Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I quit in January with e-cigs. It's worked very well.

I used e-cigs and stopped smoking in July 2009. I had smoked 30 a day for 25 years before that and stopped without any withdrawal symptoms. I'd tried cold turkey, gum and patches before and never managed more than a week (which was complete hell and all I thought about was cigarettes).

IMO, they're a brilliant invention :)

BTW - Congrats to the OP: I'm seriously impressed with anyone who can cold turkey giving up cigarettes!

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
I gave up nearly five years ago and did it cold turk. The hospital wouldn't give me a much needed operation unless I did and at that stage I wasn't sure that I'd like 'dead'
KGB:)
Oh and Orbs very well done, just stay with it.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Nice job quitting. Watch out, though, it's easy to slip back into it. What worked for me was just reminding myself what my doctor told me, that every time you smoke you kill airsacs in your lungs that will never rejuvenate. Apparently, you only have so many at birth, and those that die never replinish themselves. You can never make up for the damage you do each time you smoke.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Really good on you. I had a girlfriend that quit with my support for the duration of a three year relationship. A week after I broke up with her she was chain smoking again.

Keep up the good habits.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
4) Reward yourself. When you hit one month, buy yourself something. I'm treating myself to another tattoo next week. With all the money you're saving, you deserve it!
This.

When I quit smoking nearly 4 years ago, I had enough money to buy an iPod (a 1st gen touch) within a couple of months. That was my first Apple-product ever, and the halo effect did the rest.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Update:
Still haven't touched a cigarette! And I dont miss them. Guess I'm one of those lucky people that was able to quit cold turkey without side effects. Looks like I'm done for good.

Don't take that attitude. I quit for four months using the exact same method you did. I just quit. Smoked my last cigarette before bed on a Sunday night and stayed clean for four months. All it takes is the right set of circumstances to get you thinking, "I wonder what one cigarette would be like now?" Before I knew it I was back to a half a pack a day. I really miss the money I was saving...

Congratulations on your success so far, but never think that you can't backslide.

garbeth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Brisvegas
Don't take that attitude. I quit for four months using the exact same method you did. I just quit. Smoked my last cigarette before bed on a Sunday night and stayed clean for four months. All it takes is the right set of circumstances to get you thinking, "I wonder what one cigarette would be like now?" Before I knew it I was back to a half a pack a day. I really miss the money I was saving...

Congratulations on your success so far, but never think that you can't backslide.

Just oh so true...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Yeah i know there are different ones, but none are like the real thing. Vapor and smoke are just two very different things.

I'm curious why you found the difference to be a turn off? Surely it's the nicotine you care about?

I don't smoke but I've tried smoking both an e-cig and regular cigarettes and I preferred the e-cig by far, pretty much had no downsides as far as I could tell. They both gave a nicotine hit.

The only reason I don't use an e-cig is I can't be faffed with the hassle of being addiction to something, I'd probably consider picking the habit up when I'm older though as nicotine is quite neuro-protective.

Edit: damned threadromancy!

why do people even begin to smoke!?

Nicotine is a drug, it gets you high. It happens to be quite addictive and the usual way of consuming it is very physically harmful but it has upsides and when you're young carefree and not particularly invested in your own future I can see how it would be an appealing option.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Seriously? You resurrected a two year old thread to ask why people smoke? Wow.

Technically he didn't resurrect this thread. A spammer had done it which brought it to the top again, and he replied. I had deleted the spam post so it ended up looking like he brought it up.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
why do people even begin to smoke!?

The top answers are always to be in with the crowd and it just happened.

Cold turkey isn't always a good way to quit it can cause serious health issues. I quit using champix and it worked like a charm. Didn't touch a cigarette for a year or so then the hmm I wonder kicked in and I was back to square 1. So I'm starting again with champix. Tomorrow will be my 'quit day'

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Seems like OP is in time out right now. I hope he comes back and gives us a update!

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I'm curious why you found the difference to be a turn off? Surely it's the nicotine you care about?

I don't smoke but I've tried smoking both an e-cig and regular cigarettes and I preferred the e-cig by far, pretty much had no downsides as far as I could tell. They both gave a nicotine hit.

The only reason I don't use an e-cig is I can't be faffed with the hassle of being addiction to something, I'd probably consider picking the habit up when I'm older though as nicotine is quite neuro-protective.

Edit: damned threadromancy!

Nicotine is a drug, it gets you high. It happens to be quite addictive and the usual way of consuming it is very physically harmful but it has upsides and when you're young carefree and not particularly invested in your own future I can see how it would be an appealing option.

Thx, the good old York people :D

----------

My apologies iPusch.

Apology taken :)
It was funny^^ a bit -__-

----------

Technically he didn't resurrect this thread. A spammer had done it which brought it to the top again, and he replied. I had deleted the spam post so it ended up looking like he brought it up.

What did the person before even write? :confused:
Can't remember something bad :-//

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Hey guys, i'm proud to say i've been a non-smoker for 3 weeks tomorrow. It's so liberating and empowering, i feel like i can do anything now. Here are some tips that really helped me out.

1) Quit on a Sunday night after a weekend of heavy drinking and smoking.
2) Have you last cigarette before bed that night, and make sure it's the last one in the pack, so you don't have anymore.
3) Monday morning is a new day, new week, and you don't have any cigarettes. Now is your big chance. Jolly ranchers helped me beat the craving, the first few days were the most brutal. Oh, and chocolate, LOTS of chocolate.
4) Reward yourself. When you hit one month, buy yourself something. I'm treating myself to another tattoo next week. With all the money you're saving, you deserve it!

Now whenever i have a craving, i beat it just by thinking i've been smoke free for 3 weeks and it would be stupid to ruin it now. I've also trained my mind to associate cigarettes with poison instead of pleasure. You might gain a bit of weight if you don't go to the gym, but damn, it's so worth it.

And hey man... Your tread got alive again :))
Have you ever smoked again yet?

----------

Just spam.

Okay, I am bad in defining spam... Hope I am not spamming am I? Cause I've posted a lot lately (like in the last 5 minutes)
But only in two posts, so it should be okay right?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Okay, I am bad in defining spam... Hope I am not spamming am I? Cause I've posted a lot lately (like in the last 5 minutes)

No, spam.

Spam is the use of electronic messaging systems to send unsolicited bulk messages, especially advertising, indiscriminately. While the most widely recognized form of spam is e-mail spam, the term is applied to similar abuses in other media.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
When I was in the hospital last year , The guy in the bed next to mine just came into the room and he was telling the nurse that he came in for a collapsed lung . They asked him how'd that happen and he said I've been smoking constantly since I was 17 and now i'm 24.

sandyA

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
I'm goin on 3 weeks not smoking. Today I was having a real bad withdrawl which felt like it lasted all day. I was a smoker for 15 years. I just want to know if its normal? And what can I do to calm it? Please need advice don't like this feeling. Can't even care for my kids :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.