Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

Empty Billboard (1960d)

(The 1960d project is a Prontor 125 rangefinder lens modified to fit my Canon 60d)

1/2500
ƒ2.8
ISO200
50 mm

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Am I seeing the curvature of the Earth in this photo I took or is it just me?

8450051732_054226d8ed_b.jpg

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Taken at the Cape Jervis marina. Some of the locals use tractors to tow their fishing boats.

----------

You beat me to it!

You are getting old in your slow age Doylem! ;)

Harry the Herdwick and chum...

herdwicks.jpg

These guys look well designed to cope with your bitter Winters, do they just follow you around the place Doylem? The painting makes perfect sense now that you explained it to us, initially I thought it was a prank.

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Another one of many from my recent fun shoot.

As always, comments are appreciated!

Katherine by acearchie, on Flickr

I like the overall scene, but I'm not a fan of the harsh shadows from the lighting. I find myself wishing for softer lighting here. Note that I'm hardly an expert in lighting, but I have been reading and taking training classes on this sort of thing, so it has made me more aware of stuff like this.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I like the overall scene, but I'm not a fan of the harsh shadows from the lighting. I find myself wishing for softer lighting here. Note that I'm hardly an expert in lighting, but I have been reading and taking training classes on this sort of thing, so it has made me more aware of stuff like this.

I think it's a very difficult thing to really find a lighting that everyone will really like.

This direct flash style of lighting is very "in" at the moment so I wanted to basically give it a go. I have some much softer lighting ideas for some different shoots but since this style is so simple I wanted to get it out of the way first!

Thanks for the comments.

On the road to Death Valley California...

PHD_3964-XL.jpg

Is this shot a panorama or cropped? If cropped does it look tiny in the frame when shooting?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Taken on the ferry trip the other day, I wanted to see if I could capture the shimmer of the ocean as I saw it.

I like the contrast of the highlights and the shadows. I would probably crop in a little to get the horizon on the top 1/3 of the picture as the moment it feels like a bit too much sea!

Almost exhausted the shots I like from my recent shoot but there are still a few more!

As always comments are appreciated! Slightly annoyed about the stray hairs on this one but I suppose it's an excuse to get knuckled into photoshop and seeing what's what!

Kath + Flo by acearchie, on Flickr

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Is this shot a panorama or cropped? If cropped does it look tiny in the frame when shooting?

That is a cropped shot (cropped in post so not really tiny in the viewfinder). The crop was my attempt to rescue a shot of a scene that I really liked but had to shoot with poor lighting conditions. Of course the best approach would have been to return another day but that's not always possible when travelling on a tight schedule.

Very different lighting conditions later the same day at Death Valley:

PHD_4127-XL.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.