.

That's why this iPad app is really just a 'gee-whiz' toy.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
This seems cool. I hope developers can make an app that transforms your ipad into a virtual color correcting suite so you don't have to buy the physical control surface: for use with black magic's suite or maybe Magic bullet's options.

Is this even possible?

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix

I agree. One might find it necessary to glance down at the iPad to orient your hand, but only for a second. The Contour ShuttlePro was top for ergonomic design. Wish I wouldn't have had to leave it at a previous job. Got used to using an Intous pad and pen. My clients often comment on how fast and easy I use the pen to move around in FCP (when they are watching over my shoulder). I imagine the iPad could be the same way after some experience.

Ed A.

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Southern Connecticut, USA
NOT A SINGLE PRO USER IS OR WILL BE USING THAT SOFTWARE. Period.

Why so bitter?
I'm a pro user and I use FCP X. In fact, I prefer it to FCP 7, Adobe Premiere and Avid Media Composer (I've used them all). I work for a local television station and I also run a commercial videography company. As I mentioned before, I'm Apple Pro Certified in FCP 6, 7 & X.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent

I have to totally disagree, in the real world (I work in the real world) FCPx has caused untold damage to larger FCP7 legacy users. I work for the BBC in London and we all use FCP7 as FCPx just cant be used as its not a fit programme for us here. We are now stuck using FCP7 on limited licence and at the moment there are many systems being evaluated for use and research into where we go next. I had a high level meeting yesterday and one issue raised is that student who are now using FCPx are not being employed readily as they have never used FCP7, but those who have and are quick are being considered.

The issue is time, training costs and capital spend. Some of the larger companies invested millions for a system which has now been switched without consultation.
Apple switched from being a pro users software/hardware company to being a consumer only driven company in really quick time, so quick that no one realsed until it was to late. The larger organisations who bought into the 'Pro' side of Apple are now regretting this and will think twice before buying into a system thats just a toy at present even though you may feel it will get better and im sure it will. To late for real pro users and Apple knew this and are happy for the title to slip as they have no intention of only being a consumer company and not a pro intense one which they once where.

In essence, if you want to make corporate films stick with FCPx and if you ever wanted to work making real TV/Film programmes look at whats being used out there as if you walk in wanting a job make sure its a proper editing system you know how to use, anything less and you just wont get considered.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
The fanboys who bought the apps gave it 4 starts ? Awesome, good for them. NOT A SINGLE PRO USER IS OR WILL BE USING THAT SOFTWARE. Period. Apple took over the entire market with FCP. It bought Shake, FinalTouch HD (Color), only to kill them off with absolutely no valid reason. The professional market is extremely hard to win and Apple had it. They have now lost it forever. They just showed them "buy software and hardware from us, then we'll cancel everything and ******* you over on a whim."

Not true, professionals are using this software. Just not as many at first. New generations of video editors won't care or won't cling to the past with something that did not effect them. FCP X with all its updates is already more then usable and will only continue to get better. So you will eventually see a large majority of editors using FCP X once again.

As for this iPad app it's utterly ridiculous. The entire point of a control surface is to allow you to work with TACTILE controls while keeping your eyes on the screen. Having to look at the iPad to find the button's location makes this a gadget for non-professional geeks, much like FCPX itself now is.

While you may not get tactile feedback like a hardware controller, people will continue to find new uses for the iPad regardless.
Even with me using a keyboard & mouse I still find myself having to look back at the keyboard every time I remove my hands, and lost count to the amount of times I inadvertently pressed the wrong key because of that.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Professional editors do not use Final Cut Pro X.
Amazing, a person that knows every Pro editor around. Hats off.

I went over to Premiere for the sole reason to be able to edit my RED R3D files. FCX now support R3D files and the integration with them within FCX is amazing. You can get to the RMD (meta data) files directly from within FCX and adjust as you please.

I´m slowly moving back, FCX is really fast, but still comes short in a few areas.

It all depends on the type of work you do, if you are a one man operation FCX is faster than Premiere IMHO

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
That didnt take long.
It seems FCPX is the root of all evil on the internet.
Hey you f***ckin yahoos.
Its an app, some of us use it some of us dont care to use it.
I was around during the Max vs Maya wars, this one smells of...
MORE NEWBS vs WANNABES :p
A real professional can tell if an app works or not.
And if you are a pro (like me who gets paid to do this), and seem to be hell bent on blaming Apple for everything FCP, get over it.
They dont care what you think.
I use Apple products cause it works for me.
The day it stops working...move on.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Who likely spend more than that on a Starbucks run.

$25 is expence-account billable without anyone even noticing. :D

I love the "The target audience is already spending a lot, why not charge them more?" argument.

The numbers do make sense when you look at how software is sold, but it does make you think...

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Not sure what "without a choice" means..... Apple had plenty of choices. They just chose the wrong one.

Premiere has changed drastically in 10 years.... hardly even similar at all.

I meant that Apple was forced to release FCP X too soon, when it was an unfinished product. I think it had to do with FPC compatibility when Lion was released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.