Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Bologna. Windows 8 was launched over 3 years after Windows7. Windows7 came out about 2.5 years after Windows Vista and Vista came out over 6 years after Windows XP. I don't see even a single example of a ONE year update interval.

As for why, I would say Snow Leopard wasn't even working right and/or stable compared to regular Leopard until at least 10.6.4 if not 10.6.6. I waited almost a year to update for that reason. I didn't update to Lion period it was so unstable and wiped out so much software (i.e. all Rosetta PPC emulation). I'm fine with Apple doing point updates, but they're basically turning point updates into major releases and then touting it's only $20 to upgrade when Windows doesn't charge anything for those updates so it's just a marketing gimmick. Worse yet, they're using it as an excuse lately to stop support for older machines each update (probably the real reason it's being accelerated so much).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Windows-Phone-8-Windows-Blue-Surface-Foxconn,19382.html

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
And whats wrong with Launchpad? Its a lot faster to open apps with a swipe than it is to click spotlight and search or open another finder window, click the apps sidebar link, and scroll through.

Click the Application-folder in your dock (mine is set to list view). Click the app you want. Done.
I don't need LaunchPad. To me it's OS-clutter.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
how about..

snakes.

Mac OS X Python
Mac OS X Cobra
Mac OS X Rattle Snake
Mac OS X Anaconda
Mac OS X Copperhead
Mac OS X Death Adder
Mac OS X Viper

oh yeah..

razer.

doh

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Click the Application-folder in your dock (mine is set to list view). Click the app you want. Done.
I don't need LaunchPad. To me it's OS-clutter.

Well, I have a logitech mouse with more than three buttons and for me launchpad is great because I can assign one of them to it, click that button no matter the location of the cursor, and scroll through and select my app.

And I'm sure those with magic trackpads feel the same, with how they only have to gesture.

But before launchpad, and even now with my iBook, I do the same (keep a shortcut on the dock for the application folder). The only difference is that launchpad can have a gesture, hot key, or mouse button and the shortcut cant.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Well, I have a logitech mouse with more than three buttons and for me launchpad is great because I can assign one of them to it, click that button no matter the location of the cursor, and scroll through and select my app.

And I'm sure those with magic trackpads feel the same, with how they only have to gesture.

But before launchpad, and even now with my iBook, I do the same (keep a shortcut on the dock for the application folder). The only difference is that launchpad can have a gesture, hot key, or mouse button and the shortcut cant.

I just set a keyboard shortcut to command x and that's it.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
I've seen people write this a few times, in fact someone wrote about having it on the Apple TV which for the life of me I cannot understand what you would use a map program on your Apple TV for.

But on your Mac, what would you use it for over the liteny of other mapping websites out there? Honest question, what advantage does it give?

The only advantage is if you could search POI's and plan a route on your Mac and send it to your iDevice for turn by turn guideance once out and about; but otherwise, I really see it as an extra app that gives nothing over what is already easily available and better. I would also say it should have all the map data downloaded for off line use on your Mac, otherwise it is useless without an internet connection and then you are looking at several gigs of space dedicated to this data set.

If you click a location, it will bring up a map. If you are viewing a location, you can email the coordinates to someone. You can sync POIs with your iDevice. Find my iPhone/iPod/iPad/Mac can work without Safari... a lot of little things like that. It's just easier.

As for the Apple TV, I don't see why anyone would need maps on that, but it can't hurt. Same goes with Find my Mac on my Mac Pro.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
They might pick up on OSX 10.2.7 Smeagol..type of naming again. OSX Snow Sauron, OSX Mountain Tom Bombadill etc.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
If you click a location, it will bring up a map. If you are viewing a location, you can email the coordinates to someone. You can sync POIs with your iDevice. Find my iPhone/iPod/iPad/Mac can work without Safari... a lot of little things like that. It's just easier.

As for the Apple TV, I don't see why anyone would need maps on that, but it can't hurt. Same goes with Find my Mac on my Mac Pro.

Hmm valid points, I agree, in that sense it makes sense. Not an app per se but an API from apps into a map display and sharing of map data makes a lot more sense to me.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
C2D was cut from last upgrade w/ Mountain Lion though for most C2D owners ;)

----------

nah, stop living in XP years.

Mountain Lion has been running perfectly fine on my White C2D? Though it was a SSD and 8GB ram :).

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Mountain Lion has been running perfectly fine on my White C2D? Though it was a SSD and 8GB ram :).

yeah, but your was prob the last version of the white macbook, I also have a white MB C2D, but 2007 and can't run it. The real reason is the graphics card I believe ;)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
yeah, but your was prob the last version of the white macbook, I also have a white MB C2D, but 2007 and can't run it. The real reason is the graphics card I believe ;)

I thought mountain line only dropped support for CoreDuo processors, not Core2Duo's. I don't recall the GPU being involved at all, though I'm sure several features were related to it.

I'm using a 2009 MBP C2D 2.26 ghz for this post.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I thought mountain line only dropped support for CoreDuo processors, not Core2Duo's. I don't recall the GPU being involved at all, though I'm sure several features were related to it.

I'm using a 2009 MBP C2D 2.26 ghz for this post.

Yeah, its the crappy GMA 950 card inside my white mid-2007 2.16GHz C2D the issue. Apple left me stranded in Lion land :(

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 10.53.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 10.53.53 PM.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 52

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Oh man, i didn't realize how long those have been around :eek:
yeap, since the coming of tablets and smartphones power I have found I don't need anything else than my old faithful, maybe next year I will take it to the farm upstate :)

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

True that makes sense, never realized that. I actually had the one with the GMA 950 2.4Ghz C2D but when the ones with the GeForce came out I jumped on it.

Managed to sell it off for 850$ and get a new 2.26 for 999$ with student Discount :). If Apple cuts my model out, it shall give me 1 more reason to upgrade to them retinas.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Google on the web allows you to redraw a route. I don't see a way to do that on iOS (though I haven't tried too hard).

You wouldn't want to. That could and would result in nightmarishly bad mistakes and directions. You'll never see route drawing in iOS unless it is "Genius Routes" or something like that, where it takes your drawn input and calculates a safe/reasonable approximation of what you were trying to do.

But I don't see much advantage anyway. When I map directions to a location and I know one or two roads I'm definitely taking, but they don't show up as part of the route, I just go my way and it automatically recalculates based on that decision.

Can't see much other efficient use of route drawing.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
There is one very, very big iOS feature missing: The ability to run iOS applications.

I have read some speculation that at some point, Apple might create a version of OS X that will run both on Mac machines and iOS devices, which would likely replace iOS. This is an interesting concept...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Why are people calling the future OS 11 OSX 11? X means 10 kids....

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that the first combined iOS/OSX operating system will be moved to OSXI status. Despite the naming convention the timing of OSX into V10.9 will create a bad naming confusion when it goes to V10.10 for the mainstream public and some bean counter at Apple headquarters has this raging idea right now that OSX 10.9 will be the last version of OSX ever made. iOS will be combined with OSX into OSXI but it will probably get some cutesy name instead like :
Apple iXI V11.1.1 - What's New Pussycat? -

or something equally ridiculous and drag out Tom Jones to do the new retro commercials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.