Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolutmp5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2004
Well i have the 2.7 dual powermac with the standard config, yes even the ram. The problem im now running into is that the the computer gets so hot sometimes that my entire room can raise a few degrees. Its very uncomfortable to say the least. Also the fans seem to run a little hard here and there even when im just having one app open like safari as this very moment. if anyone can please tell me if uping the ram or will help this issue (by taking of a load of the cpus) or other solutions to help my powermac not turn me into a burnt crisp please respond.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Is it naturally warm where you are?

Have you removed the outer metal cover and the plastic fan guards? If so, put the plastic guard back as it is necessary for cooling the tower properly.

Is the machine on the floor? If so, raise it somehow to increase air flow.

Open up the Activity Monitor (Applications> Utilities) and see if something is really working the CPUs.

Download the miniTemp widget from the Apple widget downloads page and tell us what it says.

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
even my GigE 2x500 makes the room hotter; most any computer does - even a couple 60 watt bulbs can make a difference if you don't have good airflow.

My office is usually 2-4 degrees warmer than the rest of the apt.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
My dual 2.0 runs warm and you can definitely feel
the heat when you walk past the exhaust port, but
it never runs really HOT.

I would whip out your hardware test CD just to make sure everything is performing the way it should be.

You may also want to download Temperature Monitor 2.5 from Versiontracker so you can see what's going on.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

My CPU's are running just slightly above 120 F
Drive Bay 80 F
Logic board backside 114 F
Memory Controller heat sink 160 F
Processor cards 119 F
and Hard drive at 105 F.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
FFTT said:
My dual 2.0 runs warm and you can definitely feel
the heat when you walk past the exhaust port, but
it never runs really HOT.

I would whip out your hardware test CD just to make sure everything is performing the way it should be.

You may also want to download Temperature Monitor 2.5 from Versiontracker so you can see what's going on.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

My CPU's are running just slightly above 120 F
Drive Bay 80 F
Logic board backside 114 F
Memory Controller heat sink 160 F
Processor cards 119 F
and Hard drive at 105 F.

My Dual 2ghz Runs just like yours. And yes You can definetely feel it when you walk by the exhaust port. I keep the computer in the coldest room of the house (basement) so it really doesn't effect anything.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Just out of curiosity, do other high end PC desktop generate as much heat as PM G5 does? I came across with similar threads on PM's heat generating feature. Or, is it just a PM thing?

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I am confused, I have a PowerMac and my powermac is ice cold. Although everyone else that walks into the room says my room is burning hot, thats just because I have my windows shut and the sun is in my face.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
YS2003 said:
Just out of curiosity, do other high end PC desktop generate as much heat as PM G5 does? I came across with similar threads on PM's heat generating feature. Or, is it just a PM thing?

I have an AMD 64 3000+ machine that puts out a little warm air, but not bad. I have a dual Xeon 3ghz that running full tilt is pretty toasty. If it's not working hard, there is a slightly warm air coming from it.

I haven't played with a G5 though to say if it's worse or better. It's worse than the quicksilver dual 800 at full tilt, but about the same when idling.

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
United States
YS2003 said:
The Power Mac Dual 2.7 which I used for only ~one week was a lot hotter than my desktop in my sig. It made a lot more warm air than my desktop PC.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
YS2003 said:

I have a 3GHz P4 (OC'd to 3.2GHz) and it only gets hot when I game (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Call of Duty, etc.). It runs slightly warm during normal operations (web, Word, PhotoShop, email, etc.)

I have one 80mm fan in the front for intake, two 80mm fans in the back for exhaust, and one 80mm side fan blowing air over my GPU.

I remember when I first picked up Doom 3 last summer and the room temp felt like it went up 5-10 degrees. During intense game play, my computer rebooted twice because of the heat. Now, I just turn on the AC if it gets too warm in here.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
I've said this in a couple of other threads, but this is one of the reasons I ditched my 2.7 and stepped down to a 2.3 (see sig). I had a rev A 2.0 about a year ago and it was great. I immediately jumped on the 2.7 bandwagon when they were announced and it was faster but very, very hot. The fans would kick on just opening safari and mail. By the way, I live in cool (65-75 degree) Ventura, California - near the beach. My home is pretty cool and gets a great westerly breeze. I now use a 2.3 and it is (or at least feels) faster, snapier, and overall more responsive not to mention that I've heard the fans come on only once briefly while rendering in FCP. I know, I know how could this be and where are the benchmarks? Well, I don't have any benchmarks, but I know the "real world feel" of this baby and it's faster and cooler nonetheless.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
4God said:
I've said this in a couple of other threads, but this is one of the reasons I ditched my 2.7 and stepped down to a 2.3 (see sig). I had a rev A 2.0 about a year ago and it was great. I immediately jumped on the 2.7 bandwagon when they were announced and it was faster but very, very hot. The fans would kick on just opening safari and mail. By the way, I live in cool (65-75 degree) Ventura, California - near the beach. My home is pretty cool and gets a great westerly breeze. I now use a 2.3 and it is (or at least feels) faster, snapier, and overall more responsive not to mention that I've heard the fans come on only once briefly while rendering in FCP. I know, I know how could this be and where are the benchmarks? Well, I don't have any benchmarks, but I know the "real world feel" of this baby and it's faster and cooler nonetheless.
hmm, having a raptor as boot disk may help with some of the "snappier" observations. of course this is moot if you yanked it from your 2.7...

my 7100/80 could kick all of your G5's asses!!! System 9, woot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.