Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
The error I get is "Wow, you exceeded the number of package names this APT is capable of"

mjwxi.png

I can delete a few sources and the error disappears. I don't want to use this solution though.

I searched online and heres the solution that I found.

solution to fix it is just increase the value APT::Cache-Limit at the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf.
sudo gedit /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf.
Then put this code
APT::Cache-Limit "100000000";
at the below on that file and then save it.

Next typing this code on your terminal
sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update --fix-missing
and you won’t find apt cache limit again in the next time.

When I type sudo gedit /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf I get an error about the command not being valid.

Any suggestions or ways to increase the limit?

Last edited:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Do you really need so many sources?

xsellize, sinfuliphone, and biteyourapple should be the only ones you add.

brittag

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Manually changing the cache limit doesn't actually change anything important/relevant to this problem - in other words, it won't help. This error message happens because Cydia is currently based on a version of APT that can only support having 65k packages available from your installed sources.

You can fix the problem by removing some of your sources (by going to Manage -> Sources -> Edit on iPhone/iPod touch or to Sources -> Edit on iPad). That will put the number of available packages below 65k so that you can use Cydia again.

If some sources seem to not have a "remove" button when you try to remove them, that usually means they were installed as packages. Go to Manage -> Packages on iPhone/iPod touch (or to Installed on iPad), find the package with the source's name, and uninstall that package.

Keep in mind that pretty much the only way to get to this error message right now is to have several pirate repositories installed (since the default repositories only add up to 41k packages, and legitimate non-default repositories tend to be small). So, to work around this limitation, it's best to uninstall pirate repositories and keep legitimate ones. The default legitimate repositories are BigBoss, Cydia/Telesphoreo, Dev Team, ModMyi, and ZodTTD/MacCiti.

egabrag

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
[General] Many Cydia sources: Wow, you exceeded the number of package names this APT

Guys,
I didn't want to delete every piated source (I love my apps too much!) ...

The second line of the error message mentions the offending source - could be a corrupted file in there. I deleted it.. and the error message went away. Worth a try...

ciao

E

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.