Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I believe there's a page where you can send feedback to Apple.

Anyone?

If there is I will say something for sure.

I will probably keep it simple by saying that the horizontal scrolling and large icons are not great choices in the layout of the App Store. Smaller icons and bringing back vertical scrolling is the more ideal navigation.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Super junk... Steps backwards. Like apple tv interface!

It is beyond horrible..
Who came up with this format? What were they smoking.
I do a search and i can only see one item per screen... Have to swips god knows how many time to see all the results...
For heavens sake why waste the whole screen real estate just to display one result..
Before it was much more efficient!

The use of screen real estate in the whole store is. Junk .. Inefficiant and limiting.

Hope they change it back tomorrow!

Same goes for apple tv menu.

I feel these are signs of Steves absence from the scene...
But come on... This is toooo obviously horrible and miles of steps backwards!
Is apple really lacking someone to catch this kind of bs before it gets released!

I hope they are listening!

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
The old App Store was simple, clean, efficient and just great over all. I feel like Apple tried to model this new App Store after Android's App Store -- NO.

It does not work. Please do something about this, Apple. The layout for this new App Store is horrible.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
It's like they hired an outside firm that lacks Apple's strict adherence to clean, efficient, and elegant design and had them revamp the AppStore.

Oh, wait they kinda did. They bought Chomp.

Blinny83

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Yeah, I've hated it ever since the first time I saw it in the betas. Not only is the layout completely unusable, it's laggy and crashes constantly. Not to mention that you can only see 5 reviews. There's a "see more reviews" button that does absolutely nothing on the retina ipad or 4s.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah, I've hated it ever since the first time I saw it in the betas. Not only is the layout completely unusable, it's laggy and crashes constantly. Not to mention that you can only see 5 reviews. There's a "see more reviews" button that does absolutely nothing on the retina ipad or 4s.

I noticed that, too. Tapping "See More Reviews" doesn't work.

They shouldn't have redesigned the AppStore in the manner that they did, but they could have at least made it stable.

How could their QA Testing team not catch obvious errors like this?!

I swear, Steve Jobs would be having a stroke right about now.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
The new app store will use more of your system source, your cpu and your memory. I can see this because i have system status installed on. Especially the memory, the app store alone will take 20-30% of you RAM depends on which tab you are.
So before you run it, make sure you set your device correctly first and no other app running in background. If not, there is a chance that it will be laggy and force closes.

dsacgt

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Terrible. Holding iPhone in right hand and scrolling sideways with your thumb allows you to see two or maybe three new apps at a time as the app icons are overly large and your thumb position naturally obscures some icons. Sideways scrolling also doesn't have persistence like vertical scrolling so it's much slower and quickly fatigues the hand. A total failure!

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
It's horrible. I HATE it. I've been using it for a few days now and I just don't want to even look for new apps anymore because of how many flicks and touches I need to do to get where I want. It's just BAD.

ibergu

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
While I agree with a lot of the complaints that others have raised, the thing that I noticed right away (that no one has mentioned yet) is the smaller font size used for the app name, etc. It's still legible, but much harder to read.

It's amazing that a company that is known for keeping things simple and always focusing on providing an enjoyable user experience could have gotten it so horribly wrong.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I wonder what the likelihood is of Apple fixing this abomination of what is the new App Store. It's mind-numbingly bad. Just bad. Unusable.

craigtone

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Another vote for horrible here! It was designed for the iPad screen and not the tiny iPhone!

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
I hate the new AppStore and the one in iTunes is crap as well. Isn't there any website that lets me search the AppStore by keyword, category, rating & price or all of the above?

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I miss the old app store.

This new one is a disaster.
Agreed.

The old format was more user friendly in my opinion. I use to spend time in the app store searching for apps. Not so much since the new format. Plus the old format loaded much more quickly.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I find it so slow likely due to my Verizon 4S data connection. I only consider using the App Store when I'm on wifi.

It scrolls very poorly too.

I always use this forum, web searches and word of mouth to find apps. Using that app is just a pain.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
It's AWFUL.

Uglier, harder to navigate and slower.

There is no positive whatsoever.

People who claim to like it better than the old one must be masochistic or something. Apple use to promote the philosophy of cleaner/simpler products, but the new app store is the complete reverse. There is no reason why anyone who has been using Apple products for a while would like the iOS 6 iPhone app store.

Sorry if those statements are a bit strong, but I seriously don't get out how anyone can like the current app store more than the old one, it boggles my mind. To me it's like saying you like the iPhone 3G more than the iPhone 3GS, I'm like...

jackie-chan-wtf-face-meme-i16.png

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The scrolling and overall stability/performance have improved in iOS 6.1, but its new design in general is of course still lacking, and there are still more bugs and stability/performance issues, nonetheless.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
My question is still up, is there an alternative App-search-engine like the one shown still available?

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
It's AWFUL.

Uglier, harder to navigate and slower.

There is no positive whatsoever.

People who claim to like it better than the old one must be masochistic or something. Apple use to promote the philosophy of cleaner/simpler products, but the new app store is the complete reverse. There is no reason why anyone who has been using Apple products for a while would like the iOS 6 iPhone app store.

Sorry if those statements are a bit strong, but I seriously don't get out how anyone can like the current app store more than the old one, it boggles my mind. To me it's like saying you like the iPhone 3G more than the iPhone 3GS, I'm like...

Exactly. I'm also pretty sure the new App Store must have already backfired on Apple (and devs too, unfrotunately) in terms of diminished sales due to the store's "all-new" usability.

But when is Apple going to release some comparison numbers? That's right, never. :(

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
I find it so slow likely due to my Verizon 4S data connection. I only consider using the App Store when I'm on wifi.

It scrolls very poorly too.

I always use this forum, web searches and word of mouth to find apps. Using that app is just a pain.

this!

i thought i was going crazy...

but only if you're scrolling slowly

i dont understand how can they fail in such a basic function like scrolling, disaster

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.