Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This again feels like evolution, not revolution.

Except for the technology that will be implemented to actually make this thinner, smaller, lighter iPad a reality.

It's funny - even on a tech-centric website - that people either ignore or don't even know all that actually goes into these devices.

You know it took a pretty substantial breakthrough in display technology to make the iPad mini as thin as it was (same with the iPhone 5 and its supremely accurate color gamut).

The iPad 5 will likely require an IGZO display as a thinner, lighter device means a smaller battery and thinner display while still keeping the same high-res screen....the first of its kind IGZO screen will set the stage for the retina mini (more pixels can be packed into a tighter space) as well as continuing the color accuracy implemented in the iPhone 5......

I'm not sure what the color gamut is on the retina iPad (I don't think it's as accurate as the iPhone 5?) - just think of that big beautiful retina display with the color accuracy of the 5.....that'll be quite the handheld display.

A display is more than pixels per inch and resolution....

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Nice. Like that they finally shrunk the side bezels a bit. Looks a lot cleaner now. Now to debate whether or not to sell the iPad 3 for this one :confused:

I would hold off selling at this point. This is based off rumor and 'I hope' games. Not actual data. The real iPad design could be something different and you might hate it.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

True, and that's a good way to go about it.

The ugly duckling in the trio is the skinny, tall, iPhone 5.

Out of proportion when it comes to usability (improved vertically, but unchanged horizontally). The real question is: has Apple sealed its fate?

The way they've been clinging to this shape for three years is puzzling. Especially with a world class designer in house.

Perhaps he's shackled to other projects, or just maybe they'll have the courage to change it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hardware isn't the issue. The innovation needs to come with software. iOS 7 needs to be big, not incremental. Hopefully now that Forstall is gone we'll more than crappy maps and Siri providing sports scores.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
New internals - nobody cares.

No, YOU don't care. Which is fine. You can have your opinion. Just as long as you remember that it is your opinion and not universal

Many folks care every much about the internals. Because that, not the enclosure it what will bring the iPad closer to being a valid laptop replacement.

tonyshaker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
I Don't know.

It comes with iOS 7 that has 500 new features. 498 of those are new font styles for mail. :D

Seriously I hope iOS 7 is as attractive as the new iPad 5. I think everyone here wants to see something really fresh from Apple.

Yeah every one here wants to see something fresh from apple but saying that 500 new features 498 of those are new font styles for mail. is not that fair to say is it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
True, and that's a good way to go about it.

The ugly duckling in the trio is the skinny, tall, iPhone 5.

Out of proportion when it comes to usability (improved vertically, but unchanged horizontally). The real question is: has Apple sealed its fate?

The way they've been clinging to this shape for three years is puzzling. Especially with a world class designer in house.

Perhaps he's shackled to other projects, or just maybe they'll have the courage to change it.

Or maybe they happen to like it? Not everyone is in love with big a** phones.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hmmm, how about more Internal memory, because these Applications are Getting Bigger with each Update.

They just released a 128 GB iPad 4

A Fresh New GUI would be Awesome. Evolve is what I say. Unless Apple Really Doesnt Care about people Jailbraking to truly Customize to the users wants and desires.

The vast majority don't have a issue with the GUI and don't jailbreak. So Apple won't change the GUI just to do it. They will change because doing so is better for the majority. Makes it easier, more intuitive etc. I could see them creating a 'kids mode' like they did with Simple Finder for Mac OSX that might be bigger icons and by default all restrictions on with a Guided Access type pass code to switch out. That way you could start it and only the four games you let your five year old play are visible and then jump out quickly to full mode but that's probably about as close to 'multiuser' as they might get. Or any kind of major UI change at this time since most folks are fine with what is currently there

Should I bring fourth the Typcial SD card Slot Request? lol.

Don't bother. They haven't done it in all this time they aren't likely to, no matter how many other companies have

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What about the iPad that isn't even a year old yet? The iPad 3???

And? No one promised that when you buy something a new one wouldn't be released for X time. Your iPad kept working when the ipad 4 and the Mini came out. Assuming you haven't destroyed it by then, it will keep working when the iPad 5 and/or Mini 2 come out.

----------

fresher design ;) dont like paying the same looking thing three times (went from 2 to 3 so now im waiting for the resigned 5th)

Sounds like a personal problem. And one that doesn't and shouldn't dictate how Apple designs their products.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
OMG, please, YES!!

If they put this out as shown, day 1 purchase for me.

Can finally retire the iPad 1. :D

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wasn't the whole point of the bigger black borders so you could hold it without touching the screen accidently?

The software is supposed to be able to tell a holding touch from a tap etc. this is something they will continue to work on, along with hopefully palm detection. Add in better sensors for more detailed detection for handwriting, drawing etc, brightness for having screens visible outside to a much better degree. These are things that can benefit everyone so they will be on the list.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Yeah every one here wants to see something fresh from apple but saying that 500 new features 498 of those are new font styles for mail. is not that fair to say is it.

Completely agree. I was exaggerating on Apple's claim to iOS 6 having 200 new features. Agreed it wasn't fonts but iOS 6 doesn't feel like it has 200 new features to me to consider it a X.0 release. On a positive note I think we're in for a nice surprise with iOS now that Johnny Ive has taken over as its head of design. I'm not sure if we will see some of his work in iOS 7 or if we will have to wait for iOS 8 for that.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010

So what would you consider revolutionary? Just the glass with no bezels or back?

I'm genuinely curious; seems to me there's nowhere else to go, hardware-wise at least, with a device that is basically a glass screen...

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Apple is trying to address the thumb-on-screen thing with software. With iPad mini, they added edge touch detection logic.

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/design/

Funny, I noticed that usually my mini would work as I wanted it to, but not necessarily as I expected given that my thumbs were touching the edge of the screen. I can't remember the exact gestures, but I recall thinking "I don't think this would have worked on my old iPad if I was touching part of the screen." First time I have seen confirmation that they specifically addressed this in the software.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
The software is supposed to be able to tell a holding touch from a tap etc. this is something they will continue to work on, along with hopefully palm detection. Add in better sensors for more detailed detection for handwriting, drawing etc, brightness for having screens visible outside to a much better degree. These are things that can benefit everyone so they will be on the list.
Can Apple implement this software and keep the bezel?
My thumb is not transparent.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Seriously I hope iOS 7 is as attractive as the new iPad 5. I think everyone here wants to see something really fresh from Apple.

Not me. I really don't care about a fresh new GUI for iOS. I want stability in the device, in my data connections and perhaps more APIs for developers. I am fine with the basic UI for the OS because I'm generally in apps so that is what needs to improve.

I don't need to be able to hang icons off the grid or have them spin and flip. Or a moving wallpaper. Or most of the things that folks add when they jailbreak. I'm to really bothered by the burying of wifi etc in the settings enough to mess with my stuff but if Apple gave us the option to have them in the task bar I would turn it down. I don't care about a universal and accessible file system like the Finder outside of perhaps having a single bucket for common file types like PDFs. Or even just a bucket that we can't see directly so that we can cut the headaches of switching apps or file sharing project files etc (which right now require sharing from the app bucket to the iTunes file sharing bucket). I would also love to see iOS and iTunes get it together on backups so that it detects things like you aren't syncing contacts OTA to anything or to iTunes and warns you, backs up app data and texts separately so if you delete an app by accident you can restore just that data without wiping the whole thing or just texts and no other data etc.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Completely agree. I was exaggerating on Apple's claim to iOS 6 having 200 new features. Agreed it wasn't fonts but iOS 6 doesn't feel like it has 200 new features to me to consider it a X.0 release. On a positive note I think we're in for a nice surprise with iOS now that Johnny Ive has taken over as its head of design. I'm not sure if we will see some of his work in iOS 7 or if we will have to wait for iOS 8 for that.

Seeing that Jonny got his new title of Human Interface Design late last year, I'm going to say iOS 8. It's too soon to see his influence, in my opinion, in iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.