Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
sig line

I MAY, depending on this next refresh, go back to a BB 8310 or something.

If I don't have the Mini with me it's nice having the iphone as a backup to RDP into the office computer ..... but not critical.

Opera on the BB was ok.

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
I own both an iPad2 and an iPhone 5. I don't think one can replace the other or it is redundant.

The iPad 2 is more of a laptop replacement for me for travel since my MBP is too darned heavy.

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
iPhone:
+Ultra portable
+takes great pictures
+3G
-reading on this screen for long periods of time? Lol

iPad:
+perfect screen size for web browsing/reading ebooks/watching videos
+took over 99% of my laptop's functions immediately
-doesn't fit in your pocket unless you're a man wearing an XXL trench coat, and I'm not buying a bigger purse just to carry it!

The two do totally different things. So, yeah, if you've got money to burn and want the best possible experience, get both. They don't overlap.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
iPad:
-doesn't fit in your pocket unless you're a man wearing an XXL trench coat, and I'm not buying a bigger purse just to carry it!

The two do totally different things. So, yeah, if you've got money to burn and want the best possible experience, get both. They don't overlap.

HAAHAA, this was the link at the top when I read this post.

its iPad compatible clothing. lol

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/New_Travel_Vest.shtml?utm_source=BuySight&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Remarketing

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
For those that have an ipad. Can you survive just with an ipad and a dumbphone? Or is a smartphone a necessity.

I got the rmbp15 and I am just debating if I should get a tablet or a smartphone to complement my notebook.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I have an iPhone 5, iPad 2, 11" Air and iMac.. I use them all, all the time. I probably have not gone a single day where I have not used every device. Each has their own purpose and they all work perfectly together. Its a great setup, and on top of that with the Apple TV I can mirror from every device which makes it even better.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
For those that have an ipad. Can you survive just with an ipad and a dumbphone? Or is a smartphone a necessity.

I got the rmbp15 and I am just debating if I should get a tablet or a smartphone to complement my notebook.

I think I would still need both.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I am really trying to figure out why I would need a tablet if I have a notebook. I do my notebook for on the couch, sofa, toilet and bed and I don't see how an ipad is an improvement over my rmbp15 at home

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
I am really trying to figure out why I would need a tablet if I have a notebook. I do my notebook for on the couch, sofa, toilet and bed and I don't see how an ipad is an improvement over my rmbp15 at home

it might not be an improvement, but depending on what you do with the mbp, you may not need that much computer power.

haleigh

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Detroit, MI
I definitely don't need both, but I sure do like having them! They have different, yet similar uses for me. I tend to leave my iPad at home and my iPhone goes with me everywhere. And whilst I'm home, I'm on the iPad more. Just depends on what you want to do with them!

motty2307

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Indiana
I have an iPhone 5 and the "new" iPad. I wouldn't ever say I need either one, but I use my iPad at home mostly since it is great for reading books.

miltonbull

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Sweden
Iphone 5 using outside. Ipad mini at home. I do the same thing in both, bit the bigger screen makes things easier.

Devlin234

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
I use my iPhone when I'm out and about because how much more portable it is. And I use my iPhone when my ipad is dead and vise versa lol.

SenorVvangIstMoi

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Bristol, UK
iPhone > call and messages etc.

iPad > use it on the train/bus mainly for reading magazines, newspaper and ibooks etc. nowadays majority of the ipad apps has been updated to retina compatibility and those apps were great!

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
I have an iPhone 5, which is basically my main communications device, phone, text, and email. I also use it for transit directions, photos, and music.

I have an iPad Mini as well (which actually replaced my Asus Transformer tablet). The mini is mainly used for going over notes, reading books, watching videos, and playing games. It goes great with my commute.

My Transformer was great at reading documents, but for everything else, I didn't find it all very useful. I do miss being able to run emulators on it though.

ECUSnare

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2011
iPhone 4 and iPad 2 here for me. iPhone is used while away from home and the iPad is used for all other Internet stuff except for long emails. That's when I break out my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.