Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anarchopath

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I guess this is a two part question:

1. There's a 'youtube hd' extension for firefox and chrome, is there one or an equivalent for safari? (it makes youtube videos play in HD by default)
2. I wouldn't even start this thread if I could figure out how to search the safari extensions website. How do you search for safari extensions?

I'm brand new to Mac. Thanks for any help!

Volkan1984

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Youtube extensions for Safari

Hi,

1. There is no direct Youtube HD extension for Safari, but there is this one that seems a bit more extensive: YouTube Options for Apple Safari (found at https://extensions.apple.com/ under Entertainment, then CMD+F and copy-paste (CMD+C, then CMD+V) the name of the extension).
2. You cannot search the Safari extension page as there is no search function for it. You have the Search-box in the upper right corner but that searches only the rest of the Apple website.

Hope to have helped you.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I guess this is a two part question:

1. There's a 'youtube hd' extension for firefox and chrome, is there one or an equivalent for safari? (it makes youtube videos play in HD by default)
2. I wouldn't even start this thread if I could figure out how to search the safari extensions website. How do you search for safari extensions?

I'm brand new to Mac. Thanks for any help!

You can use the Youtube5 extension and in the settings tell it to always show 720p.

anarchopath

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Wow... I really didn't want to have to use Chrome :(

Not being able to search for extensions is such an obvious oversight that they had to have made a calculated decision to not allow it. Apple must have blocked the youtube hd extension too because it's on the other 2 major browsers.

Thanks guys :)

Volkan1984

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
I don't really see why you *have* to use Chrome. We gave multiple solutions to your issue which work perfectly fine and even give you more options, like blocking ads and such?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Wow... I really didn't want to have to use Chrome :(

Not being able to search for extensions is such an obvious oversight that they had to have made a calculated decision to not allow it. Apple must have blocked the youtube hd extension too because it's on the other 2 major browsers.

Thanks guys :)

The Youtube5 extension I linked works in Safari.

anarchopath

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I don't really see why you *have* to use Chrome. We gave multiple solutions to your issue which work perfectly fine and even give you more options, like blocking ads and such?

The mac is brand new and I want it to be super thin. I'm thinking about doing Lion Restore to get it as lightweight as possible (nothing but the system and browser). So I'd like to avoid extensions that have "more options".

Alas, I prefer a bloated extension over an entire extra browser, so I went with YouTube Options. YouTube5 seemed even more complicated and bloaty, though I'm sure it's great for some people.

Again, thanks for all your help. :)

Volkan1984

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
TS, great to have been of help to you! I actually installed Youtube Options myself, hadn't thought of always wanting to play YT in HD but your request sounded quite logical :)

So TY too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.