Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
and the kingston 16gb is on sale at superbiiz 111 after coupon.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1534916/

yeah, but unless I am missing something you can get the Corsair Vengeance 16GB for $84 at Amazon right now, so you can save $27 by giving up a little latency (newegg has it for $130?)....

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...=1359651662&sr=8-4&keywords=corsair+vengeance

Edit: It's all about what you are willing to spend. I'm happy with my $48 16GB 1333mhz set in my Mini (at least for now until I decide my wife needs 16GB in her Macbook Pro).

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
Is it cheaper to get the latest Mac Mini with just 4GB of RAM and upgrade to 16GB myself or go with the full amount of RAM from the beginning?

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
If I buy the basic Mac Mini will I have to get two 8GB's of RAM to get to the maximum of 16GB and sell the 4GB of RAM the Mini initially comes with?

FranciscoM

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Hi!

I'm in the process of buying this:

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1.35V/1.5V SODIMM 204 Pin Memory Module Kit

But, knowing little about it, I'm sure if it's 100% compatible. Well, it IS compatible (Crucial's site says it), but I don't know if it's the BEST available option.
I know next to nothing about speeds, parity,pins, voltage, etc.

Can anyone here tell me if this is the best RAM I can put on my Mac Mini 2012?

Thanks in advance.

Ola Nuno

Gostava de saber se compraste a memória para o Mini? Eu adquiri o meu há alguns dias e estava a pensar em fazer upgrade para 16gb através da Crucial mas gostava de ter feedback de alguém que já tenha comparado a memoria.

Cumprimentos

bookspinner

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Is 10GB of RAM (8+2GB) better than the stock 4GB of RAM? (2+2GB)

I bought one stick of 8GB RAM today, since I thought that I might not need 16GB of RAM for my mini and I *could* buy another 8GB in the future to max the RAM out. It seems that it is not advisable to mix the RAM with different capacities. Can someone tell me how big is the difference between the 10GB and 16GB of RAM?

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
I think it would be best for you to get the 4GB out and just use the one stick with 8GB. You'll have double the power and can double it again in the future.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
If you only use one stick or RAM it will not run in Dual Channel which will cut your memory bandwith.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
so which one is better? 1x8GB or 2+8GB (10GB)?

Honestly I wouldn't use either. Your memory runs in Dual channel mode when two identical sticks of RAM are placed in each slot. If you mix and match the size and speed you can run into problems. Save up the cash and get two 8 gig sticks and be done with it.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Honestly I wouldn't use either. Your memory runs in Dual channel mode when two identical sticks of RAM are placed in each slot. If you mix and match the size and speed you can run into problems. Save up the cash and get two 8 gig sticks and be done with it.

this was more correct with older gear.

2010 c2d. and older

it is still true, but less so due to advances in intel cpu and the chipset it is in.

If the op is routinely exceeding his 4gb ram waiting for the money to buy 16gb is not the way to go. My self I have found that most users can get away with 8gb ram. more then likely he could buy this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004Y4XAAK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

full amazon return policy and a very good price.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
this was more correct with older gear.

2010 c2d. and older

it is still true, but less so due to advances in intel cpu and the chipset it is in.

If the op is routinely exceeding his 4gb ram waiting for the money to buy 16gb is not the way to go. My self I have found that most users can get away with 8gb ram. more then likely he could buy this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004Y4XAAK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

full amazon return policy and a very good price.

Good to know, the last system I built was a CD2 so that may be where I got my info. Still I'm not sure I would ever want to mix and match RAM, but I'm kind of OCD about things being the same. I agree that if he is maxing out his 4GB that anything he can add at this point will benefit, but don't expect it to perform as well as a matching pair of good RAM.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
this is an error;

pc-3 12800 ram is 1600 speed and is correct for a 2012 mini.

divide the 12800 by 8 = 1600

I have made this error myself.

You are correct. My mistake. I know the difference but for whatever reason...early in the morning, etc.. I didn't think it through properly when I typed it out. It's a bit odd because I actually thought about it later that day and realized I had made that mistake in my post but I didn't have the time right then to go back to correct it. In order to not confuse others reading this thread I just made corrections to my original post. Thanks for taking the time to point out that error.

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
You are correct. My mistake. I know the difference but for whatever reason...early in the morning, etc.. I didn't think it through properly when I typed it out. It's a bit odd because I actually thought about it later that day and realized I had made that mistake in my post but I didn't have the time right then to go back to correct it. In order to not confuse others reading this thread I just made corrections to my original post. Thanks for taking the time to point out that error.

Brain freeze. Brain fart. Whatever.

I wish I had 1 dollar for every time it happened to me.

But you are welcome for the the thank you. phil

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
I just purchased the Corsair Vengence 16gb. Unfortunately my mini doesn't arrive until the 12th.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Bought the Kingston 8GB from Amazon and everything is running smooth.
Arrived today and installation was a breeze. ;)

Thanks for the help.

----------

Ola Nuno

Gostava de saber se compraste a memória para o Mini? Eu adquiri o meu há alguns dias e estava a pensar em fazer upgrade para 16gb através da Crucial mas gostava de ter feedback de alguém que já tenha comparado a memoria.

Cumprimentos

Francisco, comprei os 8GB da Kingston pela Amazon. 5 estrelas, como sempre.
Gostava de ter ido para os 16GB, mas, para além do preço, se calhar não se justificava para o que faço com o Mini.

FranciscoM

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Bought the Kingston 8GB from Amazon and everything is running smooth.
Arrived today and installation was a breeze. ;)

Thanks for the help.

----------

Francisco, comprei os 8GB da Kingston pela Amazon. 5 estrelas, como sempre.
Gostava de ter ido para os 16GB, mas, para além do preço, se calhar não se justificava para o que faço com o Mini.

Olá Nuno

Decidi-me pelos 16 da Crucial e estou muito satisfeito com a memória e com o serviço deles, encomendei na quarta e na sexta de manha já tinha o material, ficaram por mais ou menos 105€ já que um colega tb precisava de memoria especifica para um HP e rachamos os portes.

Cumprimentos

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Olá Nuno

Decidi-me pelos 16 da Crucial e estou muito satisfeito com a memória e com o serviço deles, encomendei na quarta e na sexta de manha já tinha o material, ficaram por mais ou menos 105€ já que um colega tb precisava de memoria especifica para um HP e rachamos os portes.

Cumprimentos

Agora já é tarde, mas viste o preço do mesmo artigo na Amazon.co.uk?
É que devia ficar muito mais barato, especialmente porque eles têm uma cena chamada "Super Saver Delivery" em que não pagas portes se a encomenda for acima de X. Eu não paguei nada pela minha memória.
Abraço.

PS: se souberes de alguém que queira comprar 4GB da Apple, avisa-me! ;)

FranciscoM

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Agora já é tarde, mas viste o preço do mesmo artigo na Amazon.co.uk?
É que devia ficar muito mais barato, especialmente porque eles têm uma cena chamada "Super Saver Delivery" em que não pagas portes se a encomenda for acima de X. Eu não paguei nada pela minha memória.
Abraço.

PS: se souberes de alguém que queira comprar 4GB da Apple, avisa-me! ;)

Olá Nuno, realmente vi na Amazon UK, fica por 83 GBP (cerca de 100€), mas optei por comprar directamente na Crucial devido ao facto do meu colega precisar da memoria para o HP e pela diferença não ser relevante (5€).Quanto á memoria se souber aviso, eu a minha vou guarda-la por enquanto para o caso do mini precisar de ir á garantia.

Cumprimentos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.