Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billybob0413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Australia
I currently have a 13" Macbook Pro Early 2011 and am looking to upgrade although I am unsure as to which one to get out of the MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Base model) or 2012 iMac 27" (Base model)

I use my laptop for video conversion and photography. I don't intend to play many games, except for possibly Diablo 3.

I want to know which one would be the better one to get.

Cheers

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I currently have a 13" Macbook Pro Early 2011 and am looking to upgrade although I am unsure as to which one to get out of the MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Base model) or 2012 iMac 27" (Base model)

I use my laptop for video conversion and photography. I don't intend to play many games, except for possibly Diablo 3.

I want to know which one would be the better one to get.

Cheers

Are you intending to upgrade and then sell the 13"? If so, then get the 15"rMBP. If you're not going to sell it, then get the iMac.

billybob0413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Australia
In my laptop I already have an Intel 120GB SSD and 8GB of RAM which i upgraded myself. I would probably sell it although I'm not entirely sure where or for how much? Any suggestions?

Cheers

billybob0413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Australia
Are you intending to upgrade and then sell the 13"? If so, then get the 15"rMBP. If you're not going to sell it, then get the iMac.

In my laptop I already have an Intel 120GB SSD and 8GB of RAM which i upgraded myself. I would probably sell it although I'm not entirely sure where or for how much? Any suggestions?

Cheers

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

Cheers

even though the SSD is nice, I wouldn't l know what to offer for your machine if I were interested because I would see that as "missing" at least 200GB of storage that I would want/need. Is it the i7 or i5? the i7 I would guess would be valued at $1150, and the i5 I would value at $950.

billybob0413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Australia
even though the SSD is nice, I wouldn't l know what to offer for your machine if I were interested because I would see that as "missing" at least 200GB of storage that I would want/need. Is it the i7 or i5? the i7 I would guess would be valued at $1150, and the i5 I would value at $950.

Unfortunately I have sold the original hard drive from this computer when i upgraded it to the Intel 120Gb SSD.

It is the base model early 2011 one with the i5.

where would be a good place to sell it?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Unfortunately I have sold the original hard drive from this computer when i upgraded it to the Intel 120Gb SSD.

It is the base model early 2011 one with the i5.

where would be a good place to sell it?

Do you have the original box/packaging/accessories? If so, then that's a bonus, if not, that's fine.

Since you modified it, I would say either eBay or Craigslist since Amazon will want the machine specs to match the model/serial number which yours won't.

Another good place though is through the MacRumors marketplace forum, but you need(I think) 200 posts to be allowed to post things in there.

billybob0413

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Australia
Do you have the original box/packaging/accessories? If so, then that's a bonus, if not, that's fine.

Since you modified it, I would say either eBay or Craigslist since Amazon will want the machine specs to match the model/serial number which yours won't.

Another good place though is through the MacRumors marketplace forum, but you need(I think) 200 posts to be allowed to post things in there.

Yeah I have the original box and chargers and everything that came with the laptop. There is minor wear and tear just from use everyday.

Well ill have a look around. Cheers for all your help :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.