Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Anyone else's Nexus 4 get pretty hot when in use for more than 1 minute or two?

Also - how do I enable "push" email data (I think it's "sync" on here, but all my email accounts say its off with no option to turn it on).

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I got my Nexus 4 today. The first thing I noticed is that the colors/saturation and contrast/gamma are horrible. Everything looks very bright and washed out, and blue looks almost purple because of it. I didn't notice that on the one I played with at the store, but it was brightly lit and I didn't spend much time on it.

Now I understand what people are complaining about with it being washed out. It doesn't even look good compared to my iPhone 4S, which looks bad compared to newer IPS screens like the iPhone 5 and the One X. Also, this one is yellow tinted when viewed from straight on. If I tilt it to the right, it becomes whiter. When tilted to the left it stays yellow.

I love the phone otherwise, so I don't know what to do. I'm not interested in rooting and using custom ROMs and kernels, and it looks like that is the only option to correct the colors and gamma, but that won't fix the yellow tint.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I got my Nexus 4 today. The first thing I noticed is that the colors/saturation and contrast/gamma are horrible. Everything looks very bright and washed out, and blue looks almost purple because of it. I didn't notice that on the one I played with at the store, but it was brightly lit and I didn't spend much time on it.

Now I understand what people are complaining about with it being washed out. It doesn't even look good compared to my iPhone 4S, which looks bad compared to newer IPS screens like the iPhone 5 and the One X. Also, this one is yellow tinted when viewed from straight on. If I tilt it to the right, it becomes whiter. When tilted to the left it stays yellow.

I love the phone otherwise, so I don't know what to do. I'm not interested in rooting and using custom ROMs and kernels, and it looks like that is the only option to correct the colors and gamma, but that won't fix the yellow tint.
I remember you saying how well the display was after seeing the N4 in a store. I thought that was kind of odd since to me my 4S seems much brighter and more vivid. I do think my N4 has a nice display though; once I get used to looking at it and adjusting it. Unfortunately it only seems to come close to my 4S when I crank it the display up to at least 50%--which hurts the already marginal battery life.

Of course in my case I really like the amoled display on my Note 2, which you also do not like. :) (If I am confusing you with someone else, my apologies.)

Michael

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I remember you saying how well the display was after seeing the N4 in a store. I thought that was kind of odd since to me my 4S seems much brighter and more vivid. I do think my N4 has a nice display though; once I get used to looking at it and adjusting it. Unfortunately it only seems to come close to my 4S when I crank it the display up to at least 50%--which hurts the already marginal battery life.

Of course in my case I really like the amoled display on my Note 2, which you also do not like. :) (If I am confusing you with someone else, my apologies.)

Michael

Yeah, that was me. :)

It really seems strange to me that the Nexus 4 colors are like this. Now that I've seen it I can't adjust to it. I don't understand why Google or LG would have done this. I read some comments on another forum that the Optimus G doesn't have this issue and looks much better than the Nexus 4 when they are compared to each other. The Optimus G may seem washed out when compared to AMOLED, but at least the colors and gamma on it are accurate when compared to other IPS displays.

I called for an RMA tonight. I think I'm just going to wait for the GS4. Maybe they'll release it with the Screen Mode setting for the US this time. I really do like the Android OS and larger screen, though. It's going to be hard sticking with the iPhone 4S while waiting for news on the GS4.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
What energy saving applications do people use?

Also, has anyone noticed a difference in battery life when using Exchange push? The battery life seems to have utterly plummeted since syncing with the corporate e-mail. Whereas with normal Google Mail, it was fine.

Last edited:

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Funny story with AT&T

I've been having a really hard time keeping a data connection when away from home. I thought I was on the wrong data plan with AT&T because it shows up as "Unlimited with Smartphone", but I read somewhere online that the plan should be "Unlimited with 4G Smartphone" and because AT&T's computers don't register the Nexus 4 as a 4G device, I thought you had to give AT&T the IMIE number off another 4G phone to fake them into switching the plan, I didn't know if there was a difference between them.

(Some of you already know how this will go down, but I'm new to all this)

So I snagged the IMEI off of a display Samsung GS3 at Best Buy and gave this little trick a try on AT&T's customer service online chat. The first rep was a female, I gave her the number without knowing that it was a digit short. So, in a panic, I closed out. I found another number online and tried again. This time it was a dude on the chat and thru my lie, he knew exactly what I was trying to do. This sneaky bastard had a Nexus 4 himself, lol. He told me I was on the right plan and helped me change my APN settings (again, this is the 3rd settings I've tried). We'll give this a try, I haven't left the house yet to see if it works or not. My signal only shows an 'H' above the signal bars, but apparently it'll show an 'H+' up there as well sometimes? I've yet to see the 'H+', but hopefully I can just keep a connection for longer than 3 seconds now.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Anyone else's Nexus 4 get pretty hot when in use for more than 1 minute or two?

Also - how do I enable "push" email data (I think it's "sync" on here, but all my email accounts say its off with no option to turn it on).

I use K9 email for this reason. Could never get push to work with stock Android email app.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Can anyone help me out. I remember reading a post that someone managed to change between lock screens - ie a different lock screen at home and a different one at work.

I want to do this, I want to turn off my screen ( without power button ) and the screen goes off. But when I use the power button for example, it will require a pattern or lock to unlock.

I use K9 email for this reason. Could never get push to work with stock Android email app.

Its easy, when in app, tap the bottom right corner ( the dots ) to show the options/settings then click Sync options then click Check Frequency then click Push.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Can anyone help me out. I remember reading a post that someone managed to change between lock screens - ie a different lock screen at home and a different one at work.

I want to do this, I want to turn off my screen ( without power button ) and the screen goes off. But when I use the power button for example, it will require a pattern or lock to unlock.

Its easy, when in app, tap the bottom right corner ( the dots ) to show the options/settings then click Sync options then click Check Frequency then click Push.

The option for push is never available for any of my email accounts in the stock app. So I switched to K9 and push works on all of them.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The option for push is never available for any of my email accounts in the stock app. So I switched to K9 and push works on all of them.

Ya me either - if you use Power Toggles, there is a toggle you can set to put Sync on for all of your accounts....

After I did that I noticed check boxes next to all of my accounts that correspond with whether sync is on or not....

Using K9 anyways because I like to have ONE email app where I get my mail, not two (stock email + gmail app were both giving me notifications) plus I like the customization and UI better on K9.

Thanks for the tip!

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Does anyone have a good email app for non-Gmail accounts other than the god awful stock email app? I'm tired of being super-zoomed into every email I get and not being able to zoom out of it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Does anyone have a good email app for non-Gmail accounts other than the god awful stock email app? I'm tired of being super-zoomed into every email I get and not being able to zoom out of it.

See above posts.....

K9 is pretty nice - I'm liking it so far.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Nope, same problem. I don't understand why emails have to be super zoomed in when you open them. You can read a damn thing when the only thing you can see is the top left corner.

Ha sorry - I didn't finish reading your post, and TBH, most of the mail I get is junk so I rarely actually read it. Just noticed the zooming thing.....odd.

If you find one that doesn't do this I'd like to know as well - the iOS mail app may be relatively archaic, but it works extremely well and I've always been a fan of it.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Is now a bad time to buy the nexus 4?

I have been wanting to try a nexus phone for a while and I am planning on selling my wifes 4S, giving her my iPhone 5 and buying a Nexus 4 to use for myself. The Nexus still seems like it is a new enough device to give me a good android experience but I don't want to get in too late either.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011

Using K9 anyways because I like to have ONE email app where I get my mail, not two (stock email + gmail app were both giving me notifications) plus I like the customization and UI better on K9.

Does anyone have a good email app for non-Gmail accounts other than the god awful stock email app?

I don't see why you can't create a Push option for the stock mail app. Its under settings in the Check frequency option of Sync Options.

Anyway this is what I recommend doing, it will also save your battery as you wont have multiple emails syncing and you get a nice app with gestures too.

Forward all your emails from your old email, lets say mac@hotmail.com to your gmail account.

Go into your gmail account (in a browser) under Settings and then go to Accounts.

Add another email address and save.

A email will be sent to your address mac@hotmail.com address requesting permission to send emails from your gmail as if it was sent from mac@hotmail.com

Sync only the gmail app.

Now everytime you reply or create a new email you will have a drop down option to select which email it is From ala K9 style but a much improved app.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Is now a bad time to buy the nexus 4?

I have been wanting to try a nexus phone for a while and I am planning on selling my wifes 4S, giving her my iPhone 5 and buying a Nexus 4 to use for myself. The Nexus still seems like it is a new enough device to give me a good android experience but I don't want to get in too late either.

Well, it depends, because the Samsung GS4 is rumored to be out, or at least announced, around April. So, while the N4 is a great phone with the pure Android experience, there might be better options on the horizon. Keep in mind though, if you are always waiting for the next big thing, all you'll ever be doing is waiting.

I don't see why you can't create a Push option for the stock mail app. Its under settings in the Check frequency option of Sync Options.

Anyway this is what I recommend doing, it will also save your battery as you wont have multiple emails syncing and you get a nice app with gestures too.

Forward all your emails from your old email, lets say mac@hotmail.com to your gmail account.

Go into your gmail account (in a browser) under Settings and then go to Accounts.

Add another email address and save.

A email will be sent to your address mac@hotmail.com address requesting permission to send emails from your gmail as if it was sent from mac@hotmail.com

Sync only the gmail app.

Now everytime you reply or create a new email you will have a drop down option to select which email it is From ala K9 style but a much improved app.

Thanks for the tip!

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
This isn't proven to increase battery life but worth a try, I've just applied it to my N4 today.

Settings : Mobile&Network : More : Mobile broadcasts ( could be cell broadcasts for US)

disable all those options.

Could save battery.

EDIT:
This ISNT proven to increase battery life but worth a try, I've just applied it to my N4 today.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.