Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
No. We DO NOT need, and DO NOT want.
Don't be fooled by simple power numbers. Battery life and actual power consumption has more complex phases. Just because it may be able to scale down to 7W, doesn't mean it will all the time. Maybe... but don't assume anything in marketting speak.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/0...isplay-full-windows-8-compromised-experience/

--The Verge

--AllThingsD

--Ars

--Anand

And it's a porker
Image--Anand
Add to that the fact that the Surface Pro only holds a charge for a couple of minutes so you cant go without your charger.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Haha, yes apple, please release a new ipad with an even more powerful CPU and crapy battery life. Don't worry about the OS, or App ecosystem or anything important like that. We need our JavaScript processing so we can load this web page 2.334499929202 nano seconds quicker.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I haven't heard many complaints that browsing is slow on the iPads. An actual real world problem though, is tab reloading -- especially since not all websites can be just reloaded.
Yes! This pisses me off. Apple needs to do something about it. :mad:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
OH YES! Apple needs a Core i5 tablet that has 3 hours of battery life! /sarcasm

:rolleyes:

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
So the surface reviews are out. Not something I'd be buying. 1st gen products seem to always be full of bugs/compromises, etc. This is quite relevant with the surface: 4 hours of battery life. Not good enough. HOWEVER, this is using a 17w ivy bridge CPU. Next gen Ivy bridge is 7W. That's a chip that will use 41% of the power draw of the current. Ergo, 2nd gen surface will have battery life jump from 4hrs to 12hrs (approx).

oh wow .. talk about making a very simplistic calculation of battery life based on the CPU power rating.

What about the display, wifi chip, flash chip and all the other components? FYI, the largest power usage in the ipad is from the display.

Also, Intel did a shifty with the next gen ivy chip power ratings. The 7W and 17W is not an apples to apples comparison. You can read more about it here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6655/...-rating-to-get-there-yseries-skus-demystified

ie. the new chip using the traditional method of measuring power (TDP) is 13W (7W is the SDP method) which is a bit less than 17W. And the new chip runs at a lower frequency (1.5Ghz/2.3 Turbo vs 1.7Ghz/2.6 Turbo). Not much of an improvement at all.

Last edited:

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
On the flip side of this discussion... The graphs show that ARM is not even close to replacing Intel for Apple's MacOS machines.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Jesus wept, and there's me still using my iPad 1, still working, original battery, used every day and its fine, what I haven't had I don't miss, nerdy figures that mean nothing to me, my ipad1 works, and its easy......thanks you apple.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
As intel targets the mobile space, Apple's chip lead is going to evaporate and the battery life/performace trade off that so many other manufacturers have to deal with will be eliminated.

Unless Apple stays ahead of the curve that they created, it's going to be a much different story with Surface 2.0 and intel.

By the time Surface 2.0 appears, its reputation will be so completely damaged that nothing can salvage it. And while the processor that Intel promises has excellent performance with real low power consumption, the processor that Intel delivers will be something completely different. Intel has promised ARM-beating processors for the last ten years.

ie. the new chip using the traditional method of measuring power (TDP) is 13W (7W is the SDP method) which is a bit less than 17W. And the new chip runs at a lower frequency (1.5Ghz/2.3 Turbo vs 1.7Ghz/2.6 Turbo). Not much of an improvement at all.

In other words, the 7W chip is slower than the 17W, and the 7W is achieved by cheating with measurements. As a car analogy: We measure fuel consumption and give the maximum consumption in gallons per hour at the highest possible speed with the car full of passengers. The next generation car has its speed limited - that reduces the "maximum consumption at highest possible speed" without actually saving any fuel. And we change the measurement: Instead of measuring at "highest possible speed" we measure at "legal speed limit", again getting a much lower number without any actual savings.

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
No. We DO NOT need, and DO NOT want.

I think you mean to say you are not in rush to get the next gen iPads.

But you are right, the best hardware in world will not compensate for a terrible OS. Apple is doing excellent job of great performance with a great SoC (System on Chip).

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Unless Apple stays ahead of the curve that they created, it's going to be a much different story with Surface 2.0 and intel.

That's like saying that unless you study, you are going to fail your math test.

We can be sure that Apple will continue to improve their processors every year, if nothing else but to serve as a selling point for the next generation of IOS devices.

mouser45

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
That's like saying that unless you study, you are going to fail your math test.

We can be sure that Apple will continue to improve their processors every year, if nothing else but to serve as a selling point for the next generation of IOS devices.

I don't think I made my point clear enough in the OP.

The iPad is Apple's greatest product in comparison to the competition in the space. They are able to offer this due to their vertical integration, optimizing and such to make slow hardware feel fast, with great battery life. My iPad is fantastic at the moment.

When this advantage has eroded (and it's happening everyday), Apple is left with iOS. Is anyone seriously going to argue that iOS has more customization and productivity than windows? FFS, iOS doesn't even have a file manager.

With hardware improvements in the tablet space, very few would pick iOS. Picture a windows tablet in the current iPad footprint, same 10-12hr battery life, with a full fledged OS, awesome screen, complete with USB ports and such.

The iPhone was released in 2007. Android has crushed it in worldwide marketshare.

The iPad was released in 2010. You really think Android won't crush it by 2016?

People will say "oh but apple has all of the profits", etc etc. That's true. That's great. When your business is half-completed by independent developers though, marketshare matters. It seems to me that profits lag at least 2-3 years behind current marketshare: in 2009-2010, the iPhone and iPad were utterly dominant.

Of course this is all off the table if Apple can innovate. Innovation drives margins, which is all that matters. Innovation gives a temporary headstart, upon which a company can capitalize and try to prevent others from competing. I just don't see it happening at the current pace of things.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Ports make the device thicker and heavier. All other things equal, an ipad should always be thinner and lighter than an equivalent device with ports. I would personally prefer to carry around an adaptor or 2 for the occasional time I need to connect it to a display, then contend with a bulkier device everyday. Airplay exists for a reason. Android is still a power-guzzler, which manufacturers are able to circumvent in the meantime because larger phones allow for larger batteries.

Has it occurred to you that that certain "productive tasks", you don't really need a full-blown OS or even a file manager? Or that people might actually prefer the ipad exactly because they don't have to contend with managing files or the pitfalls of a full OS?

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
When this advantage has eroded (and it's happening everyday), Apple is left with iOS. Is anyone seriously going to argue that iOS has more customization and productivity than windows? FFS, iOS doesn't even have a file manager.

Agree with you on this to a large extent. iOS needs to pick up on some fronts and give us more flexibility in terms of file managing, and customizing our own folders. If iOS can provide that freedom, I don't see it get completely eroding away, on the contrary, it might continue to perform. Restrictions like we can't choose which app, we want to open a particular file with, or files can only be loaded through to one app, and can't be viewed or accessed from another app, is simply not acceptable anymore.

Some of the concepts like the "new" task manager created by individual developers, show there is still amazing potential in the iOS. Let's see how things start to pan out from the iOS 7. I am one of those people who don't want a full blow computer on the tablet, but simple things like what I mentioned above is mandatory. I don't want my iPad to be JUST a media consumption device...its more than that.

With hardware improvements in the tablet space, very few would pick iOS. Picture a windows tablet in the current iPad footprint, same 10-12hr battery life, with a full fledged OS, awesome screen, complete with USB ports and such.

The iPhone was released in 2007. Android has crushed it in worldwide marketshare.

The iPad was released in 2010. You really think Android won't crush it by 2016?

Android's large market share is typical because of the range of devices & companies that endorse the Android OS. iPhone reinvented the need & desire for smart phones and has nearly single handed controlled the market, nearly beating out many key players from the market including Nokia, Blackberry, LG, etc.

Yes, Apple needs to embrace and implement some changes. But a full overhaul is unnecessary, as simple changes, will breathe new life into it.

Of course this is all off the table if Apple can innovate. Innovation drives margins, which is all that matters. Innovation gives a temporary headstart, upon which a company can capitalize and try to prevent others from competing. I just don't see it happening at the current pace of things.

Sometimes innovation isn't the only driving force. As seen before, small things can go a long way. Just watch if a new task manager, and a more improved, less restrictive file management system makes it debut in the iOS 7, its going to pull up its market share to where it should rightly belong.

Ports make the device thicker and heavier. All other things equal, an ipad should always be thinner and lighter than an equivalent device with ports. I would personally prefer to carry around an adaptor or 2 for the occasional time I need to connect it to a display, then contend with a bulkier device everyday. Airplay exists for a reason. Android is still a power-guzzler, which manufacturers are able to circumvent in the meantime because larger phones allow for larger batteries.

totally agree with you. An occasional use of adapter should easily solve the problem, although I would like to have a USB port on the iPad. it wont make the device thicker at all.

Has it occurred to you that that certain "productive tasks", you don't really need a full-blown OS or even a file manager? Or that people might actually prefer the ipad exactly because they don't have to contend with managing files or the pitfalls of a full OS?

Like I said above, we don't need a full blown OS. But a file manger that doesn't allow you to open your own files in your own choice of Apps, or require you to separately load up each file INTO each app is not really a good file manager. Shed of some of those restrictions, and its enough. Give us at least that much freedom. FileApp is a key example, they can take a few cues from that itself, and they should be up and running in no time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.