Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revm1m

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Wisconsin
when I close my macbook pro , my apple tv stops working, if I am watching my photos or listing to my music from itunes. What is wrong with this???

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
If you're streaming from iTunes on your computer, the computer has to be running. When you close the lid the computer goes to sleep and iTunes shuts down, cutting off the streaming.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
?

when I close my macbook pro , my apple tv stops working, if I am watching my photos or listing to my music from itunes. What is wrong with this???

Are you asking why or how it happens or are you insinuating it shouldn't?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Macs automatically go to sleep when you close the lid (unless attached to an external monitor and plugged in).

Just go download NoSleep. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37991/nosleep

It allows you to turn an option on and off that allows you to close the lid of your Mac, but not automatically put itself to sleep. I've used it for years. I do a lot of DVD ripping on my Macbook Air, but my little one likes to play with the keyboard when the lid is open. Perfect solution.

----------

I think having an option to keep the ATV-connection running dispite closing the lid would be every nice indeed,

See my post above for a work around. Easy Peasy

revm1m

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Wisconsin
Macs automatically go to sleep when you close the lid (unless attached to an external monitor and plugged in).

Just go download NoSleep. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37991/nosleep

It allows you to turn an option on and off that allows you to close the lid of your Mac, but not automatically put itself to sleep. I've used it for years. I do a lot of DVD ripping on my Macbook Air, but my little one likes to play with the keyboard when the lid is open. Perfect solution.

----------

See my post above for a work around. Easy Peasy

thank you all!

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Is there any downside to using no sleep? Maybe heating issues?

not really maybe if you doing some intensive like rendering a file or converting or ripping large files but not just using it for airplay or home sharing to the ATV

but if you use your mbp with a monitor in clamshell mode remember to disable nosleep or clamshell mode will not kick in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.