Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braveand

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
64Bit Version

Hi,
I'm using the old V2 version on my Mac Pro 4,1 DP 8 Core and seems to work pretty well.

Despite that I would like to ask for a 64bit version since the sysPref is forced to restard in order to access the app in 32 bit version.

Is it possible?

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Beyond my knowledge to be honest.

No idea how you would make it 64-bit, I've changed the compile flags to 64 but clearly not fixed the problem (if it is a problem...)

Cheers

As for an app icon, if you make one/suggest one ill add it for a new version...

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I'm using V2 on a single 4,1 firmware flashed to 5,1 and fitted with a hex 3.33 GHz W3680 and it seems to be working well.

One request, though. Would it be possible to incorporate a "reset to defaults' button?

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Don't really see much point to be honest, the default values are just whatever I decided to set them to :p

For reference fan speed default is 600 (Intake & Exhaust) and 800 (CPU A) iirc.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Don't really see much point to be honest, the default values are just whatever I decided to set them to :p

For reference fan speed default is 600 (Intake & Exhaust) and 800 (CPU A) iirc.

I'm reasonably happy with the behaviour I've set in conjunction with Hardware Monitor but I was more concerned about getting the start and end points of the ramp back to their defaults, should I need to. I can't remember where they were originally. :)

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I'm reasonably happy with the behaviour I've set in conjunction with Hardware Monitor but I was more concerned about getting the start and end points of the ramp back to their defaults, should I need to. I can't remember where they were originally. :)
I can see how a reset would be handy, but then again, I love my new settings too much to ever change them.

Also, I like the icon of the fan at an angle too much to change it.

Finally, off-topic, but I'll be back in Brighton in a couple weeks, for a couple weeks for a nice visit. I love Brighton! I'll be shooting a time lapse video inside the Dome, if all goes as planned. :)

braveand

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
UPDATE
Mac Pro 4,1 DP 2,93 QuadCore

App works well, "current Value" match "Target Value" for both Intake and Exhaust Fun but not for CPU Fun.

I have a CPU "Target Value" of 600 with a CPU "Current Value" of 1136!
Very Noisy! (with Mac at IDLE! CPU Temp 45C - 115F)

Any inputs of this?
Thanks.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
UPDATE
Mac Pro 4,1 DP 2,93 QuadCore

App works well, "current Value" match "Target Value" for both Intake and Exhaust Fun but not for CPU Fun.

I have a CPU "Target Value" of 600 with a CPU "Current Value" of 1136!
Very Noisy! (with Mac at IDLE! CPU Temp 45C - 115F)

Any inputs of this?
Thanks.

SMC is controlling it then IMO.

Nothing I can do :/

ComposerLady

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Please let me know how to uninstall

Hi, I tried it. I need to uninstall
Could you please let me know where to find the app? Is it under a different name than what you mention here?
I'm using a Mac Pro 8 Xeon.
I am not able to open the fan controller in system preferences without a
"to use fan corol prderences pane, system preferences must quit and reopen." Apparently it must do a few other things as well, since responding to this message doesn't change anything. I've tried the "get info" pane while in system preferences and ticking the open in 32 bit mode - nada
the same problem exists. I would like to uninstall - where can I find it?

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
First rip it out of you control panel.

Then search for "Fan Control" on your system drive. Then click on the + icon to add a refinement. Select "Systems Files" if it's in the list and change it to "Syetem files are included". If the "System files" refinement isn't listed select "Other" and add it in.

You should find 4 system files. Trash them, empty the trash, reboot, and reinstall the SMCFanControl application - which is 64bit, offers more control, and works.

The author should be more clear about which machines this works on instead of saying "tested only on..." and "maybe it'll work for others no guarantee..." It absolutely doen't work on any other system and it can actually damage your machine if you allow it to run for more than about 20 or 30 minutes. No kidding... really.

On a 1,1 for example the CPU fans slow to less than 400RPM and stay there - no matter what. A semi-idle CPU will hit >90˚C and NorthBridge will hit 100 to 120˚C. If something is hitting the CPUs very hard at all then Intel's HALT system features will kick in and that often feels like the system is crashing - rebooting will be very slow - and so on.

Last edited:

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Absolute categorical rubbish that it can damage the machine.

THE SMC MAINTAINS OVERALL CONTROL OF THE FAN SPEED, hence it IS SAFE.

SMC fan control is a worse application IMO, it force sets some fan speeds rather than adjusting minimum speeds and that you have to manually set it. Mine is set and forget.[\u]

Thirdly, it says quite clearly in the title 2009/2010!! I don't have a 2008 or earlier to test on and clearly the fan codes are different.

Finally, who cares if it is 64-bit or not? Yes it would be nice to get rid of the warning but this is a hobby project and I'm not a high end coder.

The app has been downloaded over 1000 times with only a few coming back with problems, which I am quite happy with!!

Each to their own and ill happily release the code for someone to improve it!!

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Absolute categorical rubbish that it can damage the machine.

No it' not. A professional developer just gave you a report. It disabled Apple's ability to control CPU fan speed regardless of what you THINK your code is doing. So if this is how you treat bug reports it's no wonder it doesn't work.

I applaud the courageous effort but so far and over the past 4 years it's been a complete failure on certain models. And a dangerous one at that. Sorry. Pleas document it appropriately until it's repaired. Thanks.

Last edited:

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I thoroughly examined how my Mac Pro's fan control system works. I adjust the *minimum* fan speeds to which the SMC works from, this is also how the MBP fan control software it is based on works and nobody complains about that!!

This is why for some people the fan speeds do not reach their minimums set as the SMC is controlling the actual fan speed. (Ac = Actual, Mn = Min, Mx = Max IIRC.) So if I set my fans to 300 rpm and then load the machine up my fans ramp up automatically. I.e. under SMC control. This is undisputible for the 2009 and later machines.

I just read my first post and nowhere does it say that this software works on 2008 and earlier machines. I have now added clarification in bold.

Clearly, Apple did something differently in earlier machines if your saying the fans do not ramp up automatically via the SMC. I would need access to a 2008 machine to see what's going on or at the very least a sensors output so I can see if it is missing certain fan or temperature sensor codes.

How do you convert an app for 64 bit? You seem to have the knowledge to do that!! :)

Last edited:

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007

Screenshot showing how my software interacts with the fans and temperatures of my 4,1 flashed to 5,1 Mac Pro (W3680).

(Click for bigger)

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I've used this for probably three years now. I do lots of heavy video rendering, and when I'm not using my system, I leave it to render scientific processes in distributed computing via Folding@Home... so it gets used very heavily.

Definitely works better than whatever the built-in controls are on my system. I used to render video with the fans all maxed out like a crazy hurricane every time. With this improved fan control in place, it now ramps up quicker to a lower speed, and maintains a lower fan speed while keeping temps low. I run all the way up to 1200% CPU, and the fans adjust in a smooth, logical manner.

Running in 'stock' mode, the same operations would send my temps into the 150ºF range in a hurricane of fan noise. Now, it doesn't exceed 140ºF... all while producing much less drama. When the CPU use is low or idle, the fans drop down to much quieter levels, thanks to lower base settings.

I'm extremely happy with it on my 2009 4,1 to 5,1 Mac Pro.

Twigg92

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
Aw, what a tease. Downloaded fan control for my 2011 macbook pro and loved it, but I can't have it for my mac pro 2008 (model:A1186). I understand you don't have the code to do it though T-T. I wish I could send you it! I'd even test it on all my fans! I have 5 I think. smcfancontrol (which is junk) says I have 4.
@ people who want 64 bit: does fan control really need more than 2Gb of RAM?

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
It gets annoying that system preferences needs to be restarted into 32-bit mode. Something I can't do!!

rbhun

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Mac Pro 5,1 pci fan speed

Hi
I have been struggling with an 8-core MP5,1 which I have installed a GTX680. Its working really nice, stock drivers, no flashing, straight out of the box with 10.8. no startup screen but I can live with that. But the fans are really loud, and would not quiet down eventually. It seems that the system cannot read the temp of the GTX, as that info is missing now from the Temp Meter, and it sends the fans into overdrive. Its the same fan speed in idle as with GPU benchmarks running.
I have smcFan installed, that displays the PS fan speed as 1500 and the PCI fan speed, which has a low end of 1500, but it spins around 2100. Now I have tried installing this program, version 2b5, but I dont even get a PCI fan speed readout. Is that normal? I'd love to lower that fan if I can. Thank you.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Hi
I have been struggling with an 8-core MP5,1 which I have installed a GTX680. Its working really nice, stock drivers, no flashing, straight out of the box with 10.8. no startup screen but I can live with that. But the fans are really loud, and would not quiet down eventually. It seems that the system cannot read the temp of the GTX, as that info is missing now from the Temp Meter, and it sends the fans into overdrive. Its the same fan speed in idle as with GPU benchmarks running.
I have smcFan installed, that displays the PS fan speed as 1500 and the PCI fan speed, which has a low end of 1500, but it spins around 2100. Now I have tried installing this program, version 2b5, but I dont even get a PCI fan speed readout. Is that normal? I'd love to lower that fan if I can. Thank you.

You need to stress the GPU some how. Start up a game or something. One you do this the fans will go back to normal. I dont know why this isn't talked about more when adding GPUs that are not from apple. Once you shut the machine down you will have to do this method again. Restarting, sleep, or booting to windows does not effect the fans once you stress the card. Its a pain but if you dont shut your system down then it will be ok.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I dont know why this isn't talked about more when adding GPUs that are not from apple.

The bug actually affects Apple's own cards as well. Shows how comitted they are to the professional content creators who kept the company afloat in the 90s.

royercas

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
Not working in macbook Pro 2010 17"

Hi Concorde, As seen in this attached file the old 1.2 version from Lobotomo was working and taking care of my MacBook temp.

Found yours, installed V2 as my macbook pro is 1 Processor (2 cores) but, in "Current Values" & "Target Values" is showing just "-1 RPM" value , also, 0.0ºC in temperatures. So, I think its not doing the job, I even installed the newest V2b5, just in case and neither does. Installed back 1.2 from lobotomy and it works fine.

Any tip to make it work? I trashed the prior lobotomo 1.2 files, even one preference file I found in preferences.

Thanks!
Rog

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.