Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Since when does Apple develop and produce the screens on their phones and tablets?

Isn't that a little obtuse? Apple's obviously the one who demanded it from the manufacturers, otherwise we would have seen it before Apple on other devices/manufacturers. Just because Apple isn't the company who made it doesn't mean that they're not the ones who came up with the idea.

I do think that iOS needs a bit of a refresh, hopefully they'll look to that with the next release. It's something they have to be careful with, though, because the 'easy to use' component is why so many people have flocked to the iPhone over the years. It's why it even became so popular in the first place. If they change things up too much then they risk alienating parts of their userbase.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
OP download a few new apps and get yourself a new case and you will feel better.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
First off, I have an iPhone 5. Second, Both iOS and Android have room for improvement. I have owned and iPhone since the 3G came out, but I have also owned a few android phones in that time period. After having experience with both, I just prefer iOS over Android. I will admit though, I would like for Apple to make some UI changes to iOS, but I'm not gonna ditch the iPhone just to have a different UI. And I wouldn't be surprised if Apple starts making some changes starting with iOS 7. Regardless, the iPhone and iOS still does everything I want it to do, and it does it well. So until it stops doing what I need it to do, I'm gonna stick with it.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
The OP is talking about the os. Sure there are phone makers that make larger screens, but as far as os, ios and android os are both "boring". They both have problems. ios is is too contolled. Android is too fragmented. Both could use an overhaul.

The issue is that these are conflicting things. Android is fragmented because it's open, and iOS has good apps because it's closed

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I love my iPhone as I do the rest of my apple products. And I'm not jacking for some "cool new feature " or anything like that. All I want them to do is to make me feel like I'm hurting a new device when I buy a new device. The OS is just boring to me. I love the way everything works, but the tiled layout is starting to make me feel like I'm using an "easy to use" phone. If they don't freshens hinges up a bit I'll have to switch phones. I love my apple ecosystem and iCloud and how everything about iOS is so well laid out... But it's just getting so boring. I'd never thought I'd be saying any of this, especially this soon. Thank you for bumping up the specs, speed, camera,screen size, but just freshen the iOS up.

For starters, I think one of Apple's goals was to have an "easy to use" device. If it wasn't so easy, it wouldn't sell as well as it does. What are your ideas to freshen things up and get you to feel like you're "hurting"?

For me, the iPhone is a tool and it works well for my needs. Regardless of what Apple comes out with next, I'm likely to buy it because I doubt they're going to make such a drastic and negative change that would force me to leave for another brand.

You have to do what is right for you. If you're not happy with the iPhone, get something that you like better. No worries.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Your lack of Android knowledge is showing :)

Prior to ICS 4.0 I would agree, however I have had iOS since the 3G and that is boring, same icons, same old Apple. I just gave my son my IP5 and moved to the Samsung Galaxy Note II, and could not be happier. A whole new fresh OS, with some really cool features as well. I had the SGIII for 3 weeks, and thought the Note II was too big, until I started to use it, now I put off buying an iPad Mini bc the Mini is a fail to me without Retina. I only use Apple products at home, however being fully entrenched into the Apple echo system has left me alone on the sidewalk.

See the new Android phones they are nice, also Win 8 mobile is smooth on the Nokia 920, I just hate Windows 8 otherwise it is a nice phone.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I'm torn.

iOS has the best developer community, in terms of app store apps. And I think the jailbreak developer community is awesome as well. But the problem is, it's becoming more and more difficult to jailbreak, and iOS seems to have stagnated in a big way.

Android, even with it's quirks, has come a long long ways. I have a Nexus 7 and really enjoy it. The only thing I really miss on the Android side is... the "app store" community. There may be a lot of apps on Android, but I feel like there are fewer really high quality ones.

Currently I have an iPhone 4S and Nexus 7... I might end up with the next Nexus phone, and the next iPad Mini... who knows. Either way, we have some good choices out there. I just wish Apple would push iOS to the next step.

jer9542

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
OP, if you haven't yet, I'd highly reccomend trying out a jailbreak. The options are almost unlimited.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Android has become quite stale too. Perhaps you should give windows or blackberry a shot.
I just tried Jelly Bean for a few days and am so glad to be back on my iPhone 5. I had thought Jelly Bean would be refreshing but Nope!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I don't need a bigger screen. That's not the problem. I just think the iOS needs a major facelift and a little less makeup

Be specific. What do you want on iOS that would make it a "major facelift?"

Clearly you have something in mind that would be considered "innovative" and not just "makeup." So what is it?

And remember: pointing to something on another OS and saying "I want that" isn't innovating. It's just catching up. In which case, you might as well "leave" now to that platform that you point to.

MyNameIsDave

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Blighty
I don't have any issues with my iPhone 5. It looks basically the same as the iPhone 3 I used to have, but so what! It works and the whole ecosystem around it works as well.

I've tried other phones and always come back to the iPhone. Even if iOS7 is nothing more than a bug fixed iOS6, I wouldn't leave.

Before I get accused of being a fan boy, I'm not. I'm quite prepared to say that not everything Apple does is golden.

S

syd430

For me, when people complain about iOS being "boring", it's more of an indication that that person has little to do with their smartphone other than fumbling around home screens, rather than immersing themselves in the apps themselves (be it for consumption or productivity).

Personally, I want the OS to do 3 things: 1) Allow me very quick and efficient access to apps. 2) Have an intuitive and efficient system for handling settings and utilities between the OS and apps. 3) Do the above 2 in extremely fast and fluid manner whilst remaining visually pleasing.

In my opinion, iOS does the above 3 things better than the competing OS's (again, strictly my subjective opinion) but there is always room for improvement to make something even better and more efficient.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I think iOS 7 will be fresh departure from iOS 6.

For one, Scott Forstall is no longer at Apple. His responsibilities are now handled by Eddy Cue, Jony Ives, and Craig Federighi - three very talented people.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I just tried Jelly Bean for a few days and am so glad to be back on my iPhone 5. I had thought Jelly Bean would be refreshing but Nope!

When I had ICS for a few days, I first felt liberated by its easy to change interface. Then I realized all I actually wanted was icons on the front screen (btw, the worst part about touchwiz is it is one row short on the SGSIII). Then I realized I was never using the widgets and none of them were remotely useful. Then I realized I hated touchwiz and switched to Novalauncher. Then I realized that the best widget (touchwiz weather widget) was not available in Novalauncher. Soon there were icons on my screen I didn't put there through the free version of Novalauncher so I switched back to touchwiz.

In the end, I couldn't get used to the SGSIII and I felt that I missed the iPhone interface. As a result I went back to the iPhone 5. I don't care what new things it does, I like iOS for what it is even if it isn't the next big thing. After all, OS X hasn't really been the "next big thing" ever while windows has released three iterations since OS X's official launch.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've used several Androids over the years and recently even used an HTC Windows 8X. Right now I have an iPhone 5 and the iPhone 3G was my first smartphone.

At the end of the day the iPhone just gets everything I need done the most efficiently of those 3 OS's, has the best battery life, and the most apps and high quality apps. It's reliable and stable and the hardware is probably the best designed on the market. There are a few small features I wouldn't mind being added like call blocking and a file storage system but for now the other phones just don't compare. iPhone gets the job done and I'll being staying put for the foreseeable future.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Android or iOS they all basically do the same thing you just have more freedom and options with Android. I do have to say I don't believe iOS is boring I just think most people have become bored with it and it could use a little sprucing up.

Exactly

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I am already in the Apple eco-system. For me to ditch my iPhone, other devices will need to be as simple to sync as the iDevices and iTunes. I also have no desire to spend out replacing apps for other OS's.

I received a Kindle Fire HD just before Xmas. I need to use Android File Transfer app to transfer media from my Mac onto the Kindle. I need to root around in my iTunes library to locate my media files to then drag into the Android app. Result.....I only use the Kindle for books and light browsing, maybe some skype use, never for music listening, movie watching. If the Kindle experience can be made as simple and seamless as the iDevice experience, then I may consider other devices when I look to replace ones I already have, if not I will just stick to iDevices.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Prior to ICS 4.0 I would agree, however I have had iOS since the 3G and that is boring, same icons, same old Apple. I just gave my son my IP5 and moved to the Samsung Galaxy Note II, and could not be happier. A whole new fresh OS, with some really cool features as well. I had the SGIII for 3 weeks, and thought the Note II was too big, until I started to use it, now I put off buying an iPad Mini bc the Mini is a fail to me without Retina. I only use Apple products at home, however being fully entrenched into the Apple echo system has left me alone on the sidewalk.

See the new Android phones they are nice, also Win 8 mobile is smooth on the Nokia 920, I just hate Windows 8 otherwise it is a nice phone.

I've been a big mobile enthusiast long before there was such a thing as a smartphone. Prior to iOS & Android I've been deeply involved in both Mac & Windows on the desktop. Thus my only point is my position is as a cross platform user, I'm not aligned permanently within any Eco Sytem or Platform.

Upon the original iPhone release I bought one. Then later upon the first Android release I bought one of those. Because Apple had a substantial headstart, they were somewhat more advanced until Android 4.0. Next up Jelly Bean 4.1 revealed an OS much more advanced than any version of iOS at that juncture. A fact that reveals the normal ebb & flow as various manufacturers develop their products.

Using both concurrently has been a very interesting & enjoyable experience. Both having their pros & cons, mainstream users have never had more usable & fun choices than they do at the present. As usual, it all simply boils down to personal preference.

Apples stroke of brilliance was creating iTunes, a way to lock users into Apples walled garden. And if not locked, Apples got them feeling that way due to their investment in Apps & other Apple proprietary media.

Now that Android has the fairly mature Google Play Store, and other resources available to Android users, Apples lead is all but neutralized.

Of even greater significance & a distinct Android advantage, is the wide variety of device choices & price points, which Apple will never be able to match.

2013 promises to be a banner year for Google's Android. How Apple copes with this will be very interesting.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I am already in the Apple eco-system. For me to ditch my iPhone, other devices will need to be as simple to sync as the iDevices and iTunes. I also have no desire to spend out replacing apps for other OS's.

I received a Kindle Fire HD just before Xmas. I need to use Android File Transfer app to transfer media from my Mac onto the Kindle. I need to root around in my iTunes library to locate my media files to then drag into the Android app. Result.....I only use the Kindle for books and light browsing, maybe some skype use, never for music listening, movie watching. If the Kindle experience can be made as simple and seamless as the iDevice experience, then I may consider other devices when I look to replace ones I already have, if not I will just stick to iDevices.

You're expecting something to be seamless with a foreign Ecosystem. Of course an android device won't play well with iTunes. You have to use each device with their own ecosystem. The kindle works seamlessly with Amazon's Eco system and android plays well with googles.

Last edited:

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Also don't forget on android phones they put on carrier **** on there unlike iPhones.

Also I notice not all android devices aren't optimized with the OS.

Which is probably the reason the frame rate isn't as good when you navigate around the interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.